Crochet wants an extension to pitch in the playoffs

2 hours ago, hogan873 said:

That's a haul for Crochet.  And the Robert trade seems pretty light.

I think if either guy gets traded, the Crochet return will be lighter, and the Robert return would be a little better.

The Crochet deal is a pretty nice package of prospect for sure 

Robert deal is not close at all. No deal for Sox. 

Fedde return would be extemely weak. No deal for Sox. 

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

So is this a situation where the front office wasn’t communicating well with Crochet and his agent the last few months?  Not trading him over the next week seems so damn risky.

If we don't trade him, we just shut him down and do it in the off-season. There's zero risk here.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, fathom said:

So is this a situation where the front office wasn’t communicating well with Crochet and his agent the last few months?  Not trading him over the next week seems so damn risky.

50% chance it's a smoke screen imo, for whatever ends, for whatever team.

28 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

Wouldn't a contract extension worked out within the trade also increase the return to the White Sox? Isn't that historically how it's worked?

The only context I can think of is if a player has a no trade clause and leverages an extension with the new team as a condition of agreeing to the trade. Crochet has no real leverage here though. I get him wanting to have a say in how he is used for the rest of the season and in the future, but he is under contract either way.

4 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I will say Bowden is very bad / inconsistent with his trade proposals

He can only handle thinking about one team. So if he wants Cards to get fedde, he'll mak eit light. When it's focused on the team trading, he gives way too much.

It's why he was a good gm...

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

The only context I can think of is if a player has a no trade clause and leverages an extension with the new team as a condition of agreeing to the trade. Crochet has no real leverage here though. I get him wanting to have a say in how he is used for the rest of the season and in the future, but he is under contract either way.

Crochet has plenty of leverage, if he says hes not pitching in the post season the team that trades for him can't make him.

1 minute ago, T R U said:

Crochet has plenty of leverage, if he says hes not pitching in the post season the team that trades for him can't make him.

That's a wild strategy though, if you don't promise me more pay, I won't do my job which you are paying me for already.

• Like 2

Everyone in the universe has known about the innings issue since April.  To me, this sounds like something has been agreed to and the acquiring team has been given a window to work something out with Crochet before its finalized. 

• Like 1

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

That's a wild strategy though, if you don't promise me more pay, I won't do my job which you are paying me for already.

This is a little differernt of a situation though. Im sure there is a limit he has for the amount of innings he was to pitch this season. If he gets to that cap, you're basically asking him to compromise his health for the benefit of only the team.

1 minute ago, T R U said:

This is a little differernt of a situation though. Im sure there is a limit he has for the amount of innings he was to pitch this season. If he gets to that cap, you're basically asking him to compromise his health for the benefit of only the team.

He doesn't dictate his inning limit, his employer does. Crochet has zero leverage here. 

• Like 2

Just now, TaylorStSox said:

He doesn't dictate his inning limit, his employer does. Crochet has zero leverage here. 

Completely disagree, but I guess were about to find out.

36 minutes ago, T R U said:

If Crochet is saying hes not pitching in the playoffs unless he gets a contract extension I think you can pretty much forget about trading him until the off-season.

Yeah, this would be very disastrous and make hard to trade him this deadline

• Like 1

Can’t fault Crochet, but these conditions have screwed the Sox. No team will trade for him now under these conditions, and next winter he essentially become a free agent with a 5 year demand, leaving the Sox with basically a “ compensation pick “ from the team taking on the extension risk. Unless jr ponies up with the ext. and kick starts this rebuild. 

2 minutes ago, Baker said:

Can’t fault Crochet, but these conditions have screwed the Sox. No team will trade for him now under these conditions, and next winter he essentially become a free agent with a 5 year demand, leaving the Sox with basically a “ compensation pick “ from the team taking on the extension risk. Unless jr ponies up with the ext. and kick starts this rebuild. 

Nah, he will have a huge market this offseason IF he stays healthy.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, PaleAleSox said:

Is he trying to not get traded? I truly don't get it.

hes trying to protect himself and his financial future.

1 hour ago, chitownsportsfan said:

No it doesn't. He's a pitcher. He's worth 150 million right now. He could be worth 25 million if he blows out his shoulder in the next two seasons, at best. Is James a poster here? I've got a bone to pick with him here, it doesn't make any sense. In fact, the very reason he wants to get extended in October is because it makes sense to cash in now, when his value is sky high and he's as healthy as he'll ever be going forward.

You fall on your head recently bro?

3 hours ago, Bob Sacamano said:

So basically, the only way a team can use him in the playoffs is if they throw cash at him after being traded?

Thats been brought up before.It isn't new.I t was dumb then and it's dumb now.

They're basically saying Crochet ,if he makes it to the post season healthy ,will refuse to pitch unless he gets an extension.How could they even know that. Can they talk to Crochet's agent ?

Also why would the team trading for him want a physically max out at that point, pitcher risking his health in the post seaon when he's still got 2 more years ? They're saying Crochet would be willing to jeopardize his whole career i he got an extension , a big one presumably. That would be a huge financial risk for 1 post season from a guy who may not physically be up to it.

39 minutes ago, T R U said:

If he doesn't want to pitch in the post season, he can stay with the Sox...for like a long time.

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, T R U said:

hes trying to protect himself and his financial future.

Nothing to endear you to a new city, fanbase, employer and teammates like telling them they can all get bent unless you get more money to do the job you are already getting paid for.  It's a bold strategy Cotton, let's see if is pays off for him.

• Thanks 1