• Chris Flexen
    • Mike Clevinger
    • Michael Kopech
    • John Brebbia
    • Steven Wilson
    • Tanner Banks
    • Michael Soroka
    • Chad Kuhl
  2. 2. Which positional players will be traded?

• Luis Robert
    • Paul DeJong
    • Tommy Pham
    • Gavin Sheets
    • Andrew Vaughn
    • Yoan Moncada
    • Eloy Jimenez
    • Nicky Lopez
    • Martin Maldonado
    • Andrew Benintendi

As we’re roughly four weeks away from the trade deadline, I wanted to see who people thought would likely be traded by August 1st.  As such, I’ve created the following multi-choice poll to get people’s thoughts on both our pitchers and positional players who will likely be shopped, even if some of them probably have negative value and would require taking a bad contract in return (ex: Benintendi).

That being said, please vote for all players you expect to be moved and not who you’d personally like to see traded.  For reference, the Sox traded seven players last year and while that was a lot, it seems like this year could blow that figure out of the water.

I think we see a ton of pitchers moved, and not a lot of position players. 

For pitchers I went with Crochet, Fedde, Flexen, Kopech, Brebbia, Wilson, Banks and Soroka.

Hitters, just the top 3 listed in Robert, Pham, and DeJong.

• Like 2

I voted for 10 players to be traded by the deadline.  Guys that are 100% being moved IMO are Fedde, Flexen, Kopech, DeJong, & Pham.  While Fedde and Kopech aren’t rentals, I think it’s obvious the former’s value will never be higher and that the org is probably over dealing with the latter.  As such, I think we are looking at a floor of about five guys being moved.

Beyond that, I think we see three more relief pitchers moved as long as the value is there (Brebbia, Banks, & Soroka).  That leaves Robert & Crochet as my other two choices and while not 100% slam dunks to be moved, I think the market will be there and at least one team will pony up for each of them.

There are a few others who could be moved, with Steven Wilson and Mike Clevinger the most likely.  I just feel the Sox hold Wilson for one more season to enhance his value given his length of control and worry that Clevinger won’t have enough runway between now and August 1st to build interest.

Unfortunately, I don’t see markets for the other positional guys.  If Moncada were back by the deadline and we were willing to eat the bulk of his salary, then I’d vote for him as well but right now his status is a massive question mark.

8 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I think we see a ton of pitchers moved, and not a lot of position players. 

For pitchers I went with Crochet, Fedde, Flexen, Kopech, Brebbia, Wilson, Banks and Soroka.

Hitters, just the top 3 listed in Robert, Pham, and DeJong.

There's just NO WAY that Fedde isn't getting traded...Robert/Crochet much more complicated decisions in terms of risk management vs. return (like when Sox held onto Quintana until the trade DDL, and his ERA was in the mid 4's).

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Trade candidates with stock rising before 2024 Deadline (mlb.com)

Vaughn, DeJong, Crochet all with stock on the rise...

Jose Urena Career Stats - MLB - ESPN

Made another mistake on the margins by not holding onto Jose Urena, who's one of the "trade risers"

Robert should be there too based on his recent standard of play (other than throwing home!!!)

Another good "buy low" candidate would have been Jesse Winker, fwiw.

Honestly think I would look at Arozarena (especially if they hold onto Robert) and Brendan Rodgers for SS.

ADDING.  It can be done.  Those small market teams are having cash crunches that are on the periphery of playoff contention.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 1

As much as I want to see Robert and Crochet traded as the potential returns would be awesome, I don't think either of them get moved.

I went with Fedde, Kopech, Brebbia, and a wildcard in Soroka since hes been much better as a reliever.

Then for the hitters just DeJong and Pham.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

Mr. Feinsand has Andrew Vaughn drawing interest. 

I would trade Andrew Vaughn for anything of value if I had the chance.  He is a guy I just don’t have faith in to hit enough to commit to long-term.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, T R U said:

As much as I want to see Robert and Crochet traded as the potential returns would be awesome, I don't think either of them get moved.

I went with Fedde, Kopech, Brebbia, and a wildcard in Soroka since hes been much better as a reliever.

Then for the hitters just DeJong and Pham.

You don’t think Flexen gets dealt?  Obviously it wouldn’t be a big return, but I think he 100% is traded for something.

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

I would trade Andrew Vaughn for anything of value if I had the chance.  He is a guy I just don’t have faith in to hit enough to commit to long-term.

I agree, if there is a legit offer they should do it. There is nothing special about him.

• Like 2

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

You don’t think Flexen gets dealt?  Obviously it wouldn’t be a big return, but I think he 100% is traded for something.

Yeah I guess I missed Flexen

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Even if you did have faith, he's on the same timeline as Crochet, who "won't be around by the time we're competitive". Thames' work could finally be sinking in, or Vaughn is getting comfortable with any off-season changes to his swing. Hell, Lenyn Sosa can give you what Vaughn has at 1B, and probably fields the position better. 

• Like 1

I didn’t pick Flexen because what winning team would give you anything for him? I also didn’t pick Soroka because he’s owed a fair amount of money for a middle reliever. I think the Sox are committed to moving Robert and Crochet though.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Same.

No team wanted him at $3M or whatever he signed for in the offseason, no team will want him now. And don’t say it’s because he was injured last year because James Paxton signed for $7M and he’s never healthy (prior to this year).

Edited by Bob Sacamano
  • Like 1

Just now, Timmy U said:

I didn’t pick Flexen because what winning team would give you anything for him? I also didn’t pick Soroka because he’s owed a fair amount of money for a middle reliever. I think the Sox are committed to moving Robert and Crochet though.

Soroka was owed 3,000,000 this season and since were halfway done, prorated another team would be on the hook for like less than 1.5 million.

He has a 2.96 ERA as a reliever with a 15.2 K/9! I wouldn't be surprised to see some smart team make that move.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, T R U said:

Soroka was owed 3,000,000 this season and since were halfway done, prorated another team would be on the hook for like less than 1.5 million.

He has a 2.96 ERA as a reliever with a 15.2 K/9! I wouldn't be surprised to see some smart team make that move.

Makes sense. I hope you’re right. It would be nice to get something useful for him.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

No team wanted him at $3M or whatever he signed for in the offseason, no team will want him now. And don’t say it’s because he was injured last year because James Paxton signed for $7M and he’s never healthy (prior to this year).

Based on his numbers last year he should have been in line for a multi year deal at $10 million per season, or more.  He got neither.  No one wanted him.  And even if he had defied the odds of pitchers skipping spring training and being decent, that probably doesn't change.  It's hard not to point at the obvious reason why, but Mike Clevinger is not a wanted commodity around MLB.

• Like 2

I really wonder what Crochet will demand in a trade. He's without question an ace with top tier stuff and good control on his contract. But the Sox are pitching him into the ground, and I don't see how he can remain a starter for a team's playoff run. Will teams gamble the house in him when he likely won't be able to start for an extended postseason run?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

Honestly, I think someone acquires Flexen for rotational.  In some ways, he may be a decent guy to pair with Crochet if you’re looking to temporarily ramp down his innings until the playoffs.  I don’t disagree that he won’t command much, but soaking up innings above replacement level has some value to it.

As for Soroka, he’s been good as a reliever and is only owned $1M for the final third of the season.  I’m less confident about him getting moved, but don’t think the money will the primary factor.  Honestly, I could see the Sox holding him if they don’t at least get a Grossman type return.

24 minutes ago, T R U said:

He has been really good out of the pen.  I think that 100% for sure a team takes a chance on him, and it will be probably be a smaller budget team trying to get a good bargain on a guy without a big name as a reliever.  There just isn't enough pitching around for teams to avoid most of our relievers.  The other consideration here is that Soroka is a free agent in 3 months.  He's gone, 100% for sure.  Even if it is a crappy rookie league relief pitcher, the Sox take what they get for him.  Personally I think they get something interesting as I explained why above.

• Like 2

I don’t think it’s going to be a ton of moves as everyone is predicting. I can see it being just Feede, Kopech and Pham. 

Pulling off 6/7+ trades in the next 24 days seems like a tall task for Getz.