Moncada might play again. Nobody cares

17 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

He’ll be back in August after the trade deadline, just in time to waste at bats before he is finally off of this roster for good.

I have my doubts he even makes it out of AZ.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, hi8is said:

Just in time to try and rush some bottom of the barrel trade value out of him. Oh boy.

Why would anyone trade for him? He has a $25 million contract for 2025 with a $5 million buy out. You acquire him, you're on the hook for $5 mil. That's a lot for a rental who hasn't played all year. Hey, if they can get a box of donuts for him, I'd take it. I'm just saying that teams who do like him will wait for when he's a FA.

6 minutes ago, PaleAleSox said:

It's literally the only thing to try and do with the guy.

Yeah, why would we do anything different? There's a bunch of teams in the hunt whose 3B look as bad as their 1B setups. Do the guy a solid letting him showcase himself, not only for a trade, but for free agency. Maybe we get a really nice Gucci bag filled with signed baseballs. 

6 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

Why would anyone trade for him? He has a $25 million contract for 2025 with a $5 million buy out. You acquire him, you're on the hook for $5 mil. That's a lot for a rental who hasn't played all year. Hey, if they can get a box of donuts for him, I'd take it. I'm just saying that teams who do like him will wait for when he's a FA.

The Dodgers are running a pile of slop out at 3B with Max Muncy on the DL. Yankees, D-Backs, Padres. Yoan would be a step up. If we eat the $5m, get someone back. 

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

We continue to be the dumbest franchise in baseball. 

What could go wrong?  Haha.  This team is a joke.  Not that it even matters but this team continues to make the same stupid decisions over and over regarding injuries.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

What could go wrong?  Haha.  This team is a joke.  Not that it even matters but this team continues to make the same stupid decisions over and over regarding injuries.

I struggle to understand why rehabbing an injured player is stupid. He's gone after this year, anyway, and he sure ain't coming back for a playoff push. Guy's getting paid $24m to sit. F-him. 

32 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

5 million for a roulette spin is nothing for some teams.

Just now, WestEddy said:

I struggle to understand why rehabbing an injured player is stupid. He's gone after this year, anyway, and he sure ain't coming back for a playoff push. Guy's getting paid $24m to sit. F-him. 

Judging by that tweet, the Sox are going to attempt to rush an injury-prone player back, just so they can trade him for peanuts I guess.  I agreed it doesn’t really matter because he is gone anyways but like most things this team does, it will likely end in hilarity.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, hi8is said:

5 million for a roulette spin is nothing for some teams.

A team acquiring Moncada would be on the hook for the prorated remainder of his $24 million dollar salary for this year, as well as his $5 million dollar buyout, unless Jerry allows Getz to include cash in the trade.  Moncada likely returns jack squat.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

3 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Judging by that tweet, the Sox are going to attempt to rush an injury-prone player back, just so they can trade him for peanuts I guess.  I agreed it doesn’t really matter because he is gone anyways but like most things this team does, it will likely end in hilarity.

When he first went down, "right after the All-Star break" was the target. That doesn't seem like rushing. 

43 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

5 million is nothing if you've got a smoking crater at 3B and want a high floor guy assuming he stays healthy. His glove alone makes him a solid 3B even if he's hitting 250/300/360.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, chitownsportsfan said:

5 million is nothing if you've got a smoking crater at 3B and want a high floor guy assuming he stays healthy. His glove alone makes him a solid 3B even if he's hitting 250/300/360.

Yeah, Moncada's an $8m flier for 2 months if the Sox pick up the buyout. That wouldn't seem like a hard sell. "Either we send the $5m to get a warm body, or we pay Yoan $5m in December. I could see them doing anything, even sending international slot space along with him, just to clear the roster spot and some money. 

The Sox could say we will pay the remainder salary this year but the other team takes on the buyout.

However, I hate the idea of pushing him. To me the players health comes before Jerry Wallet. However, Jerry may not see it that way. 

10 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Moncada would still be owed almost $8 million for the remainder of the season if traded on the day of the deadline (July 30th), along with being owed his $5 million dollar buyout.  Unless Jerry is picking up a lot of that money, I don’t see teams jumping to pick up one of the most injury-prone players in baseball, that isn’t even that great of a hitter when healthy.