Schriffen’s “La Pantera RAWR!” Call

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, superchops70 said:

So what, is he supposed to call the game completely depressed and upset about how terrible we are? It's like most on this board want him to call the game as if he was a disheartened  soxtalk poster. Have you ever in your life heard someone call a game/team like that? Of course not. Sure some of his stuff is a little silly, but the expectation that he deliver the game with the doom and gloom mentality that some of you wish is ridiculous to consider.

There are other options besides "doom and gloom" and self-indulgent silliness. Of course, it's challenging to make a broadcast interesting when the team isn't, but unless you're lucky enough to work for a perennial contender, it's part of a baseball announcer's job.

This year, Len and DJ are doing pretty well with the radio broadcasts. I've heard them call guys out for bad plays, get mildly excited for good ones, and spend a lot of time talking about more interesting things - like other games around the league, good players on other teams, baseball history, insider strategy, etc.

I think one of Schriffen's problems is that he doesn't seem to bring much to the broadcasts other than the silliness and some notes from the previous day's post-game interviews. He relies a lot on repeating press conference pablum: "Pedro says Andrew is starting to see the ball better," "Jordan is happy to be back in the big leagues," etc. You might get away with that if you're calling a couple games a month for ESPN, but it's not enough to carry 160 broadcasts a year.

He lacks Benetti's connection to Chicago, lacks Kasper's knowledge of baseball history, can't spin old yarns like Hawk, and doesn't seem to have any special access or insight into what's going on with the team. The silliness and funny noises will appeal to some viewers, but he'll need more than that to endear himself to a bigger audience.

Edited by kba
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, 4OCS said:

Kind of hard to sort out what he was saying there with the double negatives, but are you guys saying Hawk was fake?? I mean say what you will about Hawk but he always came off as genuine to me

Towards the end, he was repetitive catch phrases and sound bites. But in his prime he was as authentic as could be IMO.

2 minutes ago, kba said:

There are other options besides "doom and gloom" and self-indulgent silliness. Of course, it's challenging to make a broadcast interesting when the team isn't, but unless you're lucky enough to work for a perennial contender, it's part of a baseball announcer's job.

This year, Len and DJ are doing pretty well with the radio broadcasts. I've heard them call guys out for bad plays, get mildly excited for good ones, and spend a lot of time talking about more interesting things - like other games around the league, good players on other teams, baseball history, insider strategy, etc.

I think one of Schriffen's problems is that he doesn't seem to bring much to the broadcasts other than the silliness and some notes from the previous day's post-game interviews. He relies a lot on repeating press conference pablum: "Pedro says Andrew is starting to see the ball better," "Jordan is happy to be back in the big leagues," etc. You might get away with that if you're calling a couple games a month for ESPN, but it's not enough to carry 160 broadcasts a year.

He lacks Benetti's connection to Chicago, lacks Kasper's knowledge of baseball history, can't spin old yarns like Hawk, and doesn't seem to have any special access or insight into what's going on with the team. The silliness and funny noises will appeal to some viewers, but he'll need more than that to endear himself to a bigger audience.

100%

3 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

Towards the end, he was repetitive catch phrases and sound bites. But in his prime he was as authentic as could be IMO.

If you watch interviews with him, he 100% admits that "Hawk" is a made up TV persona.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kba said:

There are other options besides "doom and gloom" and self-indulgent silliness. Of course, it's challenging to make a broadcast interesting when the team isn't, but unless you're lucky enough to work for the Dodgers, it's part of a baseball announcer's job.

This is a solid post.

I think it depends on what you are looking  for..........in a season like this, give me the silliness.  I don't need to be educated about baseball by Len, DJ (Enjoy them) or other baseball guys.  Hawk would be a horrible listen if he was calling this team.

I love baseball and have a huge background and knowledge about the game and history.

I just like that idea that JS is different from PBP guys I have been listening to since I was young (I'm in my mid 40's).  That is the reason I liked Hawk.....because he was different.

I watch baseball to be entertained.  If the product on the field depresses the s%*# out of me then let my PBP guy entertain me with "silliness."  I smile when he makes "growling" sounds........I laughed out loud when i heard his homerun call for Luis, I enjoyed him calling out some of the clowns on the score because they wanted to rip on him.  Give me more of this while I give JS a chance to grow and be better at what he does. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

If you watch interviews with him, he 100% admits that "Hawk" is a made up TV persona.

If that was an act for all of those years, bravo, it was convincing.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I remember his old golf segments on Channel 5 news (sports).  I think it was "Beat the Hawk" or something like that.  I remember him telling the story of how the persona of Hawk came about and how it was all made up.   

7 hours ago, bmags said:

I have probably been the most vocal about how annoying the “broadcaster critics” on Sox talk are…but Schriffen has broken me. The guy is made of cheese. It’s like listening to an elementary school assembly MC announce every game. 

In fairness - my 9 year old absolutely loves the call. When he first heard it - it was just a replay while driving in the car and he was laughing and smiling so hard at it (in a good way).  

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, 2Deep said:

I think it depends on what you are looking  for..........in a season like this, give me the silliness.  I don't need to be educated about baseball by Len, DJ (Enjoy them) or other baseball guys.  Hawk would be a horrible listen if he was calling this team.

I love baseball and have a huge background and knowledge about the game and history.

I just like that idea that JS is different from PBP guys I have been listening to since I was young (I'm in my mid 40's).  That is the reason I liked Hawk.....because he was different.

I watch baseball to be entertained.  If the product on the field depresses the s%*# out of me then let my PBP guy entertain me with "silliness."  I smile when he makes "growling" sounds........I laughed out loud when i heard his homerun call for Luis, I enjoyed him calling out some of the clowns on the score because they wanted to rip on him.  Give me more of this while I give JS a chance to grow and be better at what he does. 

Schriff has carte blanche with me after he ripped on the Score douche bags. 

• Like 2

Schriffen is awesome. We will never have another Hawk but I hope Schriffen can get close. People largely just don't like that the team is bad and are taking it out on him. Is what it is. His style certainly works better with an actual functual, winning ball club. The White Sox are just b**** eating crackers right now.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, hi8is said:

I think it’s more so that us fans just want him to call the game without making cringe worthy animal noises and acting like a complete dumbass frat boy clown.

SOUTHSIDE STAAAAAAND UP!!!!!

RAAAAAWWWWWRRRRRRRR

This.

Just call the game.  You don’t have to be Dick Vitale or even a homer like Hawk.  Just call the game like you enjoy the game of baseball.

• Like 2

It's a non-issue. This board is really incredible these days. And I certainly get it: the team is so terrible to watch that you just want to be angry and complain, and rant and rant and rant some more. 

But this board just looks and works so hard for things to complain about, just the dumbest stuff, and bitching about a 1st year announcer's call, to the point of we're now up to three pages, just really shows the extent to which people want to complain; again, even on the dumbest of things. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I'd like Schriffen to:

1) Read the room a little bit. No, this does not mean he needs to sounds like a mopey Soxtalk poster. It means show a little more awareness about the team in a larger context. I understand part of his job is to sell the team, but when you're laying it on that thick it makes it hard for fans to connect with you and becomes a completely unrelatable experience.

2) Make the broadcasts less one-sided. Stop treating every opposing player and team like nameless faceless bad guys. Baseball is fun! Whoever the Sox opponent is probably has some interesting things going on in their season. The league is full of great players. Sometimes it's good to acknowledge those things instead of sharing yet another note about how Vaughn says he's seeing the ball better.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, 2Deep said:

hi8is .....I respect you and your posts ..................BUT this is the classic "get off my porch" post that people stuck in their ways will write/say

Cool. Guess I’m an old man now. ?

I’m fine with that, whippersnapper.

2 hours ago, Tnetennba said:

This part. The action on the field is already unwatchable, the last thing we need is to be assaulted with intelligence insulting cringe inducing nonsense on a game to game basis.

Get off my porch.

• Haha 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Chisoxfn said:

In fairness - my 9 year old absolutely loves the call. When he first heard it - it was just a replay while driving in the car and he was laughing and smiling so hard at it (in a good way).  

Well that’s good.

1 hour ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

Schriffen is awesome. We will never have another Hawk but I hope Schriffen can get close. People largely just don't like that the team is bad and are taking it out on him. Is what it is. His style certainly works better with an actual functual, winning ball club. The White Sox are just b**** eating crackers right now.

My main complaint is the seeming lack of relevant knowledge or insight, which doesn’t have anything to do with the condition of the Sox. Then the cringe factor just compounds that. Benetti made me cringe too but it was forgivable due to his vast knowledge of baseball and the Sox along with his obvious genuine sox-ness. In sum,  I don’t think Schriffen works any better on a good team. Plenty of good broadcasters have covered bad teams

What will be interesting is if he learns anything from this season and improves next year.

He has to understand this isn't slamball or the G-league. Different sport, different rhythms, different skill sets.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Im not a fan so far, but can deal with it.

The rawr though, its just too much. Please stop that s%*#.

Also as noted before, this team is 41 games under .500. I feel like a good broadcaster would be able to highlight positives relevant to the season taking place instead of something good happening and he says "You know if they could just get some of these breaks..." its over man, tell us how good Sosa has been lately or how improved Thorpe has been over his last handful of starts.

Praising Maldonado for finally getting over .100 aint it, I don't need to hear you beat that to death.

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

It sounds like Tony the Tiger from Kellogg’s trying to do a bad impersonation of a Spanish accent.

This is the greatest post in sports message board history.

It answers the question quickly and beautifully. ... My two cents added: The fact that this indeed also reminds me of Tony the Tiger shows what an unprofessional, horrible, silly, ridiculous, all-time disgraceful call the growl is. I mean I feel for our new announcer. I wish him the best. But you cannot embarrass yourself and your franchise with a growl. The growl is a low point in Sox history: Think of the announcers: Elston, Brickhouse, Pettit, Carey, Farmer, Hawkeroo, Stoney, et. all. They would not approve IMO. Subjecting Stoney to the growl is very very sad.

Edited by greg775
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, kba said:

This year, Len and DJ are doing pretty well with the radio broadcasts.

That's because they are true professionals. They don't growl for gosh sakes!