Crochet wants an extension to pitch in the playoffs

1 minute ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

There have been several reports of interested teams for weeks.  Were those teams not aware of Crochet’s innings issues?  I think the extension demand from today is more impactful.

Duh

1 minute ago, ptatc said:

You're wrong. There has never been a scenario like this where someone is going to double their CAREER  innings in a single season in the modern MLB.

There's never been a scenario where an MLB team turned a reliever into a starter and doubled his innings? Wtf? Of course it affects his "career" innings. He was drafted 3 years ago.

Just now, TaylorStSox said:

There's never been a scenario where an MLB team turned a reliever into a starter and doubled his innings? Wtf? Of course it affects his "career" innings. He was drafted 3 years ago.

And he hardly pitched in thise years comparatively because of injury.

Well just leave it at we'll see and I'll based mine on research and data bases and you base yours on your experience with working with MLB pitchers and medical staffs.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

To be fair, the Sox sabotaged him for years by rushing him to the majors and stuffing him in the pen while never coming up with a plan to start him again.

They didn't rush him. They gave him the opportunity to enter the majors early and then turned him into a front of the rotation starter.

Yeah Jerry sucks, but using every Sox move as an opportunity to disparage every member of the Sox is so fucking tired. The Sox actually have tons of competent people working under a shitting owner. Don't devalue them. f*** that.

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, ptatc said:

Would make for an interesting lawsuit. Since it sounds like Crochet is pushing to keep starting, he would be hurting his own case. The extention of the season and workload is the wildcard.

If Rodon. had a major injury in late 2021 and never made another big league start, would the Sox have even  a prayer of winning that grievance? 

1 minute ago, TaylorStSox said:

They didn't rush him. They gave him the opportunity to enter the majors early and then turned him into a front of the rotation starter.

Yeah Jerry sucks, but using every Sox move as an opportunity to disparage every member of the Sox is so fucking tired. The Sox actually have tons of competent people working under a shitting owner. Don't devalue them. f*** that.

You're realize ur defending the worst franchise in baseball (at best bottom 4) that gave no iutsiders a chance and promised Chris Getz would hit the ground running and shave one year off the forthcoming non rebuild but retooling rebuild? 

5 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

Crochet wants to get paid and the Sox are in the perfect position to pay him. f*** Jerry indeed until they do that.

4 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

If Rodon. had a major injury in late 2021 and never made another big league start, would the Sox have even  a prayer of winning that grievance? 

This makes no sense. Rodon had years of pitching prior to that with a good base and progression of innings.

Crochet has none of that including college which rodon also had.

5 minutes ago, ptatc said:

This makes no sense. Rodon had years of pitching prior to that with a good base and progression of innings.

Crochet has none of that including college which rodon also had.

How many 150 plus inning seasons? 

Just one. 

Look at 2017-2020. 

The Sox in that one 2021 season battered him as much as the NC State coach overused him his last two seasons before his draft year. 

Edited by caulfield12

12 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

Let's remember that 4 months ago crochet was an afterthought with zero value. The White Sox gave him every opportunity to improve his own earning potential. For him to sabotage the organization is backhanded af. f*** him.

Or you and many others believe that this report is some kind of power play by Crochet when it may not be.

I'm giving Crochet the benefit of the doubt. How could he possibly believe he can pitch in the post season if he doesn't even know if he can keep pitching . He can't be that unaware of how things usually work coming back from major arm surgery without a previous workload to support so many innings.It makes no sense whatsoever. It's one thing to believe in yourself and crazy to think you will be the one exception to the limits of human endurance.

16 minutes ago, ptatc said:

I disagree.  Everyone knows the white sox are currently pushing him past all accepted limits. This is probably why he won't get traded as well regardless of the contract demands.

Let’s assume this is true that everyone knows the Sox are pushing Crochet past accepted limits, and therefore all trade offers are extremely light. 

I’m curious what everyone here would do if you were Getz? Keep him and try to trade him during the offseason? If that becomes the plan, won’t teams still be nervous about acquiring him because of how much he was pushed this year?

Just now, SoxBlanco said:

Let’s assume this is true that everyone knows the Sox are pushing Crochet past accepted limits, and therefore all trade offers are extremely light. 

I’m curious what everyone here would do if you were Getz? Keep him and try to trade him during the offseason? If that becomes the plan, won’t teams still be nervous about acquiring him because of how much he was pushed this year?

Well, first I would look to extend him, but we all know who the Sox owner is.  Otherwise, I look to trade him at this deadline first and in the offseason second.  You can’t take the chance that he either gets injured or doesn’t repeat what he is doing now next season.  Ideally, you trade him at this deadline to avoid any potential injury altogether.

8 minutes ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

Crochet wants to get paid and the Sox are in the perfect position to pay him. f*** Jerry indeed until they do that.

Any franchise would be absolute fools to pay him huge money after 2 months of production. The Sox would be even bigger fools to do it while starting a rebuild. Crochet is lightning in a bottle. Get the value while you can. 

6 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

How many 150 plus inning seasons? 

Just one. 

Look at 2017-2020. 

The Sox in that one 2021 season battered him as much as the NC State coach overused him his last two seasons before his draft year. 

He doesn't need 150, just a reasonable base and progression. He was over 100 a few times.

• Like 1

Just now, TaylorStSox said:

Any franchise would be absolute fools to pay him huge money after 2 months of production. The Sox would be even bigger fools to do it while starting a rebuild. Crochet is lightning in a bottle. Get the value while you can. 

This I agree with. Not sure about lighting in a bottle but with his history, it would be hard to give him a huge payday.

Edited by ptatc

10 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

nobody in this whole thread is supporting you if haven't noticed...as of yet

but there are good posters on both sides! 

Luckily I don't post my thought for validation. Love the site; don't give a s%*# if people agree with me.

• Thanks 1

Just now, WhiteSox2023 said:

https://www.thebaseballcube.com/content/player/165585/

2012 (NC State):  114.2 IP

2013 (NC State):  132.1 IP

2014 (NC State):  98.2 IP

okay.  misremembered his second year workload really led to tha disappointing third year and Aiken, even Kolek passing him. 

Some even coveted Trea Turner his Wolfpack teammate more.  And that was the right call in the end. 

9 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Well, first I would look to extend him, but we all know who the Sox owner is.  Otherwise, I look to trade him at this deadline first and in the offseason second.  You can’t take the chance that he either gets injured or doesn’t repeat what he is doing now next season.  Ideally, you trade him at this deadline to avoid any potential injury altogether.

But if you’re worried about him getting injured, then why would you look to extend him?

I think we should just commend the Sox for turning Crochet into great trade value. f*** Jerry, but kudos to the organization for turning the 11th pick into the most valuable trade piece in 2024.

Edited by TaylorStSox

1 minute ago, SoxBlanco said:

But if you’re worried about him getting injured, then why would you look to extend him?

I’m more worried about him getting injured this time because they are working him so hard, not necessarily due to his previous injuries.  If they extended him right now, they should effectively end his season early.