So he kinda sucks at 3B (as reported by yours truly) but if he keeps hitting like this he's got a role. Insane what statcast has as his percentile for BA. We are in a new era boys. If you can hit 280 as a player you are almost assuredly an average regular all things considered. And he's got some pop. 

sosa.png

Interesting profile, a guy that can probably hit a bit, but isn't a great athlete and probably will need to hit like 280/320/420 to be a solid regular. Honestly maybe he can do it.  In today's game if you can hit for average with pop it carries value, it's rare. 

• Like 2

Good to see a breakdown. Glad he's starting to hit. I remember last week or two Harold's leg lift saying he hopes Sosa gets demoted soon. Wonder what his reasoning for hating him so much is. 

• Like 3

He's only hitting .200 OPS points higher than the $75 million man.

Like with Vaughn, the real "settling in average" is NOT going to be much higher than a 625-675 hitter, and that's not good enough with below average fielding and baserunning speed as well.   Too many K's.   Maybe 12-15 homer power, which one again isn't enough for third with all the lack of power up the middle.

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

He's only hitting .200 OPS points higher than the $75 million man.

Like with Vaughn, the real "settling in average" is NOT going to be much higher than a 625-675 hitter, and that's not good enough with below average fielding and baserunning speed as well.   Too many K's.   Maybe 12-15 homer power, which one again isn't enough for third with all the lack of power up the middle.

ideally he slots in as a good utility guy. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, ron883 said:

Good to see a breakdown. Glad he's starting to hit. I remember last week or two Harold's leg lift saying he hopes Sosa gets demoted soon. Wonder what his reasoning for hating him so much is. 

The exact same it was for Korey Lee last year.

Just abysmal. 

Colas as well.  Finally, Ramos doesn't look close to ready, either.

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

ideally he slots in as a good utility guy. 

Yep. Let him be a short stop gap until Colson is ready next year and move him to the bench.

(depending on what rest of infield looks like)

Edited by Bob Sacamano
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

This is a team that has the woeful Nicky Lopez and Mendick and we’re talking about a player who has been raking as a utility guy?  FFS.  Play him and bat him 2nd. Let’s find out what he can really do.

and DFA, Lopez, and Mendick as soon as August hits. 

Edited by GreenSox
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ron883 said:

It tells me that he ain't a Getz boy. Which means that he's developing on his own.

Make Sosa the director of player development.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Yep. Let him be a short stop gap until Colson is ready next year and move him to the bench.

(depending on what rest of infield looks like)

Sosa can never play big league SS.

3B and 2B are questionable enough.  He will kill the confidence of the pitching staff.

11 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

3B and 2B are questionable enough.  He will kill the confidence of the pitching staff.

I think third is his weakest position. He’s played way more at second and shortstop

38 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

I didn’t say he would play SS… I meant short, stop gap: not the position (I would have said SS…..) the idea that maybe your 2B is a guy who can play SS and slide over when Colson is ready.

Just let him play. He’s always struggled at first at each level before figuring it out. He’s still got a chance to be a second rate starter in this league. 

• Like 6

757 career MiLB numbers....that translates to about 675 at the major league level.

Still just .597 OPS in 342 MLB at-bats, 11 homers.

Semien career 765 OPS at the major league level.

Much better defense after Ron Washington got a hold of him in OAK.

841 ops in nearly 1500 minor league at-bats.

USING the same "discount" rate between the two, would be a 671 major leaguer...with below average defense, that's something like a 1-1.5 fWAR player.

Lucky to be much better than replacement level.

OFC, Semien was an All-Star and occasional MVP candidate...Sosa will be quite fortunate to get to 1000 MLB at-bats.

6 hours ago, Quin said:

It tells me that he ain't a Getz boy. Which means that he's developing on his own.

Make Sosa the director of player development.

Developing on your own is actually being a Getz boy.

after the first post I thought, “does he actually suck at third or did he just come up in the white Sox system”?

I have said it in a couple of other places, but once Yoan is back, move him off of 3B.  The kid is a 2B for sure.  If he can hit at the .700 OPS end of where he has been,  he's a 10 year major leaguer.  Even with the slow start he is up to an 88 RC+ which is 20th (with Marcus Semien) among MLB 2Bs with 200 or more PAs, and has a 92 OPS+ on the season.

If you plot back to his last call up, he has actually put up a .295/.333/.467/.800 line since May 31 (so about 5 weeks now).  That .800 OPS would rank 5th among 2Bs on the season with 200 or more PAs.

• Like 5

Posted (edited)

Okay, good enough...at least to not have to watch Mendick or Remillard or Ramos or whoever trying to play that spot instead.

Give him at least until the end of this season with everyday playing time.

Continue monitoring Baldwin, Ramos, Ja.Gonzalez and Montgomery for how this whole infield puzzle's going to fit together eventually.

Biggest problem remains Benintendi, Fletcher eventually playing CF and Sheets/??? in RF where he doesn't belong.  Should be purely 1B/DH.

Would honestly much rather see Colas in one of those spots, Getz already his own agenda to force Fletcher on everyone to prove he can be right on talent evaluation, but Ramos and Colas are both kind of withering on the vine at present moment.

Edited by caulfield12

2 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

I have said it in a couple of other places, but once Yoan is back, move him off of 3B.  The kid is a 2B for sure.  If he can hit at the .700 OPS end of where he has been,  he's a 10 year major leaguer.  Even with the slow start he is up to an 88 RC+ which is 20th (with Marcus Semien) among MLB 2Bs with 200 or more PAs, and has a 92 OPS+ on the season.

If you plot back to his last call up, he has actually put up a .295/.333/.467/.800 line since May 31 (so about 5 weeks now).  That .800 OPS would rank 5th among 2Bs on the season with 200 or more PAs.

Yea I'd like to see him back at 2nd. He doesn't really have the arm for 3B. Maybe he'd look better on the pivot than trying to stab plays down the line and fire across the diamond. He's not a great athlete so I'd expect an average 2B at best, but it's worth a look before season is over. Get him at least 30 games there once Moncada is back. Lopez should be DFA or traded for a bag of used BP balls.

Since his call up on 5/31, he's hitting .295/.333/.467 in 111 PAs. This recent hot stretch has obviously helped those numbers a lot, but it is encouraging that he's putting up respectable numbers over 100+ PAs. 

• Like 2