7/6 Games

7 hours ago, Capn12 said:

I mean.....78 K's in 158 ABs. You're right, he isn't striking out 50% of the time, it is only 49.4%.

And no, it hasn't gotten better in A ball, it has gotten worse.

You have to divide by plate appearances, not by at bats. 

• Thanks 2

26 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

You have to divide by plate appearances, not by at bats. 

It’s 6:30am here and I’ve been up since 5… that said… what’s the difference? ?

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, hi8is said:

It’s 6:30am here and I’ve been up since 5… that said… what’s the difference? ?

BBs count as a plate appearance, but not an at bat. 

So if you come to the plate 10 times and you have 2 hits, 2 BBs, 4 Ks, and 2 fly outs, your batting average would be .250 (2 hits divided by 8 at bats), and your K% would be 40% (4 Ks divided by 10 plate appearances). 

Wolkow has struck out 42% of the time this year (44% since getting called up to A ball). 

Edited by SoxBlanco
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Capn12 said:

I mean.....78 K's in 158 ABs. You're right, he isn't striking out 50% of the time, it is only 49.4%.

And no, it hasn't gotten better in A ball, it has gotten worse.

So it’s a 44% K rate overall. With a really good 12% walk rate. That lacks context though. He struck out 28 times in first 48 PA. Then the hitting instructors came and worked with him. He has a 174 wRC+ in Low-A as an 18-year-old. 

36 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

BBs count as a plate appearance, but not an at bat. 

So if you come to the plate 10 times and you have 2 hits, 2 BBs, 4 Ks, and 2 fly outs, your batting average would be .250 (2 hits divided by 8 at bats), and your K% would be 40% (4 Ks divided by 10 plate appearances). 

Wolkow has struck out 42% of the time this year (44% since getting called up to A ball). 

Duh… it’s now 7:30 here, I’ve had a cup of coffee and my brain is somewhat functional. ?

2 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

So it’s a 44% K rate overall. With a really good 12% walk rate. That lacks context though. He struck out 28 times in first 48 PA. Then the hitting instructors came and worked with him. He has a 174 wRC+ in Low-A as an 18-year-old. 

Just came in to repeat this.   Dude struggles to start, and then settles in.  This is a pattern for him.

13 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Just came in to repeat this.   Dude struggles to start, and then settles in.  This is a pattern for him.

If I've learned anything, it's that both Pedro and Sox fans have no time for this.

I definitely think he is improving, but lets not sit here and get all googly eyed at the power, without at least admitting that there is still a LOT of work to be done on the free swinging.

And yeah, that is what I get for assumption on the MILB stats, assuming PA was the first stat. So 78 K's in 184 PAs. That is still WELL over 200 K's in a normal season, in Rookie/A ball. That'd be new MLB record-esque against better competition. Hopefully he continues to improve, he clearly is trending up lately.

I also feel pretty safe in saying his absurd .529 BABIP won't be a normal thing, either.

59 minutes ago, Capn12 said:

I definitely think he is improving, but lets not sit here and get all googly eyed at the power, without at least admitting that there is still a LOT of work to be done on the free swinging.

Being in low-A implies that there is a lot of work to be done. It's creepy when the dour mob tries to clobber someone for pointing out a positive in the system. He's an 18-year-old holding his own in low-A. That is a big deal. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, WestEddy said:

Being in low-A implies that there is a lot of work to be done. It's creepy when the dour mob tries to clobber someone for pointing out a positive in the system. He's an 18-year-old holding his own in low-A. That is a big deal. 

This is the type of prospect the white sox have needed since the early aughts. We used to love trying out these types and although it hardly ever hit (Frank the one big exception and I guess TA for a minute, edit: also, Robert, who of course was a big KW scouting win) they do occasionally turn into superstars. If we had acquired him via some trade as a Tatis Jr like WC and he was doing this everybody would be going gaga. 

He's a nice prospect, probably will move into some offseason top 100 lists, no reason to really say much more or less at this time.

Edited by chitownsportsfan
  • Like 1

I don't think it's worth ignoring his k rate, but once he moved out of AZ it became less of a focus because he is so young and kanny is really hard. Or has been a really hard transition for our hitters, especially high school ones. Kanny swallowed up Wes Kath, he never could prove himself there. So a streak this hot is something, babip or not. (he also hits the piss out of the ball so I'm not going to really care about high BABIPs with him)

17 minutes ago, bmags said:

I don't think it's worth ignoring his k rate, but once he moved out of AZ it became less of a focus because he is so young and kanny is really hard. Or has been a really hard transition for our hitters, especially high school ones. Kanny swallowed up Wes Kath, he never could prove himself there. So a streak this hot is something, babip or not. (he also hits the piss out of the ball so I'm not going to really care about high BABIPs with him)

And you aren't looking for model consistency of a kid who should be in his draft year out of high school.  You are looking for progress and the ability to adjust.  So far when he has struggled, he has quickly adjusted and gotten better.  There is plenty of time to panic later.

17 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

This is the type of prospect the white sox have needed since the early aughts. We used to love trying out these types and although it hardly ever hit (Frank the one big exception and I guess TA for a minute, edit: also, Robert, who of course was a big KW scouting win) they do occasionally turn into superstars. If we had acquired him via some trade as a Tatis Jr like WC and he was doing this everybody would be going gaga. 

He's a nice prospect, probably will move into some offseason top 100 lists, no reason to really say much more or less at this time.

Kinda thinking of Ron Kittle. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

in current baseball metrics...very few people hit over .300 anymore. .280 has basically become all-star level. .240 with massive power and a decent walk rate can be fine with 30% K rate. Basically Joc Pederson but maybe even more raw power. just not sure if he will be purely DH or if he can play field enough for RF or 3B, but that bat will be prototypical 3 outcome results

Edited by EloyJenkins