Crochet wants an extension to pitch in the playoffs

48 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Many players have dictated the draft by refusing to play for certain teams. 

Why be forced to compete for the worst team in baseball history for a totally inept organization going nowhere fast? 

Undrafted players aren't under contract.

Edited by TaylorStSox

37 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

The White Sox are ultimately going to look like jackasses again when his meagre token extension offer is put out there publicly. 

Everyone else will perceive it as a low ball offer. 

I think the Sox look like geniuses right now.Katz and Bannister developed Crochet into the pitcher he is now by limiting his sweeper /slider usage to RHB because it was getting hit for HRs and his command wasn't strong with it and worked on the cutter with him and he had much better command of it and was much more effective against RHB .

I don't really see anything wrong with a token extension offer. There's no guarantee he'll be the same  pitcher  in 2027 he is now. He still has a lot to prove.

If another team wants to extend him then trade for him, extend him and we'll all get to see how wise it was.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Can you force him to pitch when each start this season increases the probability of injury by 5-10%?   More innings this season than his entire career... not to mention a significant shoulder injury at Univ of Tennessee? 

Will the Sox and/or MLB get sued for $150 million if he goes down with another TJ surgery??? 

Will anyone insure him in this situation? 

Moncada, for example, has collected nearly $20 million this year for not doing basically anything. 

Good luck trying to make this quantifiable. It's a laughable proposal.

13 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Mason Miller off the trade market due to injury. That combined with the Rangers back in the playoff race certainly helps the Sox leverage.

Leverage for what?  Crochet just killed any chance of trading him for a haul and Robert has decided to get ice cold at the wrong time.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Leverage for what?  Crochet just killed any chance of trading him for a haul and Robert has decided to get ice cold at the wrong time.

We have no idea if there’s any truth to what Heyman reported. Regardless, Fedde, Kopech, Brebbia, Banks, Flexen, Wilson are all on the block. Miller being unavailable might actually result in Kopech returning a 45 FV prospect.

12 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

IF you believe the reports about him wanting an extension to pitch in the postseason. Yankees or some other team could be putting a narrative out there to make try to make it easier to acquire him. I doubt the Dodgers will be dissuaded. They might be the one team who could limit his use the rest of the season and still win their division and use him in the playoffs.

34 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

No better cure for your playoffs hope than facing the Sox

And if those wins prevent the Rangers from putting their guys on the trade market it's win win . Or in the Sox case lose win. Less players on trade market = more suitors for Sox players.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

What makes you think Heyman knows the plan ?

What we should be asking ourselves is was that 74 pitch outing yesterday because of protecting him for a trade or a new pitch limit to lower his usage in the event he isn't traded. We may never know.

Yea it’s the third time we’ve seen his velo drop at the end of a performance near the 60 pitch mark…

Previous two times he’s bounced back strong. Let’s hope that trend continues… otherwise if he comes out of the gate with low velo next start, I think he should be given extra rest.

3 hours ago, DirtySox said:

I've long argued if I were Crochet - knowing I have had a bunch of injuries, the opportunity to get a big bite at the apple is worth it. Make sure you get that generational money. The risk of your arm falling off is not small -> so why take that risk that you have your arm fall off between now and your free agent time and than you are going 1 year at a time, etc.  

If he were to do a deal where he say buy outs 2 years of arb - so kind of a 4yr extension (2 years of real extension) and were to secure say $80-$100M guaranteed - that is a big deal. Sure, he could wait until free agency and get individual increases and than if all goes right hit FA healthy and than go sign some 5yr 150M deal (plus bank another $30M over next few years with arb raises)...but the downside of it going bad is not so great.  

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, TaylorStSox said:

If he just straight up refuses to pitch, then teams will collude and refuse to pay him. There's no chance MLB gives players the power to sit out while actively under contract. They will crush him.

He won't refuse to pitch. Hell pitch if he feels good. But he's only likely to feel good if his usage is curtailed in the 2nd half enough to allow him to pitch in the playoffs.

It's always been a crapshoot to acquire him and expect much more out of him. It's why I never thought he'd be traded by the deadline. He still may be but it's looking worse day by day. I'll still go with the Dodgers if he is traded.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I've long argued if I were Crochet - knowing I have had a bunch of injuries, the opportunity to get a big bite at the apple is worth it. Make sure you get that generational money. The risk of your arm falling off is not small -> so why take that risk that you have your arm fall off between now and your free agent time and than you are going 1 year at a time, etc.  

If he were to do a deal where he say buy outs 2 years of arb - so kind of a 4yr extension (2 years of real extension) and were to secure say $80-$100M guaranteed - that is a big deal. Sure, he could wait until free agency and get individual increases and than if all goes right hit FA healthy and than go sign some 5yr 150M deal (plus bank another $30M over next few years with arb raises)...but the downside of it going bad is not so great.  

If he pitches like this the next two years without injury, he's looking at Cole money of a few hundred million total.  Hell maybe more as a lefty.  If he gets to free agency with some sketchy health history where he has an injury or two and averages about half a year of work, he's in line for the Glasnow money of $30ish million for 5-ish years.

17 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

As a team, I'd like more than 2 years of FA but agree with the $$ amount per year.

This whole report honestly makes no sense. Garrett Crochet can't really refuse to play or dictate how a team uses him.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

WTF is he rambling about an extension?

Talk about talking out of your ass.  I have not seen one person say Robert should be extended right now when he has 3 years left on his deal after this season, and no one thinks he is deserving of $35 million a year.

Are the Sox actually pitching Fedde and Crochet this weekend; not even a bullpen game to give an extra day of rest?

Crochet making demands isn't good  (although sometimes Jon Heyman's information is about as accurate as if it came  from Paul Heyman).

You're up Fedde and I guess Kopech (who has been pitching well).