GMs skeptical teams meet price for Robert

4 hours ago, WestEddy said:

He will spend on what his GM tells him will help the club win. Within his own limits. I don't think he needs to grab up every single 10/$400m FA on the market. He needs a GM who can find players away from the top of the market that can produce. We'll see if Getz is that guy. 

You shouldn’t think he would ever sign a single player to that kind of contract much less multiple considering 5/$75 is their largest contract of all time.

• Fire 2

.280 .346 .580 .926

Robert's triple slash line over the last two weeks..  Hopefully remains like this for awhile as the rust gets off him.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

He never does. For a sharp businessman (which he is) he doesn't grasp the concept of getting good players = good teams = more ticket sales, more fan attendance, more parking money, more concession money, more souvenir money, more advertising opportunities.  

Harper paid for his contract immediately as the Phillies I read sold over a million tickets after he signed. 

Remember JR said finishing second, third or fourth doesn't mean you had a bad season! ?

How many times did he say show up and we'll make the team better.   How does that work in the pizza business?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, GreenSox said:

or pitching, except for Crochet.  And that was luck because they drafted him to rush into the 2020 bullpen and squandered 67% of his service time.  They should get credit for developing Canon - so far so good, but we'll see how it goes.
That 2020 draft was just arrogance from the FO, that as grossly unearned:  Crochet for the pen (worked out great in the end) and then punt 3 rounds to draft 1 high school pitcher.  I guess round 5 was only semi-punted, but it was semi-punted for, surprise, surprise  a relief pitcher.

Punting for high school pitchers hasn't been particularly bountiful.

I'd give credit more to the organization he came from.

14 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

You shouldn’t think he would ever sign a single player to that kind of contract much less multiple considering 5/$75 is their largest contract of all time.

They are equally bad a scouting MLB players. 

I get it if you play cautious in free agency but then put the money in development and fire those who are not good at it. If they are good then pay them well. 

• Like 1