Crochet wants an extension to pitch in the playoffs

Just now, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Eh we haven't heard from Crochet of his agent that Crochet won't pitch in the postseason if handled the way he wants to be handled.

The Dodgers don't need him to be a closer to win their division most likely.

But I do think they could use him as an opener , keep him on his SP schedule and see if that's enough rest for him to use him as a SP who can go at least 5 strong innings as a 2 or 3 in the playoffs without an extension.

It's a longshot but it all depends on the way his arm feels. He' d have to be more than an opener his last couple starts of the regular season and see how it goes.

They need a closer for the postseason though.  They had Honeywell close today!

42 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

So Crochet refuses to do anything but start, but also wants to be paid more if you want him to start?

Sounds like a solid way to kill your trade value. His agent is dumb. The message should be “Garett will do anything you want, just please god get him away from the White Sox organization.”

I doubt he cares about his trade value if he's not getting paid. The White Sox of course can pay him. They won't do that but that's no different to him than trading to a team that also won't pay him

8 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

If it blew up an underwhelming LAD deal, so be it. I will again ask the question what exactly Crochet can do if an acquiring club puts in the pen? 

I'm not assuming all these reports are 100% accurate.

However if he thinks his health depends on maintaining his SP schedule maybe he could file a grievance that the team is jeopardizing his health .
Are you saying Crochet shouldn't be allowed a voice in how he's used if he thinks he's being put in an unhealthy situation ?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I'm not assuming all these reports are 100% accurate.

However if he thinks his health depends on maintaining his SP schedule maybe he could file a grievance that the team is jeopardizing his health .
Are you saying Crochet shouldn't be allowed a voice in how he's used if he thinks he's being put in an unhealthy situation ?

Wasn’t it more than Heyman reporting this?

1 minute ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Very well could be others piggybacking the Heyman report. Look, I don’t doubt Crochet has those feelings. I just don’t think they really matter too much. 

1 minute ago, fathom said:

Wasn’t it more than Heyman reporting this?

I think I read Heymans account was verified by league sources whatever that means but outside of him saying he'll refuse to pitch in the postseason unless given an extension I don't know how true that would be. To me it's been known for a long time he does not want to pitch in relief so that's not new and could be the part that's been verified.

Big media like in NY probably has guys who put out info just for the purpose of manipulating the market to put favorable teams in more advantageous positions. I don't believe much of what insiders put out there , especially Heyman.

1 minute ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I think I read Heymans account was verified by league sources whatever that means but outside of him saying he'll refuse to pitch in the postseason unless given an extension I don't know how true that would be. To me it's been known for a long time he does not want to pitch in relief so that's not new and could be the part that's been verified.

Big media like in NY probably has guys who put out info just for the purpose of manipulating the market to put favorable teams in more advantageous positions. I don't believe much of what insiders put out there , especially Heyman.

Has any pitcher EVER been ramped up to 130 IP in this unprecedented situation and with this career workload? 

140?  150?   160? 

He gets injured... there will be a grievance against the acquiring team and MLB for forcing him to pitch when he's not feeling 100%. 

Moncada has gotten away with stealing $29 million this year.   Who can prove or disprove how healthy he is or feels? 

Ben Simmons anyone?  Markelle Fultz? 

4 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

That says "desires" .That a big difference from saying he won't pitch without an extension.

It will be interesting to see if Crochet confirms it one way or another, but I doubt any of our garbage local reporters will be bright enough to ask him this question.

4 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

That says "desires" .That a big difference from saying he won't pitch without an extension.

Then proposed contract should be $30 million if he hits all his reasonable incentive targets over the next four years and $150-175 million if he's a Cy Young-caliber pitcher. 

3 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Has any pitcher EVER been ramped up to 130 IP in this unprecedented situation and with this career workload? 

140?  150?   160? 

He gets injured... there will be a grievance against the acquiring team and MLB for forcing him to pitch when he's not feeling 100%. 

Moncada has gotten away with stealing $29 million this year.   Who can prove or disprove how healthy he is or feels? 

Ben Simmons anyone?  Markelle Fultz? 

I think if he refuses to pitch in the playoffs if anyone has a grievance to file it's the team.

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

Then proposed contract should be $30 million if he hits all his reasonable incentive targets over the next four years and $150-175 million if he's a Cy Young-caliber pitcher. 

I'm not getting into what an extension would look like.

We're a long way from finding out the truth.

1st Crochet has to be traded by the deadline.

2nd we have to see how he's handled by his new team.

3rd he has to be still pitching if the team that acquired him makes the playoffs.

If he makes it that far then it gets more interesting.

11 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

It will be interesting to see if Crochet confirms it one way or another, but I doubt any of our garbage local reporters will be bright enough to ask him this question.

Crochet would just say he leaves that up to his agent and reiterate what he's already said. He wants or prefers to stay on his SP routine.

They could ask if you are traded and you stay healthy enough to pitch in the playoffs would you do it without an extension?

But I'd expect him to say Yes I want to win a ring. Or maybe we'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

This is all new information to us but I highly doubt it is new information for the other teams.  I'm sure they have had conversations about his availability, innings limits, and what he is comfortable with.  

If we all knew he wanted to stay on a starter's schedule, Cashman and Friedman did too.  He has been in trade rumors for months.  It's unlikely Crochet and his agent all of a sudden decided to tell everyone they want an extension on July 25.

To me, it sounds like the type of news report you get right before he is dealt.  

If he isn't traded this week, that's fine.  Be careful with him the rest of the season and trade him in the offseason if you don't want to extend him.  Not a huge difference if he gets traded July 30 or December 15.  

1 hour ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Sounds like he wants to stay a starter but is using the fact that the postseason would throw him over an innings limit to force an extension from any team that wants to trade for him.  Obviously, this isn’t going to increase his value.  If true, it can only hurt it.

Wanting to stay a starter is extremely reasonable

Being on an inning limit given his career thus far is also reasonable 

Saying you can’t pitch into the postseason…unless you pay me…is not reasonable. Either it’s a big risk and he shouldn’t do it or it’s not. Attaching a $ amount to that risk is dumb and would for sure turn me off if I was a GM thinking about giving up a haul of prospects for Crochet.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

When the season started? What????

I break the season into the start, the middle, and the end. I thought April/May looked really good. By the end of May I thought he'd bring a lot more than what it looks like now. 

On 7/11/2024 at 11:22 AM, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Still disappointed by Thorpe as the Cease headliner even though he may outpitch Cease as a rookie this season?

I give credit where it's due. Nice job there, Mr. Getz. It does help a lot ease the sting.

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Quick hits ...

-- Crochet being a two-inning 'opener' for a contending team is stupid IMO. Say what you want, pitching him two innings is not smart or productive. There's a lot of ballgame left after six batters.

-- Shame on a contender if they move him to late relief down the stretch or in the playoffs/series. Just when he gets used to being a starter he doesn't need that stress of late innings late in a season in which his injuries are limited. And I'm saying this as a guy who despises the baby-ing of pitchers in the sabes era.

Moral of story: Keep him in Chicago, keep him as a starter and have him be, you know, a fan favorite for a decade. Oh I forgot we can't keep stars in Chicago, too cheap. Such a big city with such a terrible front office/owner. Sell the team, JR.