Wilson down, Leasure back

3 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Yeah, why let Wilson pitch and see if he can turn himself into a good trade candidate when you have stud relievers like Justin Anderson and Chad Kuhl that need innings?

Or why let him destroy his trade value with the Sox if he can get right in the minors for a week or so ?

What's the fuss all about ?

He doesn't have to be traded now. The fact remains that if he does get traded this deadline , the off-season or in the next couple years it's still a delayed return on the Cease trade. It's not a bad thing to try to maximize that return down the line.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

I wouldn’t hold my breath waiting for this to happen, my man.  Unless you know exactly when the Grim Reaper is visiting the owner.  He seems healthy as a horse currently.

If no one thinks there's any fun to be had in the future then why bemoan the present so much ? Just follow the Dodgers and you can be rid of the anger you feel.

Enjoyable seasons have happened in spite of JR even if it takes a Herculean amount of luck to ever happen.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

These are the kinds of moves that make me question what Getz is doing here.  Are we really believing that a guy like Wilson is the one to send down over Anderson and Kuhl?  Wasn't the whole reason to get a 29 year old reliever in the Cease deal so that we could showcase and trade him, and now we are sending him down at the prime showcase time yet keeping Justin Anderson and Chad Kuhl?  Like does anyone believe we can get something for them?  I sure don't.

We have showcased him and he hasn't been very good. Might as well try again next year and see if he can create value. Being critical of this move is really just looking for nits to pick.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There’s no urgent reason to necessarily trade Wilson at the deadline though. He would most likely have value next year as well. Could be the Sox have further moves lined up and Wilson is back in a week, in which case this would have virtually zero impact on his trade value at this trade deadline anyway. Seems like a lot of gnashing of teeth over nothing to me. Whether we get some B-/C+ prospect for him now or later  I would argue is a pretty minor considerations. It’s not like they dfa’d him

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

Wilson is putting .2 baserunners on above his lifetime WHIP. I don't understand complaining about sending him to AAA for rest, lower leverage situations, and out of the spotlight to work on his velocity. Are you denying that he can be scouted in AAA? Anderson and Kuhl don't even matter. Wilson's the guy who might get back on track in the week where nobody is focused on the TDL, yet, and maybe restore his value. 

There will be plenty of at-bats for Colas, DeLoach, Fletcher, Sosa, Ramos and Julks after the TDL. 

It's clearly a leverage point in negotiations to have a 29 year old in AAA instead of MLB, so I don't agree with you there. I don't think it's a bad move, though. Clearly they want him to work on something and are likely holding onto him for the rest of the year. He can be traded next year or in the offseason, likely for more than he'd get now, assuming the velocity, consistency and/or fatigue issues are addressed and he's back to being a solid reliever.

Edited by almagest
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, 4OCS said:

There’s no urgent reason to necessarily trade Wilson at the deadline though. He would most likely have value next year as well. Could be the Sox have further moves lined up and Wilson is back in a week, in which case this would have virtually zero impact on his trade value at this trade deadline anyway. Seems like a lot of gnashing of teeth over nothing to me. Whether we get some B-/C+ prospect for him now or later  I would argue is a pretty minor considerations. It’s not like they dfa’d him

Of course this move by itself isn't a big deal, but it is symptomatic of what leadership has done for almost a year now.  It's all of these individual moves add up to that is the problem.  Each piece pushes the other pieces back a step.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Of course this move by itself isn't a big deal, but it is symptomatic of what leadership has done for almost a year now.  It's all of these individual moves add up to that is the problem.  Each piece pushes the other pieces back a step.

Yeah well my argument is that it isn’t symptomatic of anything since this move in and of itself has virtually zero impact on Wilson’s value. If some team is interested in adding Wilson to help fill out the back of their bullpen, sending Wilson down temporarily doesn’t change that. Maybe they have a trade worked out for Kopech, they want Wilson to get some rest, and Wilson is back in a few days when they complete that trade, for example. Other pitchers would have to be dfa’d

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Has Wilson really been that bad recently?  He had 3 rough outings in a row on June 19, 20, and 24 in which he gave up a combined 4 runs.  But he hasn’t been truly terrible like Kopech and he’s getting optioned to the minors?  If he’s injured, put him on the IL.

https://www.mlb.com/player/steven-wilson-621051?stats=gamelogs-r-pitching-mlb&year=2024

Edited by WhiteSox2023

4 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Good point. May be just a rest move .Mini vacation to work on some things.

The cynical reading is that they're trying to claw back a year of control.

How can he be an important member of one of the top 50% (at least) teams in baseball but he's NOT good enough to beat out Kuhl and Justin Anderson, one THE WORST team in baseball, lol?

Imagine how aggravating that must feel...to not feel wanted or valued by these clowns, especially the GM and manager?

Posted (edited)

Did anyone catch the reason Schriffen gave for this roster move during the broadcast?  All I heard was him mention a “numbers game” but I missed what specific reason he gave.  I was also too busy watching Leasure get tattooed.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

The cynical reading is that they're trying to claw back a year of control.

How can he be an important member of one of the top 50% (at least) teams in baseball but he's NOT good enough to beat out Kuhl and Justin Anderson, one THE WORST team in baseball, lol?

Imagine how aggravating that must feel...to not feel wanted or valued by these clowns, especially the GM and manager?

Reading way too much into it. Again projecting your feelings as if that's how the player thinks or feels.

It may have been mutually agreed on between player and management.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Reading way too much into it. Again projecting your feelings as if that's how the player thinks or feels.

It may have been mutually agreed on between player and management.

Well as long as that full salary is guaranteed…if not, no player would prefer the minors unless their family was already rich like Giolito’s.