GMs skeptical teams meet price for Robert

1 hour ago, T R U said:

Im sure he wants to be extended, but we won't offer what that will take to get it done.

I know you get this, but seems like most others don't. Garrett Crochet is arguably one of the best pitchers in baseball at this point in time. Hes not going to accept some $15 million a year sweetheart deal from the White Sox when he will be looking at $30 million a year in 2 seasons.

Yep, he might take a little bit of a discount for security/injury risk but he is still going to want elite pitcher money to get extended.    

10 minutes ago, whitesoxfan99 said:

Yep, he might take a little bit of a discount for security/injury risk but he is still going to want elite pitcher money to get extended.    

If you get him to give up any free agent years, it won't be cheap.

3 hours ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Give me Painter and Crawford and I’m driving Robert to the airport.

8 hours ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

I agree. If the Sox can get a 55 FV prospect and a couple 45 FV prospects in return, I’m taking it all day. 

Both Painter and Crawford are 55 FV prospects, fwiw.  So the math doesn't really check out here. 

18 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Both Painter and Crawford are 55 FV prospects, fwiw.  So the math doesn't really check out here. 

Thought he was a 50. Fine replace Crawford with Bergolla and Ricones. I’m fine with that.

3 hours ago, T R U said:

Im sure he wants to be extended, but we won't offer what that will take to get it done.

I know you get this, but seems like most others don't. Garrett Crochet is arguably one of the best pitchers in baseball at this point in time. Hes not going to accept some $15 million a year sweetheart deal from the White Sox when he will be looking at $30 million a year in 2 seasons.

He's looking at 5 years 200 million if he pitches well again next year, at min. The best we could possibly do would be to offer him like 6/150 right now. I think he'd take it, but I know we won't offer it, even tho it would be a very fair deal for both sides. We're too cheap.

Posted (edited)

I think another thing people aren't considering is that Robert clearly doesn't want to be here, and it shows in his effort and decision making. Get all the stench of the failed rebuild off of this team and move on. I'm sure any trade we make will be looked upon poorly in retrospect, but the fit just isn't there.

Edited by TaylorStSox
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5437515/2024/04/23/jackson-holliday-orioles-mlb-career-bad-start/

If the White Sox got him...highly unlikely...they'd just manage to turn him into Montana anyways.

I would be exstatic if he was the headliner in a Crochet or Robert deal.  At this point I presume Crochet is getting the most value.    

6 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Ok so they don't trade him at the deadline and he gets hurt in August and misses 6 weeks.  They won't get fair value for him during the off season so they wait until next years deadline and then he gets hurt again in April and misses another month.  When does it end? Do they just keep kicking the can down the road?   He's healthy now and there's a good market for him.  I think they have to move him because every time he gets hurt his value will decrease.  

A good market isn’t 2 55’s and a 45 with that amount of control. Kick the can 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

I think another thing people aren't considering is that Robert clearly doesn't want to be here, and it shows in his effort and decision making. Get all the stench of the failed rebuild off of this team and move on. I'm sure any trade we make will be looked upon poorly in retrospect, but the fit just isn't there.

Other teams see the effort and body language too

8 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I would be exstatic if he was the headliner in a Crochet or Robert deal.  At this point I presume Crochet is getting the most value.    

The value of those remaining contract years at arb line values is incredible.

Robert can certainly out perform...but there's not an inconsiderable amount of risk for mid and small market teams @ $20 million.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

He's like a 4-6 WAR player assuming he averages 130 games played. He's got basically 3.5 years left at 60 million.  If you assume that cost of a win in FA is somewhere like 20 million these days you could project him for about 150 million in surplus value on the high end.

You have to get like a top 10 guy and then two back end top 75-100 types for that imo.

Robert has been a 4 WAR player 1 time in 5 seasons. This season in 159 PA's he has 32 hits and 53 k's. At this point in his career, he's not a superstar, has never performed like a superstar, and won't get the return his perceived talent dictates. 

Edited by TaylorStSox
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Other teams see the effort and body language too

And I'm sure GM's are very transparent about these type of things. People pretend these deals are somehow secret and GM's aren't situationally aware. MLB GM is a job with a very small ecosystem. They would prefer their trades are as mutually beneficial as possible. Nobody wants to burn bridges to "win" a trade.

1 minute ago, TaylorStSox said:

Robert has been a 4 WAR player 1 time in 5 seasons. This season in 159 PA's he has 32 hits and 53 k's. At this point in his career, he's not a superstar, has never performed like a superstar, and won't get the return his perceived talent dictates. 

He has 13 fWAR in 405 career games. He's literally the def of a 4-5 WAR player and we all know he has more in the tank performance was if he's fully healthy and protected in a lineup. 

I won't have this slander on Robert. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Paper Bag 1

2 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

He has 13 fWAR in 405 career games. He's literally the def of a 4-5 WAR player and we all know he has more in the tank performance was if he's fully healthy and protected in a lineup. 

I won't have this slander on Robert. 

He's literally not a 4 WAR player because he doesn't play enough to earn that distinction. MLB seasons aren't averaged out per 162. They actually play 162 and kind of need players that actually play.

• Love 1

Robert is fun to watch but does not square the ball up like an elite hitter. He is mostly a casual player.

28 minutes ago, MiddleCoastBias said:

Depends, is it Tony or is it Hannah?

Hannah Montana led a successful double life as a superstar. Tony died on a mound of cocaine.

So basically, Moncada or Esteban Loaiza.

• Haha 4

Here is the way I look at it. 

Robert is the best position players in the next 12 months to change teams. 

There is nobody I would rather want to sign long term than Robert that is a free agent and nobody I would want to trade for who would be available in the next 12 months.

Things can change but I do not forsee it. 

I would take him over Bregman and Alonso long term value. Maybe you could say Bo Bichette however he hasnt exactly been tearing the cover off the ball this year. 

So if this is the case, why would I sell for anything less than top of the market return. 

37 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

The value of those remaining contract years at arb line values is incredible.

Robert can certainly out perform...but there's not an inconsiderable amount of risk for mid and small market teams @ $20 million.

Robert has avg'd very good WAR over past 4 years so I don't see high risk there either. Some risk - but also high degree upside as well. I think Bmags showed he is Top 5 in WAR at his respective position since 2020 (or 2021).  That includes missing time etc.  

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Robert has avg'd very good WAR over past 4 years so I don't see high risk there either. Some risk - but also high degree upside as well. I think Bmags showed he is Top 5 in WAR at his respective position since 2020 (or 2021).  That includes missing time etc.  

sorry that was wRC+. 

11 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

He’s also right on the cusp of 27…statistically, the three prime performance years of every player’s career.