Crochet wants an extension to pitch in the playoffs

The more I think about this, the more I don't even understand how it would work.  He tells them "give me $X and I'll pitch in the postseason." They give him $X.  Then postseason comes around... what if he's sore? They just extended him because he intended to pitch in October as of July 31?

I feel like this story doesn't make a ton of sense.  

• Like 1

You can definitely argue that they did him a favor by getting him service time earlier.

But I think most of us would have preferred to not see him in 2020, start in the minors in 2021/2022 with maybe a call up late 22 (also all injury/health dependent).

Edited by Bob Sacamano
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, ptatc said:

This I agree with. Not sure about lighting in a bottle but with his history, it would be hard to give him a huge payday.

So if you wouldn’t extend him, and you know all other teams know the Sox are pushing him past accepted limits, making all offers too light, then what would you do if you were Getz?

2 minutes ago, Nardiwashere said:

The more I think about this, the more I don't even understand how it would work.  He tells them "give me $X and I'll pitch in the postseason." They give him $X.  Then postseason comes around... what if he's sore? They just extended him because he intended to pitch in October as of July 31?

Yeah, it seems like if you’re guaranteeing him money to pitch in the postseason this year, he better taking some sort of discount to get those guaranteed dollars.

2 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

I’m more worried about him getting injured this time because they are working him so hard, not necessarily due to his previous injuries.  If they extended him right now, they should effectively end his season early.

I’d be curious what @ptatc thinks the chances of a future injury would be if they shut down Crochet for the season after this weekend. 

18 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

Any franchise would be absolute fools to pay him huge money after 2 months of production. The Sox would be even bigger fools to do it while starting a rebuild. Crochet is lightning in a bottle. Get the value while you can. 

This I can agree with even if it's been 3+ months, April May June and part of July. I said many times to those saying extend him that it would be fiscally irresponsible given his track record. It easily could turn into an albatross contract . I've repeated it so much that people eventually started agreeing that you should trade him while you can . I've seen one poster advocating for his extension in the  $90M range now changng his tune and saying the complete opposite. Typical follow the popular opinion take as long as others have your back and don't call you out about your sudden about face.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

2 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

This I can agree with even if it's been 3+ months, April May June and part of July. I said many times to those saying extend him that it would be fiscally irresponsible given his track record. It easily could turn into an albatross contract . I've repeated it so much that people eventually started agreeing that you should trade him while you can . I've seen one poster advocating for his extension in the  $90M range now saying now change his tune and saying the complete opposite. Typical follow the popular opinion take as long as others have your back and don't call you out about your sudden about face.

Many posters have been skeptical about extending him for high dollars. You were never alone. There’s a literally a thread about it. Team friendly deal or trade has always been it for me personally.

Edited by Bob Sacamano
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

This I can agree with even if it's been 3+ months, April May June and part of July. I said many times to those saying extend him that it would be fiscally irresponsible given his track record. It easily could turn into an albatross contract . I've repeated it so much that people eventually started agreeing that you should trade him while you can . I've seen one poster advocating for his extension in the  $90M range now saying now change his tune and saying the complete opposite. Typical follow the popular opinion take as long as others have your back and don't call you out about your sudden about face.

What if all trade offers are extremely light because nobody wants to take the injury risk? Would you still trade him while you can?

I know I sound like a broken record with the questions I’m asking in my last few posts, but I’m genuinely curious what others would do if they were in charge. If you get a good offer, you obviously take it. But let’s assume all offers are way too light. There doesn’t seem to be a good option. Extending him seems to be too risky, and waiting until the offseason might not help because teams could still be nervous about a future injury. I’m guessing at that point, teams would rather wait until the 2025 deadline to see how his arm holds up during the first half of next year. 

16 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

You can definitely argue that they did him a favor by getting him service time earlier.

But I think most of us would have preferred to not see him in 2020, start in the minors in 2021/2022 with maybe a call up late 22 (also all injury/health dependent).

That's been my argument. Given the choice to start pitching in the majors right away an help the team he took it.

Even if he had done everything some fans wanted the odds were he would've got hurt any way. He was a different guy physically then.

He's much bigger and stronger than he was back then but that still doesn't mean he's immune from injury if he keeps pitching . He may be a unicorn for what he done already physically this season but he not Superman.

17 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Many posters have been skeptical about extending him for high dollars. You were never alone. There’s a literally a thread about it. Team friendly deal or trade has always been it for me personally.

Maybe I'm paranoid but the extension at high dollars guys seemed a lot louder that I was crazy ?and that $20M per year was a pittance. Buy out his Arb years and extend him another 2-3 years.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

What if all trade offers are extremely light because nobody wants to take the injury risk? Would you still trade him while you can?

I know I sound like a broken record with the questions I’m asking in my last few posts, but I’m genuinely curious what others would do if they were in charge. If you get a good offer, you obviously take it. But let’s assume all offers are way too light. There doesn’t seem to be a good option. Extending him seems to be too risky, and waiting until the offseason might not help because teams could still be nervous about a future injury. I’m guessing at that point, teams would rather wait until the 2025 deadline to see how his arm holds up during the first half of next year. 

I think you're right. Unfortunately he has red flags.Teams may want to see if he can once again be dominant in 2025 and see if he can bounce back. That will diminish a lot of concerns and 2 seasons of post season without restrictions shouldn't diminish his worth that much.

Sox could try again to extend him but that still depends on how they limit him in the 2nd half. Some think he's already losing some FB velocity his last 3 starts. It's hearsay at this point. I haven't seen any pitch graphics to substantiate it yet.

Anything can happen including a trade at the upcoming deadline.

43 minutes ago, Nardiwashere said:

It doesn't make sense at all but I'm not particularly shocked that so many actually think Crochet is sabotaging the Sox and pulling some kind of power play.

Heymans always been a Yankees shill. Keep him off the market to potentially kill any chance of pitching against you is good strategy especially if you can turn Sox fans against Crochet because right now they believe everything bad about the Sox . Get the common man across the nation to rise up and say who the f*** does Crochet think he is . Sure Heyman also said hey I don't blame Crochet for making a demand like that. Gee thanks Jon the damage is already done. Hey Garrett Jon Heyman is on your side while effectively hoping to destroy your tradability.

29 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

It doesn't make sense at all but I'm not particularly shocked that so many actually think Crochet is sabotaging the Sox and pulling some kind of power play.

Heymans always been a Yankees shill. Keep him off the market to potentially kill any chance of pitching against you is good strategy especially if you can turn Sox fans against Crochet because right now they believe everything bad about the Sox . Get the common man across the nation to rise up and say who the f*** does Crochet think he is . Sure Heyman also said hey I don't blame Crochet for making a demand like that. Gee thanks Jon the damage is already done. Hey Garrett Jon Heyman is on your side while effectively hoping to destroy your tradability.

Others have confirmed it’s true, including Russell Dorsey.

59 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Nice conspiracy theory, but the Sox don’t need any help from Heyman for fans to be upset.  The owner sucks, he gifted the GM job to an unworthy candidate without interviewing anyone else from outside the organization, and they are in the middle of their worst season ever.  But yeah, Heyman is the evil supervillain making up news about Crochet and making the Sox look bad.  Wow…

Is it really a surprise that an MLB player in the middle of a great season is trying to guarantee himself money?  He is obviously not entirely confident in his ability to stay healthy, especially if he is overextended on innings.  Why is it such a shocker that an MLB player, likely with an ego like most and with previous injury history, wants to guarantee himself money considering his biggest payday was a ~$4.5 million dollar signing bonus from when he was first drafted?

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I think you're right. Unfortunately he has red flags.Teams may want to see if he can once again be dominant in 2025 and see if he can bounce back. That will diminish a lot of concerns and 2 seasons of post season without restrictions shouldn't diminish his worth that much.

Sox could try again to extend him but that still depends on how they limit him in the 2nd half. Some think he's already losing some FB velocity his last 3 starts. It's hearsay at this point. I haven't seen any pitch graphics to substantiate it yet.

Anything can happen including a trade at the upcoming deadline.

So this would apply to Fedde then as well?

6 hours ago, SoxBlanco said:

I’d be curious what @ptatc thinks the chances of a future injury would be if they shut down Crochet for the season after this weekend. 

It wouldn't be good for his arm to just stop throwing.  For next year's health he would need to keep up a regular throwing program similar to a rehab program but at a significantly decreased intensity compared to games. This would fall in line with Bannister's deloading philosophy. 

However it looks like they are going to keep pitching him in games all year, if they keep him. 

6 hours ago, SoxBlanco said:

So if you wouldn’t extend him, and you know all other teams know the Sox are pushing him past accepted limits, making all offers too light, then what would you do if you were Getz?

You stop pitching in games. Do the off season  throwing program and trade him in the offseason. He'll be valuable for next season when he can pitch a full season without limitation. There is a strong possibility he'll have some issues but it's not a given considering how he's handled this year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

So this would apply to Fedde then as well?

Why would it ? Fedde has innings under his belt and should be able to pitch in the post season. I don't know what else Fedde can do at this point to be considered any more valuable. He's getting out the best hitters in the world . This isn't some kind of trick.

• Like 2

Would Crochet take security from the Sox, let's say next 4 years $60 million? 

The thought of Crochet, Smith , Schultz, Thorpe , Cannon , and a group of young strong arm starters converted to the pen is appealing. 

I know, I know they don't have the positional players and bats , work on it.

3 minutes ago, Falstaff said:

Would Crochet take security from the Sox, let's say next 4 years $60 million? 

The thought of Crochet, Smith , Schultz, Thorpe , Cannon , and a group of young strong arm starters converted to the pen is appealing. 

I know, I know they don't have the positional players and bats , work on it.

He might but right now we have no idea if the Sox would ever make an offer like that.More likely they wouldn't given JRs history on pitching contracts and his recent behavior regarding the Sox.

The whole issue is a mystery .

• Paper Bag 1

3 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

He might but right now we have no idea if the Sox would ever make an offer like that.More likely they wouldn't given JRs history on pitching contracts and his recent behavior regarding the Sox.

The whole issue is a mystery .

JR is problematic

6 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Nice conspiracy theory, but the Sox don’t need any help from Heyman for fans to be upset.  The owner sucks, he gifted the GM job to an unworthy candidate without interviewing anyone else from outside the organization, and they are in the middle of their worst season ever.  But yeah, Heyman is the evil supervillain making up news about Crochet and making the Sox look bad.  Wow…

Is it really a surprise that an MLB player in the middle of a great season is trying to guarantee himself money?  He is obviously not entirely confident in his ability to stay healthy, especially if he is overextended on innings.  Why is it such a shocker that an MLB player, likely with an ego like most and with previous injury history, wants to guarantee himself money considering his biggest payday was a ~$4.5 million dollar signing bonus from when he was first drafted?

Tell me this then. Heyman said he talked to Crochet at the All Star break. If he had that info why did he not report it nearly a week ago. Why hold onto the info till yesterday ?

Crochet being hard to move was no mystery to me because of the likelihood of not being able to pitch in the post season plus the high price.

It's not like all the other GMs couldn't figure that out too.

I don't know why it's suddenly dawned on posters here that's it's as true now as it's ever been.

6 hours ago, fathom said:

Others have confirmed it’s true, including Russell Dorsey.

That doesn't make it make any more sense. He likely wouldnt have been able to pitch in the postseason anyway. Every GM out there knew what we all knew that Crochet's chances of pitching in the post season  99% not happening. Getting an extension wouldn't improve the health of his arm. There's something off about this whole thing.

• Like 1