Schriffen’s “La Pantera RAWR!” Call

i just want him to become Baltimore's GM. I think the Sox could get their top 5 prospects for Maldonado and Lopez if that were the case. Maybe throw in Sheets as a kicker.

I just wish at some point, someone sit down with him, probably Brooks, and explain to him that 26-67 is really, really bad. The people listening and watching now, are not that dumb. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)

All I can say it was a nice catch but not worthy of a growl, maybe a Holy Cow lite. Honestly, I’ve probably seen a least 10 catches this season that were better and yes the growl has to go.

Edited by The Mighty Mite
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

As someone who hasn’t been too annoyed by Schriffen this year, I found this call to be absolutely cringe worthy.  Maybe if we were on a 100 win pace I could tolerate it more, but good god was it embarrassing and completely lacking any sense of how shitty things are at the moment.  

But honestly, some of the blame should fall on Brooks and him failing to coach Schriffen properly.  You hired a guy for his energy ahead of a historically bad seasonal and probably should have had him tone it down a bit to avoid drawing mass hate from the fanbase.  Schriffen isn’t the reason we are going to lose 110+ games, but he is as the face of it at times and while I can block that out I can understand why others can not.  Know your customer better Brooks.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I have probably been the most vocal about how annoying the “broadcaster critics” on Sox talk are…but Schriffen has broken me. The guy is made of cheese. It’s like listening to an elementary school assembly MC announce every game. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

3 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

i just want him to become Baltimore's GM. I think the Sox could get their top 5 prospects for Maldonado and Lopez if that were the case. Maybe throw in Sheets as a kicker.

I just wish at some point, someone sit down with him, probably Brooks, and explain to him that 26-67 is really, really bad. The people listening and watching now, are not that dumb. 

Something has to be wrong with them/us

2 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

As someone who hasn’t been too annoyed by Schriffen this year, I found this call to be absolutely cringe worthy.  Maybe if we were on a 100 win pace I could tolerate it more, but good god was it embarrassing and completely lacking any sense of how shitty things are at the moment.  

But honestly, some of the blame should fall on Brooks and him failing to coach Schriffen properly.  You hired a guy for his energy ahead of a historically bad seasonal and probably should have had him tone it down a bit to avoid drawing mass hate from the fanbase.  Schriffen isn’t the reason we are going to lose 110+ games, but he is as the face of it at times and while I can block that out I can understand why others can not.  Know your customer better Brooks.

If you believe the stories, this is a guy who ran off both Hawk and Jason.  He obviously doesn't give a crap as to what the fan base thinks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bmags said:

I have probably been the most vocal about how annoying the “broadcaster critics” on Sox talk are…but Schriffen has broken me. The guy is made of cheese. It’s like listening to an elementary school assembly MC announce every game. 

I am sure he's a nice guy, and I really want to like his calls, and probably would if the Sox were 67-26. But it's just too much. In the last 4 games I have actually heard him say he thought the now 41 games under .500 White Sox could get back in the race, and was marveling at how valuable Martin Maldonado was navigaing a rookie pitcher theough a 2/3 inning 4 run outing. What is he talking about? i get you are supposed to fluff things up a bit, but when you go obnoxious, you lose any credibility.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Fire 1

Posted it in the other thread...I have been all over Schriffren this season...but this call made me laugh. It's so weird and stupid and silly...when the team is this bad, I can laugh about it. This doesn't absolve the other bonehead mistakes he's made this season, but this one is harmless, and if the Sox we're 50-20 this season, everyone would have loved it. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Tony said:

Posted it in the other thread...I have been all over Schriffren this season...but this call made me laugh. It's so weird and stupid and silly...when the team is this bad, I can laugh about it. This doesn't absolve the other bonehead mistakes he's made this season, but this one is harmless, and if the Sox we're 50-20 this season, everyone would have loved it. 

This dude is definitely catching a lot of strays because he is the public face and everyone else is in hiding.

• Like 1

Love it.

The dude has been ripped for being enthusiastic and different.  If this team was 52-36 MOST would not care and in fact may enjoy his calls because people would be happier.  

John has a lot to learn and he should be given that opportunity.  This is not your Dad's 1970's, 80's to even 2000's broadcaster who sounds the same as the next guy.

I'm willing to let him grow and chuckle and enjoy some of his calls (including growling) in a miserable season for a miserable team run by a Miserable organization.  (f*** YOU JERRY........had to get that out of my system today)

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Quin said:

Jason critics: He's a cornball that eats food. Replace him!

Monkey's paw curls.

“He asks questions! How much worse can it get?”

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

This dude is definitely catching a lot of strays because he is the public face and everyone else is in hiding.

I will give him he has a next to impossible job. But give the audience a little credit understanding what they are seeing. If he truly respects his audience, he has to know they deserve better.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

Exactly. It is one thing to be a homer, it is another thing to insult our intelligence. This will be the worst Sox season ever, and there is no way to sugarcoat that. 

This guy is probably harmless, but he is also a symbol of how badly this team is run. Again, the Sox put an inexperienced person in a high-profile position. Schriffen needs to learn more about baseball and something about White Sox history. His "stand up southside" is dumb because he knows nothing about the south side. He needs to learn his job, and he can start by doing some research. Then describe the game as it happens and forget the hard sell.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

30 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I will give him he has a next to impossible job. But give the audience a little credit understanding what they are seeing. If he truly respects his audience, he has to know they deserve better.

This organization employed Hawk for decades.  They don't care.

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

If you believe the stories, this is a guy who ran off both Hawk and Jason.  He obviously doesn't give a crap as to what the fan base thinks.

It was Hawk's time to go. Jason on the other hand...should have been our pbp guy for the next 30-40 years. I didn't like him at first but he grew on me. Benetti and AJ called the Red Sox/Yankees national game on Saturday. It was such a good listen. What the Sox could have had, if they knew what they had in the first place and didn't absolutely suck at what they do.

• Like 1