Crochet wants an extension to pitch in the playoffs

2 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

At this point just option him and get back a year of service time. Increase that trade value for the offseason move. f*** him.

Honestly, I don’t blame Crochet for feeling the way he does, but the Sox have done everything to make Garrett a rich man and faster than they should have by not optioning him.  And then he goes out to the media and completely fucks us over.  It really sucks because he should have probably opened the season in Charlotte, but alas here we are and now not benefiting after doing him a solid.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Nardiwashere said:

How long would he need to stay down?  They were good to him this year and he fucked them at the end. 

Dude only has 184 MLB innings (111 coming this year), almost 4 years of service time already, and will be a free agent at the age of 27. They've been great to him in my book lol

Edit: if he pitches this great and stays healthy the next couple of months and 2 years, he's looking at a long-term deal with an opt-out or 2.

Edited by Bob Sacamano
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Crochet had to have known this would tank his value.  I am honestly shocked he would do this given that it now means he will be stuck in our Organization longer. Rookie move.

To be fair, the Sox are giving hom this opportunity that I don't know how many organizations would have. I'm still surprised they are still doing it.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Dude only has 184 MLB innings (111 coming this year), almost 4 years of service time, and will be a free agent at the age of 27. They've been great to him in my book lol

Getting hurt while on the active roster accrued a hell of a lot of service time.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Okay...so basically (Danks) Benintendi Moncada and Jimenez made the Sox gunshy to ever offer an early extension again. 

Where is this future core that's locked in? 

Where is the Sox version of Chourio or Colton Keith? 

All that money that could have gone to extensions is going WHERE exactly? 

JR's pocket. 

Now with the Montgomery erosion of value... yet another excuse to never offer an early extension again.  Same  with Vaughn and Torkelson never really peaking.  Madrigal flaming out. 

So an early extension will go to Schultz or Grant Taylor?

No way. 

Thorpe?  What if his command goes south and he can't get it back again? 

Zero position prospects unless Montgomery's back heals. 

That only leaves Quero, essentially.  He's the definition of a complementary player. 

And even Smith has a number of future injury red flags. 

What are you talking about? There's a new GM. There's a new contracts guy. We don't know what their philosophy is on extending the youth. 

But then, the Sox' version of Chourio and Keith is Schultz, Smith, Taylor, Adams, Schweitzer. See, they've been drafting pitchers with their high picks for the last few years. 

Once some position players step up, maybe they'll start talking extensions. Do you want them to extend Korey Lee and Dominic Fletcher for 8/100? They don't have any of those "can't miss" types right now. Maybe Bonemer or Wolkow starts looking like that in a year or so. 

I'm not sure how you come to the conclusion that because they haven't given any extensions to the suck that has been this team for the last couple years, they will never give extensions again. Are you surprised every morning when the sun comes up again?

37 minutes ago, Falstaff said:

Down the road Crochet not getting traded at the trading deadline might turn out to to be the best thing that happened.

When we lose him for nothing in free agency?

• Haha 1
  • Paper Bag 1

30 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Okay...so basically (Danks) Benintendi Moncada and Jimenez made the Sox gunshy to ever offer an early extension again. 

JR's pocket. 

Now with the Montgomery erosion of value... yet another excuse to never offer an early extension again.  Same  with Vaughn and Torkelson never really peaking.  Madrigal flaming out. 

No way. 

That only leaves Quero, essentially.  He's the definition of a complementary player. 

• Haha 3

12 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Honestly, I don’t blame Crochet for feeling the way he does, but the Sox have done everything to make Garrett a rich man and faster than they should have by not optioning him.  And then he goes out to the media and completely fucks us over.  It really sucks because he should have probably opened the season in Charlotte, but alas here we are and now not benefiting after doing him a solid.

Unless he thinks the Sox fucking around with his career in the pen cost him millions in earnings he could have had by starting since 2021

25 minutes ago, fathom said:

It sure as hell seems to have scared off teams, as he went from almost definitely getting traded to very unlikely.

Or that's what teams are telling Bob Nightengale and others. We're 4 days away from the deadline. I'm sure teams weren't thinking, "Hey, we're going to pick up this guy who never pitched more than 50 innings in a season, and who looks on track for 150, and then we're going to wring him out in the post-season, then laugh at him when he's hurt and the biggest payday he'll ever get is $800k". I would bet that everyone considering him has a plan to limit innings, piggyback him, make him an opener for a month, then ramp him back up, use him to get to the playoffs, then use him as a 3-inning bullpen guy one game a series. 

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Unless he thinks the Sox fucking around with his career in the pen cost him millions in earnings he could have had by starting since 2021

If they actually developed him as a starter, he also wouldn't be on track to be a free agent at the age of 27. He won't have a ton of innings on his arm and could be coming off 3 great seasons. He could be in a better position than if it took him a couple years as long as he is healthy.

Edited by Bob Sacamano
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Nardiwashere said:

How long would he need to stay down?  They were good to him this year and he fucked them at the end. 

I could see this stemming from a single contentious conversation about an extension that Getz abruptly cut off, so they're playing their next card. 

47 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

JR's pocket. 

No way. 

Actually I think it started with Britt burns and Richard dotson.

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

It got him a major league paycheck right away, and with his surgery, he would have made nothing. He has more money now than he would have had if the Sox made him a starter on day 1.

20 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Can you be more specific by what you mean?

Those 2 promising pitchers went down really young with significant injuries. Burns had the hip issues that ended his career. Dotson had TOS and needed a surgery to decompress and removed his pec minor and was never the same. This really showed the volatility of pitchers at a time when they were handing out pretty pretty significant contracts to guys like Bannister and Fisk.

9 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

It got him a major league paycheck right away, and with his surgery, he would have made nothing. He has more money now than he would have had if the Sox made him a starter on day 1.

Today?  Maybe, at this point in his career?  No way.  Arb figures are way higher for starters, especially insanely good ones.  His $800k for year 4 is $4-5 million if he was a good starter.  He also might well feel that relieving was the cause of injuries, which also wouldn't help.

7 minutes ago, Nardiwashere said:

Jon Morosi is going on the Score now.  Maybe he'll give us some insight into Getz's thoughts on the Crochet thing.  That's his guy, right?

Please share, but I feel that Morosi just speculates more than most national writers. 

9 minutes ago, Nardiwashere said:

Jon Morosi is going on the Score now.  Maybe he'll give us some insight into Getz's thoughts on the Crochet thing.  That's his guy, right?

I think someone posited that they are both Michigan homies and thus Chris feeds him things.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Today?  Maybe, at this point in his career?  No way.  Arb figures are way higher for starters, especially insanely good ones.  His $800k for year 4 is $4-5 million if he was a good starter.  He also might well feel that relieving was the cause of injuries, which also wouldn't help.

2021 he would have been in the minors. 2022 he was injured, and last season he was available for about 20 innings. He wouldn't be making 4-5 million now, and he would have at least 2 years less service time.

2 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

I think someone posited that they are both Michigan homies and thus Chris feeds him things.

Just like Hahn? He was another Michigan guy.

• Like 1