GMs skeptical teams meet price for Robert

Robert and Crochet trades sound more like offseason deals rather than TDL with all their so called "red flags".  Robert is not cost effective after 2025 unless he can prove that 2023 was not a fluke.  Crochet had 1/2 season of effectiveness with a probable inning limits in 2024.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Snowy Demon said:

If no one meets the price, is the price right?  Just a question.  

If GMs get the impression that Chris Getz will panic and drop his prices and all they have to do is wait, he is not doing his job.  If it means holding on to someone for a while, so be it.  Rick Hahn played this to perfection with Jose Quintana.

• Like 2

If teams don't meet the sky high price, keep him.  Its really that simple. 

Robert isn't getting traded until next July or the offseason following 2025. 

6 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

If teams don't meet the sky high price, keep him.  Its really that simple. 

Robert isn't getting traded until next July or the offseason following 2025. 

Robert is under control for 3.5 years.  If someone doesn't meet his price, you have this off-season, plus next trade deadline, plus next off season before you really start to get into a depreciation situation.  I get the Crochet situation is unique with only 2.5 years left, and an innings limit for this season, but Robert is really a no need to rush situation.  All it does it push back getting more players into the system.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

6 or 7 years is probably accurate, but with a good front office, and scouting, and development staff, it could take half of that. Larry Himes drafted 
Black Jack 5th, then got The Boy Wonder 10th, which is exactly where they will be after next years draft. Got the Big Hurt 7th....they were ready to go, and then added young Alex 4th. Competent vs. JR yes men.

That stretch lead to perhaps the best sustained success during JR's ownership. Then the strike happened, and they started operating their current style.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

6 or 7 years is probably accurate, but with a good front office, and scouting, and development staff, it could take half of that. Larry Himes drafted 
Black Jack 5th, then got The Boy Wonder 10th, which is exactly where they will be after next years draft. Got the Big Hurt 7th....they were ready to go, and then added young Alex 4th. Competent vs. JR yes men.

That stretch lead to perhaps the best sustained success during JR's ownership. Then the strike happened, and they started operating their current style.

Six or seven years is a really long time.  The Sox have virtually nothing committed to future payrolls outside of Robert and Benintendi.  The farm system is at least average, and is about to get better.  I would think the Sox could be competitive by 2026 with a mixture of continued development of prospects, signing the right players (hah!) and some luck in the health department never hurts.   

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

It will take 6-7 years if the process was just "let getz fail, let new GM start over in 3 years" but there is no baseball process that works that takes that long. Baltimore had about as thorough a teardown as you can get, and did not accelerate it with big signings, and that took 4 years before they were in their window. There is no 6-7 year process for mlb for a competent org.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Lemme stop ya right there.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Fire 1
  • Paper Bag 1

There are too many teams in contention this year for Robert and Crochet not to be traded, I'm very confident they're both gone. whether the Sox get top value, who knows. this is Chris Getz we're talking about 

I'm worried about this Benintendi rumor, would the Sox grenade the trade value of their two biggest chips just to dump an awful contract?

16 minutes ago, bmags said:

It will take 6-7 years if the process was just "let getz fail, let new GM start over in 3 years" but there is no baseball process that works that takes that long. Baltimore had about as thorough a teardown as you can get, and did not accelerate it with big signings, and that took 4 years before they were in their window. There is no 6-7 year process for mlb for a competent org.

Yes, it shouldn't take that long, 100%.  But when the Sox are going to close doors to progress (such as high end free agency, and not spending effeciently in the Latin market, playing marginal veterans instead of the kids, etc) as well as seeing rumors like continuing the KW/RH drafting style by taking a maxed out 1B at full slot in the top 5 of their first draft, and pushing Benitendi out the door at the cost of top prospects to save Jerry money, I feel very justified in feeling like this won't be on the fast end of things.  Plus I don't think the major league teams sees much of a rebound in 2025.

• Like 2

I really think only way a trade happens is 2 fold:

1) Getz just decides he wants to move him and takes a much lower offer than he would have gotten last year

2) Robert starts to really put together a consistent 2-3 week run from here on out and closer to deadline teams see he is healthier and are willing to look past his early struggles to pay something much closer (not the same) as what Robert would have gotten last offseason.

I am hoping #2 happens and I am not supportive of #1 as I think at some point Scenario #2 happens and that is when you should extract value for Robert.  

I think if all goes well, 2027 will be the absolute earliest that this team is competitive again. 6 to 7 years seems pretty ridiculous. Was Bowden being sarcastic or something? Even the last failed rebuild (2017-2019) took 4 years to reach their competitive window. If 2024 is considered year 1 of their unofficial rebuild plan, then theoretically they should be right there in contention by year 2027. Hopefully the White Sox can get a better lottery draw when they are eligible again for the 2026 draft.  
Hopefully Jerry will finally open up his big boy wallet then as well to round out the club! Lol Jk. We all know that’s not happening. Gotta pinch those pennies!! 

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, GreatScott82 said:

I think if all goes well, 2027 will be the absolute earliest that this team is competitive again. 6 to 7 years seems pretty ridiculous. Was Bowden being sarcastic or something? Even the last failed rebuild (2017-2019) took 4 years to reach their competitive window. If 2024 is considered year 1 of their unofficial rebuild plan, then theoretically they should be right there in contention by year 2027. Hopefully the White Sox can get a better lottery draw when they are eligible again for the 2026 draft.  
Hopefully Jerry will finally open up his big boy wallet then as well to round out the club! Lol Jk. We all know that’s not happening. Gotta pinch those pennies!! 

If new ownership arrives in the next two/three years and cleans everybody out it is possible a contention window could be six/seven years away.

It would depend on how aggressive new ownership would be and how much money they would be willing to spend.  

I think Robert will go. I don’t think Getz is going to shoot for the stars on this deal. Similar to the Cease deal. He’ll “settle” for market value and not risk the possibility of injury and poor 2nd half performance. With DiPoto and Dombrowski in the mix, you can get fair value at this deadline. It’s a marriage of Getz wanting to move on from the previous core and those execs selling themselves on a player with a lot of potential.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Scott Merkin Fan said:

I think Robert will go. I don’t think Getz is going to shoot for the stars on this deal. Similar to the Cease deal. He’ll “settle” for market value and not risk the possibility of injury and poor 2nd half performance. With DiPoto and Dombrowski in the mix, you can get fair value at this deadline. It’s a marriage of Getz wanting to move on from the previous core and those execs selling themselves on a player with a lot of potential.

I agree.  If they don't trade him now and he gets hurt again before the end of the season (which is likely to happen) it will be almost impossible to get fair value for him during the off season.   He's healthy now so trade him for a good offer and move on. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Paying the Boras Price for a contract extension for Robert simply is never going to happen...especially when JR doesn't believe he's anything close to a $175-225 million player.

But look at how much they've saved on Giolito, Tim Anderson, Reynaldo, Rodon and Kopech extensions!!!!!

29 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Paying the Boras Price for a contract extension for Robert simply is never going to happen...especially when JR doesn't believe he's anything close to a $175-225 million player.

But look at how much they've saved on Giolito, Tim Anderson, Reynaldo, Rodon and Kopech extensions!!!!!

Is he worth a contract like that currently? I’d say not even close. 

1 hour ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I agree.  If they don't trade him now and he gets hurt again before the end of the season (which is likely to happen) it will be almost impossible to get fair value for him during the off season.   He's healthy now so trade him for a good offer and move on. 

I have a feeling this will happen.

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

If new ownership arrives in the next two/three years and cleans everybody out it is possible a contention window could be six/seven years away.

It would depend on how aggressive new ownership would be and how much money they would be willing to spend.  

Good point. I highly doubt Jerry takes on any more significant contracts (to Jerry’s standards)  Even if he does make it 2027 as the majority owner, and the Sox are ready to round out the roster, Sox fans will likely be pissed off again as Getz will be forced to bargain bin shop.  I’m assuming the timeline of this rebuild is going to be in sync for when Reinsdorf’s children assume the franchise. It will be an easier team sale with zero large player contracts connected. Benintendi’s $$ will likely be Jerry’s last “big” payout to any player. I just can’t see him committing any sort of large $$ moving forward. Especially with his focus on building another stadium. 

Edited by GreatScott82
  • Haha 1