Crochet wants an extension to pitch in the playoffs

17 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Are teams willing to deal position player prospects now?

Doesn’t really seem like anyone wants to ever. I saw a report that the Padres don’t want to trade Salas or De Vries. They’re 100% out on Crochet if that’s the case. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

I'm in your camp - he has spent a lot of time churning and we can see what he threw out, but at same time we have seen potential wins. Fedde is a huge win and they should get great value for him at the deadline.  DeJong and Pham are both going to get value and Grossman got them something.

I also think moving Cease when they did worked out well and early returns on Thorpe are positive and we'll see what happens with the rest.  But part of the Cease piece is, strategically, I don't think taking the long bet with pitching when you have good offers on the table is a smart move.  The risk of injury (regardless of track record) is high, so to me the risk you get 0 vs. 90 cents on the dollar (and even that is debatable) drives me to make the deal vs. the added risk.  

For example - on Crochet, I would be working every angle to prevent him from making another start. I am so worried when he takes the mound that he'll have a tweak or something pops up. If it does - we go from getting at least 2 top 100 guys (conservatively) to basically being back at square one.  Given long-term view of the franchise - that is a risk I'm not willing to take.  

How many innings do we expect Crochet to pitch tonight? Doesn't seem like it makes sense to run him out there for more than 50 pitches or so. 

1 hour ago, Harry Chappas said:

I think you can build an offense through free agency but it is harder to build pitching (especially JR style) through free agency. 

Go to the fangraphs or whatever your choice is of website's leaderboards. Go to the pitchers and look on the first page for players that signed for cheap this year that are now a top pitcher.

Now go to the position players. You'll have to go to page 3. 

Who is the Eric Fedde of position players this year? There are Fedde's every year. Building an offense out of FA would be committing to Rangers level of spending. You build your rotation first, they'll have atrophied by time you get the hitting. 

Twins/rangers...Baltimore. So many build their rotations later.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Are teams willing to deal position player prospects now?

If they aren't, the White Sox are in deep, deep, DEEP trouble.  Their top position player prospects took steps back this year, or at least didn't take any steps forward.  if they aren't trading for these guys, they have nothing on the horizon which is going to cover all of those holes.

• Thanks 2
  • Love 1

5 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

If they aren't, the White Sox are in deep, deep, DEEP trouble.  Their top position player prospects took steps back this year, or at least didn't take any steps forward.  if they aren't trading for these guys, they have nothing on the horizon which is going to cover all of those holes.

Agreed. Hopefully,  some of the advanced college bays they drafted aren't too far away.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

2 again is my guess

If he only goes two innings, then why should another team dig deep for a trading package?

32 minutes ago, bmags said:

Go to the fangraphs or whatever your choice is of website's leaderboards. Go to the pitchers and look on the first page for players that signed for cheap this year that are now a top pitcher.

Now go to the position players. You'll have to go to page 3. 

Who is the Eric Fedde of position players this year? There are Fedde's every year. Building an offense out of FA would be committing to Rangers level of spending. You build your rotation first, they'll have atrophied by time you get the hitting. 

Twins/rangers...Baltimore. So many build their rotations later.

Let's get nuts...sign Juan Soto.

Edit: wild to me that he is younger than Oscar Colas and Chris Getz favorites Dominic Fletcher and Zach DeLoach.

Edited by Bob Sacamano
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Rey21 said:

I read this as “Hey Dodgers and O’s your offers suck, time to ? or get off the pot” 

I read it as nothing because Morosi is bad and just tweets whatever all of the time.

• Like 4

Tallying up Passan's article from this morning:
All-in Buyers 2 (Dodgers, Yankees)
Non all-in Buyers 9 (Philly, Padres, DBacks, Braves, Cards, Mariners, Astros, Guards, Royals)

All out Sellers 4 (Sox, Nats, Angels, Marlins)
Partial Sellers 6 (As, Jays, Tigers, Rockies, Cubs, Reds)
The rest try to thread the needle in one way or another, with Texas TBD
Buyers:  11  Sellers: 10

If he's correct in his assessment, it really is more of an even market than a seller's market.

14 hours ago, GreenSox said:

Tallying up Passan's article from this morning:
All-in Buyers 2 (Dodgers, Yankees)
Non all-in Buyers 9 (Philly, Padres, DBacks, Braves, Cards, Mariners, Astros, Guards, Royals)

All out Sellers 4 (Sox, Nats, Angels, Marlins)
Partial Sellers 6 (As, Jays, Tigers, Rockies, Cubs, Reds)
The rest try to thread the needle in one way or another, with Texas TBD
Buyers:  11  Sellers: 10

If he's correct in his assessment, it really is more of an even market than a seller's market.

Where are the orioles? 

This doesn’t quantify need. The basic threshold of buying versus selling only factors in organizational strategy. The assets themselves and the need for those assets is the qualitative assessment that tells the real story. Buyers versus sellers by itself is a measurement but it’s misleading as the only variable looked at.