Wilson down, Leasure back

• southsider2k5 changed the title to Wilson down, Leasure back

He's had a weird season.  Most of the year he has been WAY better than his FIP, like two runs.  In the last month, he has been 2.25 runs WORSE than his FIP.  Not sure I get it if you are trying to move him by the deadline, but why start making sense now.

image.png

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

He's had a weird season.  Most of the year he has been WAY better than his FIP, like two runs.  In the last month, he has been 2.25 runs WORSE than his FIP.  Not sure I get it if you are trying to move him by the deadline, but why start making sense now.

image.png

Yeah, why let Wilson pitch and see if he can turn himself into a good trade candidate when you have stud relievers like Justin Anderson and Chad Kuhl that need innings?

Wilson hasn't been consistent, but he's decidedly better than Anderson or Kuhl.  I can only figure that they don't want to trade Wilson, but do have hopes of moving anderson or Kuhl (floundering as those hopes may be).  Or they think they can fix Wilson.

It doesn't amount to a whole lot this year, but the Sox have not done a great job sifting through these veteran relievers.  Cast offs Tim Hill and Chavez are pitching well with contenders.  

• Like 2

Very interesting choice with Wilson. One thing to consider, if he spends about 3 weeks in the minors Sox will get another year of control and he'd be controlled through 2028, instead of 2027.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Yeah, why let Wilson pitch and see if he can turn himself into a good trade candidate when you have stud relievers like Justin Anderson and Chad Kuhl that need innings?

Wilson had 2 full years of service heading into 2024.  He's got plenty of control (and optioning his could create more), so they have plenty of time to turn him into a viable trade asset.  He really hasn't been that great this season, and they do need relievers, and he is cheap, so no reason why you can't hold him through 2025. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Very odd. Must be a workload issue? I would have thought Wilson had some trade value.

All of the above? Work on his mechanics, get him out of high-leverage, gain another year of control, rest him up, etc. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Very interesting choice with Wilson. One thing to consider, if he spends about 3 weeks in the minors Sox will get another year of control and he'd be controlled through 2028, instead of 2027.

This sounds like the most logical explanation.   
There's no reason to trade him anyway; won't get much and it will cost more to sign someone for next season.

• Thanks 3

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

image.png

According to fip, if you give up four doubles off the wall and strikeout three to get out of the inning, you just had an outstanding inning whereas if you give up a solo homerun and get of the inning on three weakly hit infield dribblers you had a bad inning, even though you gave up 1/3 of the runs and got hammered 1/4 the amount of times. That’s why it doesn’t make sense. FIP isn’t a particularly sound measure since it concludes that since fielding may have an impact on some plays, that all fielded balls are irrelevant when it comes to the measure of the quality of pitching. Which is clearly ludicrous. I mean it’s still an interesting stat, but way too much credence given to it when its entire premise, that fielded balls are irrelevent, is completely unsound.

Edited by 4OCS
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

These are the kinds of moves that make me question what Getz is doing here.  Are we really believing that a guy like Wilson is the one to send down over Anderson and Kuhl?  Wasn't the whole reason to get a 29 year old reliever in the Cease deal so that we could showcase and trade him, and now we are sending him down at the prime showcase time yet keeping Justin Anderson and Chad Kuhl?  Like does anyone believe we can get something for them?  I sure don't.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Ok, I don’t understand sending Wilson down. What am I missing here? He’s been one of their best relievers.

Wilson has been crap lately.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 4OCS said:

According to fip, if you give up four doubles off the wall and strikeout three to get out of the inning, you just had an outstanding inning whereas if you give up a solo homerun and get of the inning on three weakly hit infield dribblers you had a bad inning, even though you gave up 1/3 of the runs and got hammered 1/4 the amount of times. That’s why it doesn’t make sense. FIP isn’t a particularly sound measure since it concludes that since fielding may have an impact on some plays, that all fielded balls are irrelevant when it comes to the measure of the quality of pitching. Which is clearly ludicrous. I mean it’s still an interesting stat, but way too much credence given to it when its entire premise, that fielded balls are irrelevent, is completely unsound.

Even his expected ERA is a full run over his current ERA.

4 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

These are the kinds of moves that make me question what Getz is doing here.  Are we really believing that a guy like Wilson is the one to send down over Anderson and Kuhl?  Wasn't the whole reason to get a 29 year old reliever in the Cease deal so that we could showcase and trade him, and now we are sending him down at the prime showcase time yet keeping Justin Anderson and Chad Kuhl?  Like does anyone believe we can get something for them?  I sure don't.

Pedro would cry if the Sox got rid of Anderson. He has him up almost every game. Close games, blowouts, it doesn't matter.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 2Deep said:

Put Leasure as our closer and let him learn.  He cannot be as bad as Kopech, who does not have the balls to be a closer.

This is 100% to do with how awful that Kopech has been within clutch roles.

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Exactly.  But now people are trying to make sense of this stupid move to defend Getz.

I remember posters saying that everyone will have to factor in what Wilson returns at this trade deadline in a final assessment of the Cease trade.

Finally, how often do teams option a 29 year old to the minors to gain an extra year of control, after the player has had 2+ good seasons in the majors?  It’s not like he’s been terrible this year.

This is a wasted season.  Getz is choosing to allow two DFA candidates in Kuhl and Anderson to get MLB innings over Wilson.

Just give Wilson the next 3+ weeks to improve his stats in the majors and then decide whether or not you want to trade him.  If his stats get worse, then your decision is easy.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Haha 1
  • TLR 1

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

Good point. May be just a rest move .Mini vacation to work on some things.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

More years of cheap control equals more trade value.  But if he blows out his arm while he’s a member of the Sox and requires TJ, he won’t return anything.

I don’t buy that they are optioning him to gain another year of control.  Teams don’t do that to players that aren’t utterly failing at their job.  Wilson hasn’t been terrible.

I think he'll be back up before then but it is something to know and consider. Even moreso if he's got any pain in his arm .Is he's injured while in the minors and DL 'd for a stretch he won't acrrus service time.

Crochet accrued service time recovering from TJS because he was in the majors,  yet people think Crochet must hate the Sox for mishandling him.

If he was in the minors learning how to be a SP he likely still ends up having TJS but wouldn't have accrued service time . He's a lot closer to FA now because of the Sox . I don't see any permanent damage done to him.

People need to quit projecting their feelings onto thinking it's how the players feel. There are others ways to look at things.

• Like 1