Moncada might play again. Nobody cares

16 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

5 million is nothing if you've got a smoking crater at 3B and want a high floor guy assuming he stays healthy. His glove alone makes him a solid 3B even if he's hitting 250/300/360.

Mariners could use him honestly.

8 minutes ago, kwill said:

The Sox could say we will pay the remainder salary this year but the other team takes on the buyout.

However, I hate the idea of pushing him. To me the players health comes before Jerry Wallet. However, Jerry may not see it that way. 

It's $5m v. $8m. Pay the buyout, pay his salary. There's a lot in it for Moncada if he can get on the field by around the 18th of July, or whatnot. Mutually beneficial. If he could OPS .750 in a playoff run, and play good 3B defense, he might be one of the higher FA guys. Even if he doesn't, then he plays 6 weeks with the White Sox, takes up a roster spot from a prospect, and makes his comeback in front of a much smaller crowd. 

These guys are athletes. A lot of them are so competitive, it ruins their lives. I'm sure they're not making him do something he is opposed to. 

18 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Moncada would still be owed almost $8 million for the remainder of the season if traded on the day of the deadline (July 30th), along with being owed his $5 million dollar buyout.  Unless Jerry is picking up a lot of that money, I don’t see teams jumping to pick up one of the most injury-prone players in baseball, that isn’t even that great of a hitter when healthy.

Career OPS+ of 106. That's better than average. The teams I mentioned are running out much worse, lesser defensive options. 

44 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Judging by that tweet, the Sox are going to attempt to rush an injury-prone player back, just so they can trade him for peanuts I guess.  I agreed it doesn’t really matter because he is gone anyways but like most things this team does, it will likely end in hilarity.

Lol what’s the harm here? If he gets hurt again, so what. May as well ride him like mule at this point. Realistically Yoan isn’t getting traded due to the economics, but maybe he comes back, gets hot and someone is persuaded to give the Sox a lottery ticket on deadline day and Sox save a few mill to throw at a reliever in the offseason. Theres really no harm here.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

We continue to be the dumbest franchise in baseball. 

55 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

I struggle to understand why rehabbing an injured player is stupid. He's gone after this year, anyway, and he sure ain't coming back for a playoff push. Guy's getting paid $24m to sit. F-him.

I think it was the Pedro quote about pushing him that triggered those who look for stupid comments from him. It's pretty easy to find.

He just should have said he'll start playing in AZ soon and we'll see how it goes. We're not looking at any particular date he'll be back in the lineup.  But we are looking forward to having Yoan healthy again within a months time.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Lol what’s the harm here? If he gets hurt again, so what. May as well ride him like mule at this point. Realistically Yoan isn’t getting traded due to the economics, but maybe he comes back, gets hot and someone is persuaded to give the Sox a lottery ticket on deadline day and Sox save a few mill to throw at a reliever in the offseason. Theres really no harm here.

He will play like crap at 80% just like ILoy and Robert have until he eventually gets healthy again, or hurt again.  "Pushing" him isn't going to achieve anything,  just like the rest of them.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

He will play like crap at 80% just like ILoy and Robert have until he eventually gets healthy again, or hurt again.  "Pushing" him isn't going to achieve anything,  just like the rest of them.

Robert's put up 1.0 bWAR in 38 games. I'd love to have a whole team playing at that level of crap. 

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I think it was the Pedro quote about pushing him that triggered those who look for stupid comments from him. It's pretty easy to find.

He just should have said he'll start playing in AZ soon and we'll see how it goes. We're not looking at any particular date he'll be back in the lineup.  But we are looking forward to having Yoan healthy again within a months time.

It will be an emotional game that is the last lineup with Eloy, Yoan and Robert. Shriffen will announce it like Roller Derby. 

1 hour ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Judging by that tweet, the Sox are going to attempt to rush an injury-prone player back, just so they can trade him for peanuts I guess.  I agreed it doesn’t really matter because he is gone anyways but like most things this team does, it will likely end in hilarity.

Who cares about rushing Moncada back? Literally doesn't matter if he played tomorrow or came back the last week of the season. He's going to get hurt anyways. In fact I'd rather he just skip the rehab assignment.  Play here for the next month and try and catch lightning in a bottle by shipping him and 10 million off for a B level prospect.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, WestEddy said:

It will be an emotional game that is the last lineup with Eloy, Yoan and Robert. Shriffen will announce it like Roller Derby. 

You don't actually know if those 3 are going to be in the same lineup ever again at this point.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

NOT pushing him and having him come back after the trade deadline is the definition of not achieving anything.

If you push him and he comes back successfully, you have SOMETHING you might be able to cash in. Likely case, you pay the most of the rest of his salary for peanuts of a return. Worst case, you're stuck with him for the rest of the year, and you pay a $5M buyout. Best case, you get something for him in a trade... like a lottery ticket prospect.

If you don't push him to come back and play before the trade deadline, you're stuck with him for the rest of the year, and you pay a $5M buyout.

I really don't see the downside here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I will say, if this team were in a competitive window, it would be dumb to rush back Moncada, given his history.

The goal for this season for guys like Moncada and Eloy is to try to somehow trade them for literally anything. Essentially they bring zero tangible value to the team beyond 2024, so you might as well grab a couple of scratch-off tickets or a George Kostanza bobblehead or something in return if you can.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, JoeC said:

NOT pushing him and having him come back after the trade deadline is the definition of not achieving anything.

If you push him and he comes back successfully, you have SOMETHING you might be able to cash in. Likely case, you pay the most of the rest of his salary for peanuts of a return. Worst case, you're stuck with him for the rest of the year, and you pay a $5M buyout. Best case, you get something for him in a trade... like a lottery ticket prospect.

If you don't push him to come back and play before the trade deadline, you're stuck with him for the rest of the year, and you pay a $5M buyout.

I really don't see the downside here.

what do you really think the MIGHT is here?  5%?  1%?

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

what do you really think the MIGHT is here?  5%?  1%?

Whatever it is, it's higher than just letting him sit on the IL until after the deadline.

• Like 3

Even if it's 0.001%, it's got the same worst-case downside as letting him sit on the IL, as far as the Sox are concerned.
If Moncada wants to pump the brakes so he can use the rest of 2024 to be 100% healthy and to build up his value for his upcoming free agency, that's his choice... but from the Sox perspective I see no reason not to try to rush him.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, JoeC said:

Even if it's 0.001%, it's got the same worst-case downside as letting him sit on the IL, as far as the Sox are concerned.
If Moncada wants to pump the brakes so he can use the rest of 2024 to be 100% healthy and to build up his value for his upcoming free agency, that's his choice... but from the Sox perspective I see no reason not to try to rush him.

I am more worried that the Sox continuing to abuse and reinjure already hurt players is going to do more damage with their reputation down the road than saving Jerry a few bucks on a buy out.  Sometimes penny wise is pound foolish.

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

I am more worried that the Sox continuing to abuse and reinjure already hurt players is going to do more damage with their reputation down the road than saving Jerry a few bucks on a buy out.  Sometimes penny wise is pound foolish.

That is valid, though I'd even argue that the ship has sailed for that already.

I'd also argue that in a case like this, it's not unreasonable for the player to advocate for himself, again, to try to build value. To act like your own medical staff is incompetent (and not changing the leadership / strategies in that area) might just be worse, somehow.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Moncada just doesn't matter any more.  Its like having a $1 lottery ticket and not scratching it off because you don't think it'll cash out anything.  Chances are remote that it will, but whats the harm?  If he hurts himself pushing it too hard to come back, you're in the same spot you're in taking it easy with him.  It really doesn't matter - he's gone after 2024 regardless. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

This is where I'm at. At some point you have to start turning around the bad reputation there seems to be across the league. Rushing a player back from a serious injury because there's potential for an extremely marginal return, only to have him reinjure himself, does not help the look for an already questionable organization. 

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

Moncada just doesn't matter any more.  Its like having a $1 lottery ticket and not scratching it off because you don't think it'll cash out anything.  Chances are remote that it will, but whats the harm?  If he hurts himself pushing it too hard to come back, you're in the same spot you're in taking it easy with him.  It really doesn't matter - he's gone after 2024 regardless. 

Unless Moncada leaves and tells everyone that the Sox contributed to his injuries by forcing him back too soon.  Then it matters.

7 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Can’t wait to be rid of him and Eloy.

5 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Can’t wait to be rid of him and Eloy.

Soon enough.  I know you have them both being DFA in August, but I doubt that.

Would sure be nice if Eloy would give a parting gift and get red hot the next couple weeks...

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Soon enough.  I know you have them both being DFA in August, but I doubt that.

Would sure be nice if Eloy would give a parting gift and get red hot the next couple weeks...

I don’t think I’m the one who said thinks they get DFA’d. I think I have said before that I would DFA just to move on though.

4 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

I don’t think I’m the one who said thinks they get DFA’d. I think I have said before that I would DFA just to move on though.

My mistake.  

• Thanks 1