Crochet wants an extension to pitch in the playoffs

I know we want to get as much for Robert and Crochet.

Honestly, I don't want them to trade Crochet but I get it.

I want to see some of the smaller moves so they can start trimming fat....

Kopech, Dejong, Vaughn, Bennintendi (Even if someone offers you a broken down pinto), brebbia, Banks, Lopz, and some others.

This narrative around Robert is confusing to me.  The Sox absolutely do not HAVE to trade him.  Its definitely a homeless man owning a Lamborghini situation, but the Sox absolutely should not be desperate to move him and settle for some BS package.  It really irks me.  Robert should bring a monster return, or you just hold until winter, or summer 2025 and get the monster package then. There is risk, but there is risk with any player and the control is what makes the risk worth bearing if the offers are not there.  The Sox absolutely HAVE to hit a home run on the Robert return. 

Edited by ChiSox59
typo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1
  • Fire 1

3 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

This narrative around Robert is confusing to me.  The Sox absolutely do not HAVE to trade him.  Its definitely a homeless man owning a Lamborghini situation, but the Sox absolutely should not be desperate to move him and settle for some BS package.  It really irks me.  Robert should bring a monster return, or you just hold until winter, or summer 2025 and get the monster package then. There is risk, but there is risk with any player and the control is what makes the risk worth bearing if the offers are not there.  The Sox absolutely HAVE to hit a home run on the Robert return. 

Agreed if it’s just one of the Phillies prospects top 4.. that’s an easy risk to take

1 minute ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Fine by me if your best offer is what Bowden proposes

The thing about Robert is that upside is so tantalizing.  Maybe it never all clicks, maybe it does. Even if his meh 2024 continues, and is repeated in 2025 with some IL stints, but then he has a monster first half in 2026, you can still get a huge package.  His deal is immensely affordable.  

7 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

My gut says if they don't trade Robert, he ends up rotting on and off the IL the next 3 years with the team haha

I think it's a forgone conclusion that he's moved, it's just a matter of when. And we probably won't like the return.

13 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Agreed if it’s just one of the Phillies prospects top 4.. that’s an easy risk to take

Even if you start something around Crawford and Caba, you can back fill some of the more interesting middle of the diamond young hitters they have down in the system.

1 hour ago, Bob Sacamano said:

So basically, the only way a team can use him in the playoffs is if they throw cash at him after being traded?

So much for that innings limit I’ve been hearing about for the last 6 months

• Fire 1

11 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

So much for that innings limit I’ve been hearing about for the last 6 months

That’s how you interpreted that tweet?  I read it as Crochet acknowledging that he does have an innings limit but will attempt to extend his innings pitched as a starter into the playoffs if some team pays up for him to do so and risk injury.  He’s simply trying to leverage the situation to force a team that trades for him to show him the money.  There is still no guarantee that he won’t be worn out with dead arm by then.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

That’s how you interpreted that tweet?  I read it as Crochet acknowledging that he does have an innings limit but will attempt to extend his innings pitched as a starter into the playoffs if some team pays up for him to do so and risk injury.  He’s simply trying to leverage the situation to force a team that trades for him to show him the money.  There is still no guarantee that he won’t be worn out with dead arm by then.

It's smart AF. He knows whatever club gets him will want to use him like a rented mule in October. That's how guys fray their shoulders and elbows, going max out at the end of the year. He might not even know he got hurt until he picked up a ball in the offseason and didn't feel right. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, chitownsportsfan said:

It's smart AF. He knows whatever club gets him will want to use him like a rented mule in October. That's how guys fray their shoulders and elbows, going max out at the end of the year. He might not even know he got hurt until he picked up a ball in the offseason and didn't feel right. 

Yep, and the early extension will provide him with a security blanket in case he does get injured.

38 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Even if you start something around Crawford and Caba, you can back fill some of the more interesting middle of the diamond young hitters they have down in the system.

I would absolutely kill to get Caba from them. I think that kid is going to be special down the road. 

14 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

“Normal starter workload until end of regular season” so yea

16 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

I can totally see what you’re saying now that I read it again, but that’s not how I interpreted it when I first read it. 

I read it as Crochet has a plan to continue pitching as a starter until the end of the season, but that plan would need to extend into October if he’s traded to a playoff team. 

Not saying I’m correct. That’s just how I first interpreted it. 

13 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

“Normal starter workload until end of regular season” so yea

The tweet from Heyman is, “Garrett Crochet plan with White Sox is to pitch normal workload as starter until end of regular season.”

However, we already know that this isn’t true, as the Sox have already begun to limit his innings/pitch count.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

7 minutes ago, Romeo_Santiago81 said:

I wouldn't mind White Sox returns includes a PTBNL, maybe they can snag a Vance Honeycutt from Orioles or one of the other 2024 mlb draftee prospects just a thought on the returns obviously the packages need a headliner...

2024 draftees  can't be traded, or even be a PTBNL until after the World Series.

30 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

The tweet from Heyman is, “Garrett Crochet plan with White Sox is to pitch normal workload as starter until end of regular season.”

However, we already know that this isn’t true, as the Sox have already begun to limit his innings/pitch count.

I mean he’s going to pitch 150+ innings this season and 150 is the old 200. Full season workload as far as I’m concerned.

18 minutes ago, Romeo_Santiago81 said:

I wouldn't mind White Sox returns includes a PTBNL, maybe they can snag a Vance Honeycutt from Orioles or one of the other 2024 mlb draftee prospects just a thought on the returns obviously the packages need a headliner...

nevermind. answered. 

Edited by WestEddy

If Crochet is saying hes not pitching in the playoffs unless he gets a contract extension I think you can pretty much forget about trading him until the off-season.

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5658807/2024/07/25/garrett-crochet-white-sox-trade-deadline/?source=emp_shared_article

No longer is it straightforward that one of the worst teams in baseball history would move one of the sport’s best pitchers to build for the future.

As Tuesday’s trade deadline nears, concerns are mounting about Chicago White Sox left-hander Garrett Crochet’s availability for a playoff run this season, including his desire for a contract extension before he would agree to pitch in October, league sources said.

With Crochet’s innings total already nearing maximum capacity, his preference is to stay on a starter’s routine, believing that structure would be best for his long-term health. At least some potential buyers are aware of Crochet’s current disinterest in becoming a high-leverage reliever or shifting into a hybrid role, unless the team that acquires him is willing to share in that risk and sign him to a long-term contract extension, according to league sources who confirmed Thursday’s report by the New York Post’s Jon Heyman.

The problem with that scenario is that a club effectively would be leveraged into giving Crochet an extension without knowing whether he would be physically capable of pitching in October, or effective while working in uncharted territory.

The uncertainty, though, has fueled a belief that the White Sox may wait until the offseason, when more teams could be interested in a trade. At the very least, it appears that Crochet’s camp wants a seat at the table.

Edited by DirtySox

5 minutes ago, T R U said:

If Crochet is saying hes not pitching in the playoffs unless he gets a contract extension I think you can pretty much forget about trading him until the off-season.

That's how I am reading it. 

In fact, on the MLBTR podcast episode yesterday when they talked about the Sox and the trade deadline, they suggested this as a possibility for him. With the uncertainty of his innings and wear and tear on his body and wanting to stay healthy to get paid one day, sign an extension with a team to pitch in the post-season.

Edited by Bob Sacamano