Path to .500 in 2025

On 7/6/2024 at 10:27 PM, striker said:

I got to thinking about luck, both bad and good. Sox are lucky this year to have Fedde and Crochet having the years they are having. 2 of the best 15 pitchers in ALL OF BASEBALL. That was not something that was predicted. If they don’t trade Cease they have 3 of the top 20 pitchers in baseball. That is pretty awesome. Their bullpen has sucked but they also traded a really good reliever in Santos. Sure he has been injured but he is coming back. They have a ton of blown saves. If they are league average, maybe that’s a 10-15 game win swing. They could have signed Pham in the beginning of the year which would have added wins. Mayne they caved too soon.

Don’t trade Cease or Santos. Robert, Moncada and Santos stay healthy. Sign a bat like Teoscar. Maybe this is a good team in 2024.

My point being, maybe this team is closer to contention than we think. Maybe we don’t have to sell off everyone. My challenge for you is to make a plan to get us close to .500 in 2025 with a $170m payroll. 

This post is endorsed by the great and powerful Wizard of Oz (lover). It's endorsed by greg. I'd imagine some fans who read this post think I have an account named "striker." Nope. ... See, other people do think like greg. I endorse your post!!

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, T R U said:

People need to be prepared of the real scenario where this team is worse in 2025, although with growth. Remember that it’s a very real possibility we go into next year without Crochet, Fedde, and Robert. 

I've said all along the team will be much worse in 2025 once all our pitchers are dealt. And when Robert is dealt. Getz is going to have to fill a roster again this December with clones of Lopez just to make sure we have enough MLB-ready players to field a team.

Edited by greg775

8 hours ago, joejoesox said:

take it however you will, but Bob Nightengale made it pretty clear the Sox are moving on from Grifol after 2024

If true that will be an improvement in itself, but you wonder who they will get to replace him, this team needs a manager and coaches who can help young players develop and teach them some fundamentals. For a start actually playing them instead of ageing veterans way past whatever peak they had.

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, Chimpton said:

If true that will be an improvement in itself, but you wonder who they will get to replace him, this team needs a manager and coaches who can help young players develop and teach them some fundamentals. For a start actually playing them instead of ageing veterans way past whatever peak they had.

Didn't somebody say the Sox had somebody in the minors who was pretty good? I'd personally hire some older baseball guy not married to metrics but has a good feel for baseball. And somebody with an edge. You know my choice is Ozzie but if we can't have him, maybe a Dusty Baker or Ned Yost. Ned might do it if we make it worth his while. Oops I forgot. Jerry won't pay up. What about Ozzie with Robin as his bench coach? Robin can keep him in line if he gets mouthy. 

By the way did anybody see Bill James' twitter (X) rant about advanced metrics ruining the game? And he's the one who started Sabes. By the way if the Sox aren't going to try to field a decent team, they could even sign AJP to a two year managerial deal. If the Sox won't pay a proven stud at least make it fun like Veeck did. Kessinger is younger than Biden and Trump both. A second chance for Don?? Peace out. Oz for president.

Edited by greg775
  • Paper Bag 1

Tankathon | 2025 MLB Draft Order & Lottery Simulator

I'm not sure what's more depressing...being the A's and NOT being able to pick next year until #11, or the White Sox having far and away the worst team in baseball by a full 6 games "over" Miami and Colorado.

Sad.

The old lottery pick can't be in two consecutive years in a row provision.   Double whammy.

7 hours ago, greg775 said:

I've said all along the team will be much worse in 2025 once all our pitchers are dealt. And when Robert is dealt. Getz is going to have to fill a roster again this December with clones of Lopez just to make sure we have enough MLB-ready players to field a team.

With those trades and the current prospects we have inching closer they may be worse but it will be a hell of a lot more enjoyable to watch seeing these guys develop and progress. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, T R U said:

With those trades and the current prospects we have inching closer they may be worse but it will be a hell of a lot more enjoyable to watch seeing these guys develop and progress. 

I really enjoy watching Thorpe and Cannon impress. Sosa has been much better the last month or so, he has my attention. Plus he is hitting .667 against the Cubs ;)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Chimpton said:

names thatve been going around are both in-house names: Jirschele and Santos

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Falstaff said:

I really enjoy watching Thorpe and Cannon impress. Sosa has been much better the last month or so, he has my attention. Plus he is hitting .667 against the Cubs ;)

You are a great fan, Falstaff. Many Sox fans are just sick of all the losing and have either lost interest or been critical of the inept organization.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, T R U said:

How do we know which players are being developed for the Sox and how many for other teams with this weird desire to trade everybody? Would be nice to know who we are developing guys for. A lot of people want to trade Crochet and Robert. I don't think the front office is that dumb to trade two outstanding prospects.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, greg775 said:

You are a great fan, Falstaff. Many Sox fans are just sick of all the losing and have either lost interest or been critical of the inept organization.

I can't blame Sox fans for venting but trolls aside anyone on the board is a true-blue fan.

• Like 2
  • Fire 1

2 hours ago, Falstaff said:

I can't blame Sox fans for venting but trolls aside anyone on the board is a true-blue fan.

We may be former true blue fans but now because of reaching the final straw I want us to lose every game to embarrass Jerry more and more.

On 7/6/2024 at 11:27 PM, striker said:

I got to thinking about luck, both bad and good. Sox are lucky this year to have Fedde and Crochet having the years they are having. 2 of the best 15 pitchers in ALL OF BASEBALL. That was not something that was predicted. If they don’t trade Cease they have 3 of the top 20 pitchers in baseball. That is pretty awesome. Their bullpen has sucked but they also traded a really good reliever in Santos. Sure he has been injured but he is coming back. They have a ton of blown saves. If they are league average, maybe that’s a 10-15 game win swing. They could have signed Pham in the beginning of the year which would have added wins. Mayne they caved too soon.

Don’t trade Cease or Santos. Robert, Moncada and Santos stay healthy. Sign a bat like Teoscar. Maybe this is a good team in 2024.

My point being, maybe this team is closer to contention than we think. Maybe we don’t have to sell off everyone. My challenge for you is to make a plan to get us close to .500 in 2025 with a $170m payroll. 

Kenny? Is that you?

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, greg775 said:

We may be former true blue fans but now because of reaching the final straw I want us to lose every game to embarrass Jerry more and more.

If JR is embarrassed he would have done something constructive after last years mess, instead he gave us a team that will be the worst Sox team ever and one of the worst MLB teams of all time run by a clown manager and a GM that is in over his head but JR loves them because they come cheap.

Edited by The Mighty Mite
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, The Mighty Mite said:

If JR is embarrassed he would have done something constructive after last years mess, instead he gave us a team that will be the worst Sox team ever and one of the worst MLB teams of all time run by a clown manager and a GM that is in over his head but JR loves them because they come cheap.

Nobody is mentioning that this is the 3rd year in a row  that the White Sox have the biggest payroll in the AL Central  Division.

Posted (edited)
51 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

Nobody is mentioning that this is the 3rd year in a row  that the White Sox have the biggest payroll in the AL Central  Division.

Because they gave guys like Moncada and ILOY ridiculous contracts for each having one decent year, I don’t even want to discuss Benintendi.

Edited by The Mighty Mite
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, WBWSF said:

They are all bunched in payroll and the Sox are significantly down from last season and will be even more as soon as this trade deadline but more likely next season.  They didn’t spend up to get to that level this year it was just inflated still 

IMG_4099.jpeg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

They are all bunched in payroll and the Sox are significantly down from last season and will be even more as soon as this trade deadline but more likely next season.  They didn’t spend up to get to that level this year it was just inflated still 

They will also lose a good chunk of expected payroll in the next month.  While those numbers are full year projections, once some established player movements happen, that number will drop, but it will fully depend on who goes.  Robert is at $12.5 million.  If he goes at the deadline, that is between 4-5 million off by itself.  Fedde would save $2-3 million.  Brebbia and Soroka would be good for a million plus each.  Decent chance we finish this season below Minny, who may well add payroll at the deadline.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Kyyle23 said:

IMG_4099.jpeg

Who are they going to move? Seriously. This trade deadline should be interesting. We have Crochet who likely is on some innings maximum coming up. Good luck selling that to fans of a big money contender. I can't remember a big trade deadline trade like that where some contender is supposed to be making a trade that benefits the team next season not this one. Some teams are trying to win now, not in a perennial "wait til next year" mode ...

Then there's Robert. None of us know what GMs are thinking but there are some injury red flags and frankly some production red flags. I heard on the broadcast last night he's walking more which is good. His traditional stats reek (.224, 10 HR, 19 RBI) but of course those don't matter. We'll find out what his value is as he turns 27 on Aug. 3. If he stays healthy he has five or six good seasons left which admittedly are a good number of seasons.

I guess everybody is counting on getting a ton for Fedde and Kopech. Fedde has great stats; Kopech is one of the worst pitchers in baseball. Should be interesting. A 5.31 ERA doesn't excite me but again that stat doesn't matter in analytics. He throws very hard and that's that. Funny that in trading a guy our main selling point is "you can move him to starter and fix him." Also Leasure may get something but gawd knows why with his 5.22 ERA. No offense but in conclusion Fedde and Leasure IMO won't bring much; Kopech will bring very little and you tell me what we're gonna get for Robert (red flag injury) and Crochet (unavailable in postseason nicknamed "Mr. Wait Til Next Year"). Peace out.

p.s. I forgot Eloy. If any team takes on this injury prone alleged slugger, wow. That's all I can say. Can you imagine trading for Eloy? A GM would have to be temporarily out of his mind to acquire one of the biggest busts of all time. Double peace out.

Edited by greg775

4 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Who are they going to move? Seriously. This trade deadline should be interesting. We have Crochet who likely is on some innings maximum coming up. Good luck selling that to fans of a big money contender. I can't remember a big trade deadline trade like that where some contender is supposed to be making a trade that benefits the team next season not this one. Some teams are trying to win now, not in a perennial "wait til next year" mode ...

Then there's Robert. None of us know what GMs are thinking but there are some injury red flags and frankly some production red flags. I heard on the broadcast last night he's walking more which is good. His traditional stats reek (.224, 10 HR, 19 RBI) but of course those don't matter. We'll find out what his value is as he turns 27 on Aug. 3. If he stays healthy he has five or six good seasons left which admittedly are a good number of seasons.

I guess everybody is counting on getting a ton for Fedde and Kopech. Fedde has great stats; Kopech is one of the worst pitchers in baseball. Should be interesting. A 5.31 ERA doesn't excite me but again that stat doesn't matter in analytics. He throws very hard and that's that. Funny that in trading a guy our main selling point is "you can move him to starter and fix him." Also Leasure may get something but gawd knows why with his 5.22 ERA. No offense but in conclusion Fedde and Leasure IMO won't bring much; Kopech will bring very little and you tell me what we're gonna get for Robert (red flag injury) and Crochet (unavailable in postseason). Peace out.

Fedde Pham and DeJong certainly have value.  I know all this stuff exists in a vacuum for you, but sometimes trades happen even when you believe the player sucks 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Fedde Pham and DeJong certainly have value.  I know all this stuff exists in a vacuum for you, but sometimes trades happen even when you believe the player sucks 

All I can say is 'wait and see.' I would argue DeJong has no value (seriously, cmon) and Pham as much as I love him has close to no value. Again ... why would a contender want to mess with either of those guys? Fedde? Hats off to him for a fine statistical season. Let's see what he's worth. He might bring something useful.

35 minutes ago, greg775 said:

I guess everybody is counting on getting a ton for Fedde and Kopech. Fedde has great stats; Kopech is one of the worst pitchers in baseball. Should be interesting. A 5.31 ERA doesn't excite me but again that stat doesn't matter in analytics. He throws very hard and that's that. Funny that in trading a guy our main selling point is "you can move him to starter and fix him." Also Leasure may get something but gawd knows why with his 5.22 ERA. No offense but in conclusion Fedde and Leasure IMO won't bring much; Kopech will bring very little and you tell me what we're gonna get for Robert (red flag injury) and Crochet (unavailable in postseason nicknamed "Mr. Wait Til Next Year"). Peace out.

p.s. I forgot Eloy. If any team takes on this injury prone alleged slugger, wow. That's all I can say. Can you imagine trading for Eloy? A GM would have to be temporarily out of his mind to acquire one of the biggest busts of all time. Double peace out.

?????

Leasure is not getting traded. He's exactly the type of player the Sox need to get right now. Young, raw, full of potential and cost controllable. 

3 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

?????

Leasure is not getting traded. He's exactly the type of player the Sox need to get right now. Young, raw, full of potential and cost controllable. 

I thought Robert had 3 years left on his deal. Why is he not able to stay?

3 hours ago, greg775 said:

I thought Robert had 3 years left on his deal. Why is he not able to stay?

Because by the time this franchise is respectable he'll be nearing or at free agency and JR will NOT pay him especially if he can put together a few more seasons like the one he had last year.

Now if new ownership is in place they may feel differently about him. 

Thus endeth the lesson. 

Edited by Lip Man 1
  • Like 1