7/10 Campfire Milkshakes vs. Twinkies Straight DH 1:10PM CT

Can someone give Pedro a lesson non the concept of pinch hitting.
The only pinch hitters he used was for one of our better hitters.
Julks sits again - he's still better than the bottom of this order.

Soroka is 0-10; he's been bad, but he doesn't deserve that.

Edited by GreenSox

1 minute ago, GreenSox said:

Can someone give Pedro a lesson non the concept of pinch hitting.
The only pinch hitters he used was for one of our better hitters.
Julks sits again - he's still better than the bottom of this order.

I'm going to try to get to Drew Anderson in the SSG Landers bullpen tonight in Incheon and ask some Sox front office related questions...and which players are the biggest dicks.

14 minutes ago, DoUEvenShift said:

That's crazy

Vinnie might want to keep that kind of information to himself or Getzy is liable to trade Thorpe while his stock is high.

44 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

Three very good starts against the hot hot Twins. All three winnable. Maybe Kopech has decided to quit losing winnable games for us. That would be nice. 

The starting pitching is not the problem....it might be in a couple weeks, but not now.

• Like 1

Four hits each game makes for dull baseball. Lucky to get a split. That said, the Sox have great starters. Bullpen is C- to D-plus but starters are sensational. Thorpe baby.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

And you frame just about every move Getz makes as a positive, which is even more insincere.  I remember you talking about how Brad Keller was a good pickup.  Give it up already.

Understanding the reasoning behind a move isn't a positive/negative paradigm. Eder was promoted to AAA. He's on the 40-man. They gave him a trip to Chicago, made him the "27th man" as a reward for his work, then sent him to Charlotte. Recognizing that isn't "insincere". It's called being a mature adult who can grasp front office thinking. 

I'm not sure what Brad Keller has to do with this. He was on the team. The usual crew was bitching about it in the usual manner, suggesting that people you would deem "not ready" should get his innings to "learn" at the major league level. I suggested that finding out if they could tweak Keller into a tradeable piece was the most important issue at hand, since he was on the major league roster. 

But of course, you can't ever seem to remember context, and just make up your own story. 

21 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

Understanding the reasoning behind a move isn't a positive/negative paradigm. Eder was promoted to AAA. He's on the 40-man. They gave him a trip to Chicago, made him the "27th man" as a reward for his work, then sent him to Charlotte. Recognizing that isn't "insincere". It's called being a mature adult who can grasp front office thinking. 

I'm not sure what Brad Keller has to do with this. He was on the team. The usual crew was bitching about it in the usual manner, suggesting that people you would deem "not ready" should get his innings to "learn" at the major league level. I suggested that finding out if they could tweak Keller into a tradeable piece was the most important issue at hand, since he was on the major league roster. 

But of course, you can't ever seem to remember context, and just make up your own story. 

The point is, you haven’t seen a dumpster diving pickup by Getz that you haven’t liked.  So if any move that Getz makes can be sugar-coated in some manner, how can he ever make a bad move?

On 4/14/2024 at 8:53 PM, WestEddy said:

I'm glad Getz is pivoting this quickly, and not just giving "see you at the parade" answers. If Flexen, Fedde and Soroka can't get out of the 4th inning, I can see Brad Keller and Clevinger pushing them to the bullpen, or off the team. And then Cannon being in the rotation by July. 

On 5/16/2024 at 4:20 PM, WestEddy said:

Brad Keller is on the roster. He's starting games. If they can return him to the 3-4 WAR pitcher he used to be, and trade him for a prospect, that would be a key part of the future of this team. So, let's see, let Jon Cannon get lit up 6 more times, or showcase a guy who will bring back an outfielder?

7 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

The point is, you haven’t seen a dumpster diving pickup by Getz that you haven’t liked.  So if any move that Getz makes can be sugar-coated in some manner, how can he ever make a bad move?

I don't see how any of this proves any point you're trying to make. 

Getz has made 2 moves I don't like. The Maldonado signing, and the Clevinger signing. Beyond that, it's a rebuild, and pretty much NONE of their prospects were ready. The whole plan was A) Pick up a bunch of pitchers, cheap; B) upgrade the open positions, defensively; C) try to fix the pitchers; D) trade them.

They "dumpster dived" a bunch of pitchers. Rich Hill didn't seem to have anything. They sure bailed on Chavez early, but he only seems to have pitched well for the Braves in the last 8 years. They cut bait on Shaw fast, but whatever. They did upgrade their SS, 2B, C and RF defense. They sure did a good job turning Crochet into a starter, signing Fedde, wringing quality starts out of Chris Flexen, fixing Brebbia. If Kopech is finally listening to his pitching coaches, dude could be a fucking monster in the next 3 weeks. Immaculate inning? Hand Kleenex out to the scouts. 

Seems like there's nothing to hate in a clear rebuilding season. We were talking about 2 pieces to move in the winter - Cease and Robert. They traded Cease, now they have 2 more monsters - Fedde and Crochet. Kopech if this last appearance is for real. 

So why should I not like the dumpster diving in a clear rebuild? Some guys will hit, some won't. Every. Single. Move. Doesn't have to hit. That one of Fedde, Flexen and Soroka did is a total Win. 

That last quote of mine actually makes me feel good about my memory. They sent Cannon to AAA, he worked on stuff, and came back better. Win. They tried Keller out. I don't know if they didn't think he would cut it, or didn't have room, but c'est la vie. Win. 

Yeah, unless Getz trades Colson Montgomery for, I don't know, Joe Kelly - to shore up the bullpen - there really isn't a "bad" move Getz can make in a rebuild year like this. 

Keep grabbing up guys - try them out - if they don't work, launch them. 

I really don't understand how you don't grasp any of this, and have to make up BS to rail about all day every day. 

20 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

there really isn't a "bad" move Getz can make in a rebuild year like this. 

This is pretty much all that you needed to say.  I am glad to finally see you said that you will find a reason to justify everything though.

• Thanks 3

48 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

And I'm sorry, but you got me going, now. Fedde - $7.5m. Flexen - $1.75M. Soroka - $3m.

$12.25m for 3 pitchers. Fedde's going to bring back a package. 

Frankie Montas signed with the Reds for $14m + $2m buyout. Dude's just pitching .... okay. 

So, Getz paid less for an experiment, will net way more in trade from what they fixed up. And you're whining about dumpster diving? 

I'm guessing you don't like to follow baseball teams that make good decisions. Montas is a guy people were calling for the Sox to sign and flip. 

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

This is pretty much all that you needed to say.  I am glad to finally see you said that you will find a reason to justify everything though.

WTF are you even talking about?!? You're not even quoting my complete sentence, that's how much of a weasel you are. 

But I'm glad you were able to find and get that bit of bile out before bedtime. Never go to bed spiteful. 

Thorpe is super interesting. He's kinda a unicorn. Just looking at some of his data after today's start. He def has some MB like tendencies but as a RHP a little harder to make that stand up. Still, a promising start to his career.

• Like 1