Crochet wants an extension to pitch in the playoffs

So in the quote where it says that he wants "a starters workload over pitching out of the bullpen," does that mean prepping as a starter and starting for an inning or two is fine or he wants to go 5+ innings (or deep as possible) into every game? I would think if its the former, then pitching in the playoffs would be no problem right? 

2 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

So Fedde the only valuable piece that will be dealt. Got it.

Remember when Getz was doing interviews and grinning ear-to-ear about all his trade pieces?

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, MiddleCoastBias said:

Jfc. We can't even fire-sale properly.

The baseball gods keep saying, 'Until you get new ownership, we've going to keep shitting on you' it seems. ?

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Quin said:

Remember when Getz was doing interviews and grinning ear-to-ear about all his trade pieces?

Sure, because can you imagine all the weak hitting, “good” defensive A ball players he’s gonna get for Pham and DeJong and Brebbia?

1 minute ago, fathom said:

And Crochet has torpedoed his trade value this offseason now.

How? If he pitches a full load through to the end of the year without issue, he's good to go in the off-season. 

3 minutes ago, Quin said:

Gonna be Fedde and a bunch of guys that will be traded for lottos.

Gotta hit a homer on the Fedde deal. Literally, get some bats.

Edited by Bob Sacamano

3 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

The baseball gods keep saying, 'Until you get new ownership, we've going to keep shitting on you' it seems. ?

Nothing can ever go right for this organization. All signs over the last couple of weeks made it seem like a slam dunk that they would cash in on him this trade deadline.

Edited by Bob Sacamano

1 minute ago, WestEddy said:

How? If he pitches a full load through to the end of the year without issue, he's good to go in the off-season. 

I’m sure teams aren’t exactly fond of his attitude now, and will be agree to pitch 200 innings if possible next year without an extension?  

• Thanks 1

Just now, WhiteSox2023 said:

Only this pathetic team could F things up this bad when they had all the chips to trade and no reason to keep anyone.  Epic failures.  All of them.

I thought they should have been more aggressive a few weeks ago trying to unload some of these guys, but the draft apparently made that difficult.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

I thought they should have been more aggressive a few weeks ago trying to unload some of these guys, but the draft apparently made that difficult.

Need the draft to go back to June. It was better then.

6 minutes ago, fathom said:

Sure, because can you imagine all the weak hitting, “good” defensive A ball players he’s gonna get for Pham and DeJong and Brebbia?

Flectchers R' Us

Sox should be the team that extends Crochet. It is so unfortunate that that isn’t allowed to be on the table. It wouldn’t even have to be for an ungodly amount (5 years 120M maybe gets it done). But we’re not allowed to entertain that because we are the White Sox.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Only this pathetic team could F things up this bad when they had all the chips to trade and no reason to keep anyone.  Epic failures.  All of them.

This one wasn't even the team's fault. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

If they'd given him a reasonable extension they would be on top of the world now. 

Think of all the guys like Gio Anderson Kopech Lopez Burger Vaughn they didn't consider backing. 

Montgomery and Crochet were the only interesting talents left to possibly invest in across the entire organization. 

Why is everyone so shocked. I don't get it. Strasburg did this year(s) ago. I'm not saying he is Strasburg but at some point you need to monitor innings and load. I think the bigger piece here is he is making clear he doesn't want to pitch out of the pen. In his mind (whether he is right or wrong) - he believes pitching out of the pen causes all of his injury issues and he wants to continue pitching on 5 days rest.  

Its unfortunate for the White Sox - and my hope is there is still a team that will pay very high value to get him and can work with him on that plan. The key is - Sox need to kind of get those parameters dialed in enough so he can have that dialogue. It could be starting every 7 days from here on out or some other approach - I don't know. Everything is experimental and that was always the concern all of us had around Crochet.  

The real hope was - teams would look the other way a bit given how cheap he is for the next few years, how thin the overall pitching market is at the deadline, and how elite he has been thus far.  Basically put - hoping the premium for the lack of supply would make up for the other concerns.

If it doesn't happen - than the Sox absolutely need to be careful how they handle him so that they can ideally do right by Crochet and have him in a spot where they can deal him in the off-season.  I still think he gets traded because of the lack of supply -> but this absolutely throws a wrench but I don't blame him for trying to be careful (I do think it is interesting how this came out - and I suspect it is driven by a few high market teams trying to push some leaks that try to remove some of the smaller market teams from the bidding). So I think there are some angles in the equation.  

• Like 2
  • Love 1