Moncada might play again. Nobody cares

53 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Soon enough.  I know you have them both being DFA in August, but I doubt that.

Would sure be nice if Eloy would give a parting gift and get red hot the next couple weeks...

Although, didn't we go through a period in August of teams DFAing players when the teams felt their playoff window closed? I could see Eloy and Yoan going through waivers to see if anyone wanted to pick up their salary for a post-season run. 

8 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

Although, didn't we go through a period in August of teams DFAing players when the teams felt their playoff window closed? I could see Eloy and Yoan going through waivers to see if anyone wanted to pick up their salary for a post-season run. 

We did, and that could absolutely be done for Eloy and Yoan as the team isn't going to want to pay to buy them out anyway.,

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

We did, and that could absolutely be done for Eloy and Yoan as the team isn't going to want to pay to buy them out anyway.,

And people last year kept saying Clevinger’s buyout was an issue for only pitching 2 months. I would think the same thing would apply here.

Just now, Bob Sacamano said:

And people last year kept saying Clevinger’s buyout was an issue for only pitching 2 months. I would think the same thing would apply here.

Could very well be, but also I don't think either of those guys has the history or reputation of Clevinger.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, greg775 said:

Would any team be dumb enough to want him in a trade with the Sox?

I do believe there has been quite a few opinions on this question already voiced. Power up your reading motor Greggy-Poo.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, GGajewski18 said:

Honestly a shame that he is going to come back.  He doesn't deserve to be granted a starting spot.  Sosa has been playing just as well just being recalled.  Unless Sosa moves to 2B.

They really should move Sosa to 2B, but I am sure Nicky something something something too valuable to lose.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, GGajewski18 said:

Honestly a shame that he is going to come back.  He doesn't deserve to be granted a starting spot.  Sosa has been playing just as well just being recalled.  Unless Sosa moves to 2B.

I hope Sosa continues to get regular ABs at 2B for the week or two that Moncada would be playing, then the Sox can get something (a bag or two of baseballs for Martin Maldonado to sign would be sufficient) in return.

That would be the ideal case for me.

• Haha 1

Sox fan frustrations aside, Moncada still has trade value. It's not cut and dried. I would think there would be some team that may take an $8 million 2 month flyer on an elite defensive 3B that has the capability of being a .900 OPS player in a contract year. Yoan came out swinging this year and was playing fairly well before he got hurt.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Greg Hibbard said:

Sox fan frustrations aside, Moncada still has trade value. It's not cut and dried. I would think there would be some team that may take an $8 million 2 month flyer on an elite defensive 3B that has the capability of being a .900 OPS player in a contract year. Yoan came out swinging this year and was playing fairly well before he got hurt.

But it’s not just $8 million.  Moncada is also owed a $5 million dollar buyout so it’s more like $13 million.

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

If the Sox don't take on a significant portion of his salary and/or buyout, he has a zero chance of leaving the Sox. 

....unless they package him with a Crochet / Robert.... ?

</sarc>

2 minutes ago, Greg Hibbard said:

Unfortunately he is already on that team that would buy into that poor decision making.   There's always a minuscule chance they get a prospect that could actually do something. Most likely it ends up being filler material for the minors or that player who is still in A ball in their 30's.

28 minutes ago, JoeC said:

....unless they package him with a Crochet / Robert.... ?

</sarc>

If they eat Moncada's buyout, package him with Crochet, who is essentially free, an acquiring team is getting Moncada and Crochet for $4.133m ea the rest of the way. I think the hit would be negligible. 

2 hours ago, WestEddy said:

If they eat Moncada's buyout, package him with Crochet, who is essentially free, an acquiring team is getting Moncada and Crochet for $4.133m ea the rest of the way. I think the hit would be negligible. 

It's the "if they eat Moncada's buyout" part

5 minutes ago, 4OCS said:

Not sure where he got the 4.133 million either

I think it's the roughly $8MM Moncada is owed in salary + the $400K or so that Crochet is owed for the rest of the year, divided by 2.

• Like 1