Crochet wants an extension to pitch in the playoffs

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Leverage for what?  Crochet just killed any chance of trading him for a haul and Robert has decided to get ice cold at the wrong time.

wtf?

1 hour ago, TaylorStSox said:

Good luck trying to make this quantifiable. It's a laughable proposal.

PTAC would take the middle road with the plethora of White Sox player injuries since Schneider retired and say nothing is laughable when it comes to one's health/comfort level and generational wealth being threatened....with no choice but to quit? 

And look how close both Rodon and Giolito were to losing out on hundreds of millions.  TA7 was at least 50% a story of injuries from 2022 onwards.  Moncada and Jimenez might not see $10 million combined the remainder of their careers.

Heck, Burger almost out of baseball and fought back in with the help of his wife despite the White Sox basically cutting him loose. 

Edited by caulfield12

1 minute ago, joejoesox said:

wtf?

https://abcnews.go.com/amp/Sports/white-sox-pitcher-garrett-crochet-start-extension-traded/story?id=112283792

The MLB trade deadline just got more complicated for teams interested in trading for Chicago White Sox starter  Garrett Crochet.

Crochet, 25, wants a contract extension if he's traded in order to pitch in the postseason this year, according to sources familiar with the situation. Crochet is also telling teams he has no desire to pitch out of the bullpen, citing health concerns for all of the above requests.

3 minutes ago, joejoesox said:

wtf?

What teams can afford to take on that level of risk? 

At most 5-6 total. 

I wish the Pirates Royals or Reds could pull it off to show just how cheap Sox are being. 

No pitching extensions beyond three years, ever?  Ridiculous.  Why even try to out a team out there? 

So Crochet refuses to do anything but start, but also wants to be paid more if you want him to start?

Sounds like a solid way to kill your trade value. His agent is dumb. The message should be “Garett will do anything you want, just please god get him away from the White Sox organization.”

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

What teams can afford to take on that level of risk? 

At most 5-6 total. 

I wish the Pirates Royals or Reds could pull it off to show just how cheap Sox are being. 

No pitching extensions beyond three years, ever?  Ridiculous.  Why even try to out a team out there? 

no, what changed between yesterday and today? nobody was saying Crochet's value was shot yesterday 

The top of San Diego's system remains strong. The club's top four prospects -- Ethan Salas (No. 6 overall prospect), Robby Snelling (No. 45), Dylan Lesko (No. 77) and Leodalis De Vries (No. 79) -- all rank among MLB Pipeline's Top 100 Prospects. But Salas is off-limits, and the Padres are reluctant to deal any of the other three -- particularly because they'd be selling low on Snelling and Lesko, who have struggled lately.

Beyond that quartet, there's a bit of a drop-off. But the next tier still has some intriguing players -- take outfielder Homer Bush Jr. (Padres' No. 8 prospect) or catcher Brandon Valenzuela (No. 11) for example.

How big will the Padres swing?
That depends on the cost. They've been linked with White Sox ace Garrett Crochet for months, but that would probably cost them De Vries, the top international player in this year's class. (Anyone else recall a 17-year-old international shortstop prospect being moved for a starting pitcher in a midseason Padres-White Sox trade?)

Garrett Crochet

Even De Vries might not be enough on his own. Starting pitching is at a premium, and it's a seller's market right now, with so many teams lingering around the fringes of the playoff race.

If Crochet and Detroit's Tarik Skubal are the biggest prizes on the trade market, it's probably likely the Padres acquire an arm or two from the tier below them. 

AJ Casavell, Padres Beat, MLB.com

Edited by caulfield12

Crochet can state this all he wants. It’s not how it works. He doesn’t really have a say in how a team uses him, unless he fakes an injury. It’s an unfortunate development, but it’s not the end of the world. Worst case, Sox kid glove him rest of reason and trade him in the winter. I also don’t necessarily take reports like this as gospel. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Like they did with Rodon? 

Or back to humanitarian non QO? 

Whole other situation. I hated how they handled Rodon in 2021. But I was on my own more or less. They used him up . They needed him that season. They wouldn't have made the playoffs if not for him being resigned for a pittance.

Most posters thought he was hurt .I kept telling them he was just worn out. And then I bitched that they wore him out since then . And I also advocated giving him the QO to get a draft pick but Sox were afraid to pay him $18M . A lot of posters agreed with the Sox not to give the QO . Imagine that in the middle of the contention window fans were worried about 1 more year for a guy who just pitched you into the playoffs after he just gave you $18M worth for $3M. Let's save Jerry's money for something better ! It worked out great for Rodon financially. Sox spiraled downhill since the 2nd half of 2021 .

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

So Crochet refuses to do anything but start, but also wants to be paid more if you want him to start?

Sounds like a solid way to kill your trade value. His agent is dumb. The message should be “Garett will do anything you want, just please god get him away from the White Sox organization.”

Sounds like he wants to stay a starter but is using the fact that the postseason would throw him over an innings limit to force an extension from any team that wants to trade for him.  Obviously, this isn’t going to increase his value.  If true, it can only hurt it.

7 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

This was known for a long time. It's no surprise. Him wanting to stay on a SP regular schedule isn't new news.

Sure the Sox are a terrible organization but Crochet hasn't put up the numbers he has this year all on his own.

Katz, Bannister and Crochet worked on new things to allow him to be in the position he's in now. I wouldn't want to f*** that up either now that he found somethings that makes him great.

I'm glad I'm not in Getz's shoes. If no team overspends, and he takes the best deal available, he sucks because he could have gotten more. If he holds and injuries cause value to drop, he sucks for not taking the best deal now. 

I don't see anyone going all in on a guy that's going to bring contract drama to your team chemistry and potentially fall off the cliff the final month of the season. 

I'm not seeing the haul I was hoping for when the season started. 

2 minutes ago, Texsox said:

I'm glad I'm not in Getz's shoes. If no team overspends, and he takes the best deal available, he sucks because he could have gotten more. If he holds and injuries cause value to drop, he sucks for not taking the best deal now. 

I don't see anyone going all in on a guy that's going to bring contract drama to your team chemistry and potentially fall off the cliff the final month of the season. 

I'm not seeing the haul I was hoping for when the season started. 

When the season started? What????

• Haha 1
  • Fire 2

7 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Sounds like he wants to stay a starter but is using the fact that the postseason would throw him over an innings limit to force an extension from any team that wants to trade for him.  Obviously, this isn’t going to increase his value.  If true, it can only hurt it.

And you called me naive for thinking Crochet had a good chance not to be traded because you thought Nightengale was right.

The chances always were always slim Crochet would be traded . You didn't need to be an insider to know that. It was going to be a tall task given the ask and his availability being limited for the rest of the season and the playoffs.

• Like 1

• southsider2k5 changed the title to Crochet wants an extension to pitch in the playoffs

Sounds like a bunch of teams want him on their team very badly and they’re doing everything they can to try and lower his price. Sox will still get a HAUL for him

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, fathom said:

Just seeing what transpired today, I wonder if the Dodgers were close to a deal and told him the plan was to have him close the rest of the season

If it blew up an underwhelming LAD deal, so be it. I will again ask the question what exactly Crochet can do if an acquiring club puts in the pen? 

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

If it blew up an underwhelming LAD deal, so be it. I will again ask the question what exactly Crochet can do if an acquiring club puts in the pen? 

He can say he’s fatigued and not pitch rest of year

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, fathom said:

He can say he’s fatigued and not pitch rest of year

I suppose so, but I don’t think he’d be doing himself any favors or increasing his FV by doing so. 

27 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

And you called me naive for thinking Crochet had a good chance not to be traded because you thought Nightengale was right.

The chances always were always slim Crochet would be traded . You didn't need to be an insider to know that. It was going to be a tall task given the ask and his availability being limited for the rest of the season and the playoffs.

Wow, so when you initially said that chances were slim that Crochet would be traded, you also knew that this Crochet news would leak today that he is demanding an extension to pitch into the postseason from the team that acquires him?

Cuz that will be the reason he isn’t traded.  This news is what changed things, not your thoughts from a couple weeks ago.

I still think he is gone.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

Just seeing what transpired today, I wonder if the Dodgers were close to a deal and told him the plan was to have him close the rest of the season

Eh we haven't heard from Crochet of his agent that Crochet won't pitch in the postseason if handled the way he wants to be handled.

The Dodgers don't need him to be a closer to win their division most likely.

But I do think they could use him as an opener , keep him on his SP schedule and see if that's enough rest for him to use him as a SP who can go at least 5 strong innings as a 2 or 3 in the playoffs without an extension.

It's a longshot but it all depends on the way his arm feels. He' d have to be more than an opener his last couple starts of the regular season and see how it goes.

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

I suppose so, but I don’t think he’d be doing himself any favors or increasing his FV by doing so. 

I don’t see how him sitting out rest of year would hurt his value going forward, to be honest. He’s thrown so much this year compared to the rest of his pitching life, I think most teams would give him the benefit of the doubt.