Crochet wants an extension to pitch in the playoffs

6 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

https://sports.yahoo.com/mlb-trade-deadline-what-do-the-yankees-phillies-and-other-contenders-need-to-add-before-july-30-183555000.html

Phillies Royals Pads all fitting into Robert Crochet sweepstakes.  KC would be a massive gut punch on Luis.

No mention of Fedde here, strangely.

Pillar and Pham getting shoutouts.

No DeJong mention.

Also, feels like they end up standing pat with Vaughn.

Lol at Royals being a fit for Crochet/Robert. That farm is awful. They don’t have the prospects to fetch Fedde. Think along the lines of Tommy Pham for KC. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, peanut33tillman said:

Lol at Royals being a fit for Crochet/Robert. That farm is awful. They don’t have the prospects to fetch Fedde. Think along the lines of Tommy Pham for KC. 

They need OF help desperately and it won't be Benintendi again unless Sox eat 85% of remaining contract dollars.

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

They need OF help desperately and it won't be Benintendi again unless Sox eat 85% of remaining contract dollars.

Robert is way too rich for what they could acquire especially with multiple years still on his deal. If they want an OFer from the Sox it would have to be a guy like Pham. They dont have the dudes for either Crochet or Robert here.

18 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

A guy like Cease or Quintana? Sure bet on their health.  Crochet?  Not me.

This is it for me. I’m cashing in my winnings asap. I’m totally good with moving Crochet for the right offer. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

This is it for me. I’m cashing in my winnings asap. I’m totally good with moving Crochet for the right offer. 

If we ran the Crochet experiment with 100 pitchers who had the same injury history/innings base, how many make it to the break with 100 innings and healthy 1? 5?  I am taking my winnings and going home.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Julio just got hurt. We need to fleece the Mariners.

Trouble is that Robert is a K machine these days, which is exactly what they don't need.

The other curious thing about the Mariners is that their top 10 prospects are all position players.  Their Major League team can't hit a lick.  Yet they haven't called up a single prospect.  Even if it would be "rushing" someone, you'd think that they'd still try it with a player or 2.

On 7/20/2024 at 7:28 AM, Falstaff said:

If Getz can't get his "haul" for either Crochet or Robert during the trading deadline then he might get interest from 29 teams in the off season. 

Maybe some fairly close teams with lots of prospects like the Cubs or Nats might be interested in the offseason.  But kicking the can down the road carries its own risks.  And the players are depreciating assets.  With Crochet, you lose 1/3 of the post seasons, which is where is highest value lies.

20 hours ago, PaleAleSox said:

Incredibly weird gimmick you've got going on about him.

If you can’t laugh at yourself life is harder. ? Relative to the other horseshit I’ve posted here in the last twenty years, this kick is tame. ??

• Haha 1

From Passan's Team By Team Trade Deadline Preview posted as ESPN+. The White Sox section.

Chicago White Sox: All out. They are listening on everyone, and they're the odds-on favorite to make the most deals in the next week. Rarely does a deadline line up so well for one team. The White Sox have the best pitcher and hitter actively on the market (Crochet and Robert). They've got arguably the best under-control pitcher expected to move (Erick Fedde) and another bat who's a deadline darling (Tommy Pham). They've got relievers (Michael Kopech, John Brebbia, Tanner Banks) and infielders (first baseman Andrew Vaughn and shortstop Paul DeJong). They're happy to do package deals or one-offs. When you're on pace to go 43-119, anything is on the table.

There is a chance Chicago holds on to one (or all) of its most valuable trade chips and moves them come the offseason -- especially if teams leery of Crochet's innings try to pay reliever prices for him -- but the prospect of an organization getting desperate and meeting the required return is never more palpable than in a wide-open playoff panorama.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/insider/story/_/id/40617439/2024-mlb-trade-deadline-preview-passan-stars-teams-deal-garrett-crochet-luis-robert-yankees-dodgers-phillies

Edited by DirtySox
  • Thanks 1
  • Paper Bag 1

1 minute ago, DirtySox said:

I was coming here hoping a birdie would drop what was written.

Heartening to see. Terrified to see Getz trade.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

I will say - similar to our last blow up and trade, we do have somewhat good timing in that a lot of the top teams have good to great farms. 

Pulling out some more quotes pertaining to White Sox, and paraphrasing some things.

- Dodgers have the pieces to play in any sandbox. Mentions both Robert and Crochet as options.

- Orioles could get Robert and Crochet if they desired. But "they are more patience than blockbuster."

- Padres are on the prowl, but Salas and De Vries are off limits, and they wouldn't have the pieces to get a Crochet type player without them. Also mentions Snelling and Lesko backing up this season.

- Mariners are looking to add within reason due to their recent slump. They were all in buyers before, but might be reconsidering. Ideal situation would be match up with a team that has under control bats. Doesn't mention any teams in specific as partners. Says performance in upcoming series against the Angels and White Sox might dictate direction.

- Dominguez and Spencer Jones aren't entirely off the table for the Yankees. Doesn't mention them targeting any specific players though.

- Regarding Skubal, any hopes of acquiring him would require the sort of overpay no team would be willing to consider. Flaherty is much more likely to be moved.

- Red Sox might be adding and subtracting. Internal feelings are that they are overachieving and might be best suited to hold onto the young core pieces who are knocking on the door. (Mayer, Anthony, Teel, Campbell.)

The Phillies might not be terribly busy, because when you're on a 103-win pace with the best run differential in baseball, little additions don't do much -- but there is no better fit than Philadelphia and Robert. The one thing the Phillies lack is an impact center fielder, and they've got the prospects to tempt Chicago.

Edited by DirtySox

I see the O's going for Fedde instead of trading their better prospects (Holliday, Kjerstad, Basallo, Mayo, etc) for Crochet.

Something like Norby, Beavers, and another piece or two feels right.

Edited by Bob Sacamano
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

I still am fine with the Phillies as a Robert trade partner. Dombrowski has the balls to actually make a trade like this. Miller, Caba, Crawford, are all very desirable.

Of the GMs that will cash in on prospects (Phillies, Padres, Dodgers), they definitely lineup the best. I can see Robert going because Dombrowski makes a move, but Crochet staying put because other teams can't build a package/hug prospects.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Hopefully Captain Panic figures this one out, it's only the future of the franchise at stake.  No biggie.

I don't see him as captain panic. He seems very patient and thorough with his process. I thought the handling of the Cease trade was good.

Edited by ptatc

Just now, ptatc said:

I just see him as captain panic. He seems very patient and thorough with his process. I thought the handling of the Cease trade was good.

Yeah I thought he did well on the Cease trade. I understand thinking he is panicking on some of these "on the edge" moves, but none of them ultimately matter. All that matters is what he gets in these 3 big trades between now and next season. 

24 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Hopefully Captain Panic figures this one out, it's only the future of the franchise at stake.  No biggie.

I don’t understand this nickname 

• Love 1