Crochet wants an extension to pitch in the playoffs

Just now, Bob Sacamano said:

That's how I am reading it. 

In fact, on the MLBTR podcast episode yesterday when they talked about the Sox and the trade deadline, they suggested this as a possibility.

If this trade deadline is just Fedde and then a bunch of garbage nothing trades, talk about making a shitty season even worse.

• Thanks 2

Just now, DirtySox said:

Wouldn't a contract extension worked out within the trade also increase the return to the White Sox? Isn't that historically how it's worked?

Who the hell is going to agree to sign him to an extension in the next 5 days lol? Its crazy.

1 minute ago, DirtySox said:

Wouldn't a contract extension worked out within the trade also increase the return to the White Sox? Isn't that historically how it's worked?

I think it would be agreed to and negotiated between after a trade and post-season. That is, if he doesn't change his mind and just pitches.

Short version: no, because it's not a part of the trade.

Edited by Bob Sacamano

3 minutes ago, T R U said:

If this trade deadline is just Fedde and then a bunch of garbage nothing trades, talk about making a shitty season even worse.

It would feel like a bit of a kick in the dick but we can always move Crochet in the off-season.

9 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

Crochet is interested in an extension because he knows his value has never been higher and if he bets on himself for 2 years, there’s a high probability it could go lower than it is now.  

People are viewing him as elite now (as they should).  So I think it makes sense for him to cash in on “elite” money.

Edited by FT35
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Whisox05 said:

What's he going to do, leave the team in the postseason and go home if he doesn't get an extension? Seems pretty ridiculous to say that.

Agreed. That's something that shouldn't be made public.

This would hurt negotiations, no?

9 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

No it doesn't. He's a pitcher. He's worth 150 million right now. He could be worth 25 million if he blows out his shoulder in the next two seasons, at best. Is James a poster here? I've got a bone to pick with him here, it doesn't make any sense. In fact, the very reason he wants to get extended in October is because it makes sense to cash in now, when his value is sky high and he's as healthy as he'll ever be going forward.

Just now, chitownsportsfan said:

No it doesn't. He's a pitcher. He's worth 150 million right now. He could be worth 25 million if he blows out his shoulder in the next two seasons, at best. Is James a poster here? I've got a bone to pick with him here, it doesn't make any sense. In fact, the very reason he wants to get extended in October is because it makes sense to cash in now, when his value is sky high and he's as healthy as he'll ever be going forward.

He is a poster here (I don't know if that was actually a serious question or not lol)

He is a poster here (I don't know if that was actually a serious question or not lol)

I can't keep track of these guys. I'm a man, I'm 40. I got other s%*# floating around in my coconut that 25 year old chitown did not.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

It absolutely kills negotiations because I can't imagine a scenario where a team wants to trade for him and sign him to whatever extension hes looking for in the next few days. There's way too much risk in that for another team who as of right now knows nothing at all about him.

And if you believe what has been reported, the Sox already tried to talk extension with him and it went nowhere immediately which tells me his ask is probably not realistic.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Really? James has posted here for years. He's one of the known insiders.

Edited by DirtySox

21 minutes ago, T R U said:

At least they get the first pick in the draft 

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

It is certainly a potential monkey wrench. And what happens when the team who acquires him calls his bluff? He's still under contract for 2 more seasons so its not like a team risks losing him this winter.

So is this a situation where the front office wasn’t communicating well with Crochet and his agent the last few months?  Not trading him over the next week seems so damn risky.