Path to .500 in 2025

On 7/11/2024 at 7:37 PM, greg775 said:

What does it matter? Trade DeBong for peanuts (everybody's much-desired younger player) and let TA play SS on a minimum deal. Or DFA Lopez and let him play 2B. We got nobody we're blocking there. Trade Vaughn and Sheets for peanuts and let Abreu play there for grins. Sox seem intent on not playing Colas, etc.

Speaking of Vaughn, why was he the third overall pick in draft? Did people think he'd develop a nice lift and pull stroke? He seems like kind of a bust to me, although he still is only 26.

You haven’t said why it matters.  Why does it matter to sign TA or Abreu.  Both of them have been cut from their respective teams for being terrible.  Why do you want that 

54 minutes ago, joejoesox said:

do people really think the Sox are gonna start the clock on any of their top 10 prospects next year, or even this year (on 7/31).  obviously Thorpe is here, but Colson, Baldwin, Schultz? Schultz has been on a 4IP limit all year

they're gonna be bad next year, whether it'll be worse or better than 2024 I don't think matters much. it'll be comparable that's for sure

Yes, I think it’s all but a certainty that a lot of these guys start reaching next year, many probably in May or June.  But I could see Baldwin in the Opening Day mix and so will some of the other pitchers who will likely be called up after the deadline.

4 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Yes, I think it’s all but a certainty that a lot of these guys start reaching next year, many probably in May or June.  But I could see Baldwin in the Opening Day mix and so will some of the other pitchers who will likely be called up after the deadline.

question I have is, will the Sox spend money on real talent in the off season, because we will have almost an entire roster to replace.  RF, 3B, SS, 2B, 2 to 3 starters, a backup catcher, possibly an entirely new coaching staff.  if they think they're just gonna turn the Sox into Charlotte/BHam Midwest, the record next year probably won't differ from 2024 too much

Edited by joejoesox
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, joejoesox said:

question I have is, will the Sox spend money on real talent in the off season, because we will have almost an entire roster to replace.  RF, 3B, SS, 2B, 2 to 3 starters, a backup catcher, possibly an entirely new coaching staff.  if they think they're just gonna turn the Sox into Charlotte/BHam Midwest, the record next year probably won't differ from 2024 too much

That’s a good question.  To me, next year is going to be a massive transitional season with many of our better prospects getting their first real opportunity.  It probably won’t be pretty overall but my guess is it will be better than the s%*# show that is the 2024 season.  I think they spend some money, but the more impactful signings probably don’t happen until the following offseason.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

That’s a good question.  To me, next year is going to be a massive transitional season with many of our better prospects getting their first real opportunity.  It probably won’t be pretty overall but my guess is it will be better than the s%*# show that is the 2024 season.  I think they spend some money, but the more impactful signings probably don’t happen until the following offseason.

If at all.

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

They will eventually sign some guys for up to $100M each.  Obviously anything beyond that is probably unlikely with Reinsdorf alive.

The largest deal they have ever given out is 75 million. Assuming JR would eventually agree to a 100 million dollar deal is a real stretch in my opinion.  

2 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

$100M vs. $75M isn’t really all that different

To JR 25 million is a LOT different and it's his philosophy over the decades that players aren't worth that kind of money. 

I'm not holding my breath this is ever going to happen under his watch.

They seem to have better luck at dumpster dives.  I don't think it is impossible with 3 lightning in a bottle guys to flirt with .500.

Strange things have happened in baseball.  Imagine if there were 2 solid guys in the pen - oh wait they would be traded #MakeBirminghamBetter,

I will not be surprised with this new playoff system there will be a team that maybe won 79 games,

3 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

To JR 25 million is a LOT different and it's his philosophy over the decades that players aren't worth that kind of money. 

I'm not holding my breath this is ever going to happen under his watch.

Multiple $100 million dollar contracts?  It’s not happening.

It will be one of those contracts, perhaps another big contract but no where near $100 million, and a bunch of dumpster diving in between when they are competitive again.

15 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Multiple $100 million dollar contracts?  It’s not happening.

It will be one of those contracts, perhaps another big contract but no where near $100 million, and a bunch of dumpster diving in between when they are competitive again.

Fun with math.  Taking only historic levels of inflation,  If the Sox were to issue the equivalent of the Albert Belle contract today, it would come out to just under $108 million.  If you followed baseballs average salary inflation it would be worth about $206 million. 

The Sox aren't even keeping up with historic inflation, let alone average baseball inflation, forget top player salary inflation. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, joejoesox said:

I think we all know the answer to that one. And more importantly would anyone with 'real talent' actually want to come to the Sox at the moment?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Chimpton said:

I think we all know the answer to that one. And more importantly would anyone with 'real talent' actually want to come to the Sox at the moment?

'Real talent' can make real money elsewhere and have a chance at winning while they are it. There is no path to .500 for 2025. Probably not 2026 either.

8 hours ago, Chimpton said:

$$$ is it.  But the Sox are going to have another minimal spend off season and for good reason.  You can't polish a turd.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

$$$ is it.  But the Sox are going to have another minimal spend off season and for good reason.  You can't polish a turd.

I beg to differ:

your move, Mr. Getz

I think i'm a lot more positive than most on her because I like the Sox and dont love them. I love the Cubs and hate them if that makes sense. It's easier to see the positives without emotional attachment.

Somewhere in the past year I made a comment that the goal for the Sox should be to acquire guys that were boxed out of MLB ABS. Pham and DeJong fit that and Korey Lee fit that last year. Thorpe is a legit prospect, but is another guy that you can give MLB work too without the pressure of Wins and Losses

The rebuild has been solid so far. Quero and Thorpe are great gets and part of the next good Sox team. Ky Bush has some potential as well. Iriarte is holding his own in AA and Zavala is a teenager (for one more day) in A+ holding his own as well. For the rentals it cost, Nastrini was an intriguing add. 

For the 2024 deadline, I think if guys like Crochet, Robert, and even Kopech are trading the goal is value. Get the players you love whether they are 23 and knocking at the door or 18 year olds that fit what you like to do. Those trades, if they happen are your Sale and Eaton trades, 2 of the 3 bullets are still in the chamber and there is already a lot to show for the rebuild. Fedde also has a ton of value if hes going to be moved. 

I dont think its fair to suggest it was a good idea to move Eloy before. His value has tanked lower, but selling him at even value wasnt the move either. There is no reason to move off money at this point (jerry would probably disagree). Benintendi was a disaster but that's what happens at that level of free agency and at this point, you hold him until hes blocking somebody.

The last draft is looking solid. Gonzalez isnt having a great year, but Wolkow is surpassing a lot of expectations. Grant Taylor looks like a hit and Keener might be a guy. The player taken at 5 today is huge. They cant mess that up like they did with Madrigal and Vaughn. 

When it comes to lower end rentals like Pham and DeJong, I'd love to see them go after some post-hype guys that are blocked. If there is someone that is either hurt this year or that is completely blocked/struggling Id love to see that move. I'd rather have Thorpe than Busch, but Busch is the type of player that the Sox should be going for. You're obviosuly not getting him for someone like DeJong, but a guy in the AAAA bubble would be my target.

The biggest advantage the Sox have is that Wins and Losses dont matter and that there is very few players blocking ABs at the major league level. The more at bats and innings thrown by a guy that could be here in 2026 the better. Take advantage of desperation and 40 man crunch. 

• Like 2

On 7/13/2024 at 11:44 AM, Chicago White Sox said:

If lucky it will be a bit like Renterias first year - a rough year from a win and loss perspective but one where we start to see a first wave arrive and show some initial promise. Not saying they are positioned like that - but by August 1st, if the Sox players can’t do what they need to maximize their trade value and Getz can execute - I could see scenarios where Sox are top 2 farm system. 

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

Forget .500 in 25, the Sox aren't too far from falling under .500 all time.  They currently sit just 18 games over .500 since their founding in 1901.

image.png

And they are under .500 now starting in 1981 when EE and JR took over. 

I'm not reading this entire thread as I am posting for the first time in this thread.

However, a path to .500 for next year is lunacy.  Why be average?  Be bad or go be good.  Being average is exactly what the Bulls were the last three years and refused to tear it down until this year.

Continue to be bad, accumulate talent in the draft and trades and Sox can be competitive again in a couple years.

46 minutes ago, GGajewski18 said:

I'm not reading this entire thread as I am posting for the first time in this thread.

However, a path to .500 for next year is lunacy.  Why be average?  Be bad or go be good.  Being average is exactly what the Bulls were the last three years and refused to tear it down until this year.

Continue to be bad, accumulate talent in the draft and trades and Sox can be competitive again in a couple years.

No sir, you must read all of the comments and at least post a emoji on each comment in order to post a comment.  Thems the rules 

• Haha 1