Schriffen’s “La Pantera RAWR!” Call

So what, is he supposed to call the game completely depressed and upset about how terrible we are? It's like most on this board want him to call the game as if he was a disheartened  soxtalk poster. Have you ever in your life heard someone call a game/team like that? Of course not. Sure some of his stuff is a little silly, but the expectation that he deliver the game with the doom and gloom mentality that some of you wish is ridiculous to consider.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, superchops70 said:

So what, is he supposed to call the game completely depressed and upset about how terrible we are? It's like most on this board want him to call the game as if he was a disheartened  soxtalk poster. Have you ever in your life heard someone call a game/team like that? Of course not. Sure some of his stuff is a little silly, but the expectation that he deliver the game with the doom and gloom mentality that some of you wish is ridiculous to consider.

No, but he shouldn't treat it like he's broadcasting the favorites to win the WS. I posted this the other day, if you listen to him describe the White Sox, you wonder how they  ever lose a game, when the reality is, you wonder how they ever win a game.

I've also said, if the White sox had the team a couple of years ago most of us thought they would have, I'd enjoy most of his schtick. 

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, superchops70 said:

“A little silly” is a massive understatement.

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, superchops70 said:

I think it’s more so that us fans just want him to call the game without making cringe worthy animal noises and acting like a complete dumbass frat boy clown.

SOUTHSIDE STAAAAAAND UP!!!!!

RAAAAAWWWWWRRRRRRRR

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, superchops70 said:

Profile_-_Eeyore.png

“Oh bother… Luis Robert caught the ball at the wall and we’ll still lose.”

This is actually what we all want.

• Haha 1

We as Sox fans just want something organic, real, and not manufactured.

If you don’t understand that, you’re not qualified for the job.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It's bad but as others have noted, it's not really the worst thing about him. The worst thing about him is that he's whistling past the graveyard regarding an 120 loss team while showing little if any baseball knowledge in the process. I can at times stand being talked down to by Stone, at least he knows a little baseball. But John? Hell no.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

It's bad but as others have noted, it's not really the worst thing about him. The worst thing about him is that he's whistling past the graveyard regarding an 120 loss team while showing little if any baseball knowledge in the process. I can at times stand being talked down to by Stone, at least he knows a little baseball. But John? Hell no.

That’s “The Legend” to you!

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Hawk 1

4 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

If you believe the stories, this is a guy who ran off both Hawk and Jason.  He obviously doesn't give a crap as to what the fan base thinks.

It has been the org's M.O. since Reinsdorf and Einhorn took over. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hi8is said:

I think it’s more so that us fans just want him to call the game without making cringe worthy animal noises and acting like a complete dumbass frat boy clown.

RAAAAAWWWWWRRRRRRRR

hi8is .....I respect you and your posts ..................BUT this is the classic "get off my porch" post that people stuck in their ways will write/say

2 hours ago, hi8is said:

RAAAAAWWWWWRRRRRRRR

This part. The action on the field is already unwatchable, the last thing we need is to be assaulted with intelligence insulting cringe inducing nonsense on a game to game basis.

1 hour ago, JoeC said:

We as Sox fans just want something organic, real, and not manufactured.

If you don’t understand that, you’re not qualified for the job.

Wait............we had Hawk for soooo many years.  You don't think he fit any of the manufactured, not real at times, and not organic mold???????

1 minute ago, Tnetennba said:

This part. The action on the field is already unwatchable, the last thing we need is to be assaulted with intelligence insulting cringe inducing nonsense on a game to game basis.

Are you mad at John because the team on the field sucks?

A good announcer can make bad baseball more enjoyable, and at worse, more palatable. The White Sox are an extreme case in how bad they are, sure. But I'm not subjected to nails on a chalkboard cringe when I listen to out of town baseball, even when it's two bad teams.

• Like 1

Just now, Tnetennba said:

A good announcer can make bad baseball more enjoyable, and at worse, more palatable. The White Sox are an extreme case in how bad they are, sure. But I'm not subjected to nails on a chalkboard cringe when I listen to out of town baseball, even when it's two bad teams.

That's becuase most of your PBP announcers in MLB are cookie cutter.

Like or not, John is not that.

3 hours ago, superchops70 said:

It's like most on this board want him to call the game as if he was a disheartened  soxtalk poster. Have you ever in your life heard someone call a game/team like that? 

Are you even a Sox fan?

8 minutes ago, 2Deep said:

Wait............we had Hawk for soooo many years.  You don't think he fit any of the manufactured, not real at times, and not organic mold???????

Yeah, this.  Hawk was this on steroids.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, 2Deep said:

Are you mad at John because the team on the field sucks?

I'm not mad at him. I think he is really bad at what he does, and the bad team and the toxicity from the org compounds it.

9 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Yeah, this.  Hawk was this on steroids.

Kind of hard to sort out what he was saying there with the double negatives, but are you guys saying Hawk was fake?? I mean say what you will about Hawk but he always came off as genuine to me

• Like 3