Crochet wants an extension to pitch in the playoffs

PROPOSALS:   Dodgers make two massive trades for Crochet and Robert, Jr., Fedde to Brewers and Max Scherzer to the Orioles

Arozarena to ROYALS

6 deals we want to see at the MLB trade deadline: Where might Garrett Crochet, Randy Arozarena and others be headed? - Yahoo Sports

Dodgers acquire LHP Garrett Crochet from the White Sox for C/1B Dalton Rushing, SS Trey Sweeney and RHP River Ryan

Dodgers acquire OF Luis Robert Jr. from the White Sox for OF Josue De Paula, INF Alex Freeland, RHP Ben Casparius and LHP Ronan Kopp

Brewers acquire RHP Erick Fedde from the White Sox for 3B Luke Adams and RHP Bishop Letson

NINE NEW PLAYERS FOR STRUGGLING SOX FARM SYSTEM!!!

43 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

And MLB can respond by blackballing him. We've already seen MLB collude on Boras clients and Bauer over the last couple years. I wouldn't be surprised if the owners used Crochet as an example. He's playing a dangerous game.

So your saying that the owners will blackball a pitcher who the team has overused and worn out to the point that he can't pitch anymore?

Don't think that would happen. Pitchers have to take breaks all year long when their arms are fatigued. Relievers do it all the time. You'll hear the mangers say that they aren't available on certain days after pitching too much.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ptatc said:

But why else would he demand an extention only for the playoffs?

I thought you understood by now that I don't trust that report . It's not like it came directly from Crochet in a televised or even a written interview quoting him or his agent. Heyman said that's what Crochet told him at the All Star break. He could have misunderstood his meaning. You d think there would followup questions to explore beyond that. It doesn't sound like something you say casually. I need more context.

3 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I thought you understood by now that I don't trust that report . It's not like it came directly from Crochet in a televised or even a written interview quoting him or his agent. Heyman said that's what Crochet told him at the All Star break. He could have misunderstood his meaning. You d think there would followup questions to explore beyond that. It doesn't sound like something you say casually. I need more context.

I know you dint trust it. However if it is true there really isn't another reason that I can think of.

If it's not true then he should be traded pretty soon and we'll know the answer. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ptatc said:

So your saying that the owners will blackball a pitcher who the team has overused and worn out to the point that he can't pitch anymore?

Don't think that would happen. Pitchers have to take breaks all year long when their arms are fatigued. Relievers do it all the time. You'll hear the mangers say that they aren't available on certain days after pitching too much.

If the pitcher announces that he won't pitch past a certain point if traded, MLB will murder him. This isn't hypothetical. Crochet's team is laying a sign and trade ultimatum. This isn't the NBA. MLB will crush him.

1 minute ago, ptatc said:

I know you dint trust it. However if it is true there really isn't another reason that I can think of.

If it's not true then he should be traded pretty soon and we'll know the answer. 

If it’s not true, you think someone would have gotten ahold of him asked him by now.

1 hour ago, TaylorStSox said:

The team employs the physicians, not the player.

There are many many Doctors out there who would say he is already beyond the point of reasonable risk factors given his current and previous workloads and that continuing to pitch is likely to result in injury that not only threatens the remaining 2024 season but his whole career.

I don't think Crochet should be forced to pitch to injury, but if he actually tries to use an extension to leverage his trade value, he's done. MLB is bigger than Garrett Crochet. The league will destroy him before they give that much leverage to players.

3 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

There are many many Doctors out there who would say he is already beyond the point of reasonable risk factors given his current and previous workloads and that continuing to pitch is likely to result in injury that not only threatens the remaining 2024 season but his whole career.

And his employer's won't give a s%*# about his independent doctor's opinion. This is about about MLB owners relinquishing leverage. Crochet isn't that powerful.

Edited by TaylorStSox

6 minutes ago, ptatc said:

But a team still has to meet the asking price. And if he is traded will you think he had worked out an extension already ?

2 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

And his employer's won't give a s%*# about his independent doctor's opinion. This is about about MLB owners relinquishing leverage. Crochet isn't that powerful.

Yeah like I said earlier, guy has half a season of success and health. Pump the brakes haha

Edited by Bob Sacamano

Just now, TaylorStSox said:

And his employer's won't give a s%*# about his independent doctor's opinion. This about about MLB owner relinquishing leverage. Crochet isn't that powerful.

Guess we'll have to agree to disagree. He isn't a slave to what any team Doctors says . He's entitled to get 2nd opinions.

I think you're way out on a limb here. That scenario isn't going to happen . It's all conspiracy hypotheticals dealing with player health .No team physicians is going to say Crochet is not at risk due to his current and previous workload. It's so painfully obvious he's at high risk already and inuncharted waters of  endurance.

• Like 1

Let's remember that 4 months ago crochet was an afterthought with zero value. The White Sox gave him every opportunity to improve his own earning potential. For him to sabotage the organization is backhanded af. f*** him.

• Like 3
  • Hawk 1

6 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

I'm generally very much pro worker, but f*** Garrett Crochet for doing this. It's insulting to every pitcher who came before him.

Well, it definitely shows he cares more about money than winning, which is probably the majority of players.  He may have sabotaged his chance of pitching for a contender.

17 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

If the pitcher announces that he won't pitch past a certain point if traded, MLB will murder him. This isn't hypothetical. Crochet's team is laying a sign and trade ultimatum. This isn't the NBA. MLB will crush him.

I disagree.  Everyone knows the white sox are currently pushing him past all accepted limits. This is probably why he won't get traded as well regardless of the contract demands.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ptatc said:

I disagree.  Everyone knows the white sox are currently pushing him past all accepted limits. This is probably why he won't get traded as well regardless of the contract demands.

The Sox certainly aren't pushing him. They're limiting his innings and gave him the opportunity to start when most organizations would have kept him in the pen. This is bullshit, man.

Edited by TaylorStSox

13 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

Yes, they do. As soon as they go against any physician opinion they are open to malpractice lawsuits. It's not common in MLB but it happens in the NFL all the time. I've been deposed a few times on both sides of these lawsuits.

2 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

The Sox certainly aren't pushing him. They're limiting his innings and gave him the opportunity to start when most organizations would have kept him in the pen. This is bullshit, man.

There have been several reports of interested teams for weeks.  Are those teams not aware of Crochet’s innings issues?  I think the extension demand from today is more impactful on if he gets traded or not.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

3 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

Let's remember that 4 months ago crochet was an afterthought with zero value. The White Sox gave him every opportunity to improve his own earning potential. For him to sabotage the organization is backhanded af. f*** him.

To be fair, the Sox sabotaged him for years by rushing him to the majors and stuffing him in the pen while never coming up with a plan to start him again.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

PROPOSALS:   Dodgers make two massive trades for Crochet and Robert, Jr., Fedde to Brewers and Max Scherzer to the Orioles

Arozarena to ROYALS

6 deals we want to see at the MLB trade deadline: Where might Garrett Crochet, Randy Arozarena and others be headed? - Yahoo Sports

Dodgers acquire LHP Garrett Crochet from the White Sox for C/1B Dalton Rushing, SS Trey Sweeney and RHP River Ryan

Dodgers acquire OF Luis Robert Jr. from the White Sox for OF Josue De Paula, INF Alex Freeland, RHP Ben Casparius and LHP Ronan Kopp

Brewers acquire RHP Erick Fedde from the White Sox for 3B Luke Adams and RHP Bishop Letson

NINE NEW PLAYERS FOR STRUGGLING SOX FARM SYSTEM!!!

If the Sox make trades, would a few of you be so kind to first discuss the trade(s) in general terms for those of us who don't follow the minor leagues? Tell us where a guy was taken in the draft, what the consensus is on the guy's future in the bigs and also what u think of his ability. Please please please do this for us non trade-niks. Thanx in advance, greg.

1 minute ago, TaylorStSox said:

You're wrong. There has never been a scenario like this where someone is going to double their CAREER  innings in a single season in the modern MLB.

• Like 1