Crochet wants an extension to pitch in the playoffs

5 minutes ago, spiderman said:

Please share, but I feel that Morosi just speculates more than most national writers. 

Doesn't think Crochet is traded now.  Said he confirmed with someone familiar with Crochet that yesterday's report was accurate. 

Implied Orioles would want more of a swing and miss type than Fedde.  Dodgers want reliability and is more of a fit with Fedde.    

Robert's likelihood to be traded decreased substantially after Mariners/Phillies deals.  Robert track record is "variable"

7 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

2021 he would have been in the minors. 2022 he was injured, and last season he was available for about 20 innings. He wouldn't be making 4-5 million now, and he would have at least 2 years less service time.

He would have been in his 4th season starting from whenever he was starting.  And he could well be thinking that his next contract would have been $400 million instead of $150 million, or whatever pile of s%*# contract the Sox offered him.  It might not have been more today, but it would have been a ton more in the long run done right.

You are also assuming he doesn't think his TJS wasn't because the Sox were relieving him, which I don't believe he does.

Morosi seems pretty confident crochet isnt moving and thinks it could push Skubal to go instead as lone big lefty arm now on market .

Doesn’t seem to think Robert will go moreso now after Phillies and Ms getting their guys 

Seems to think Fedde will get moved 

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

He would have been in his 4th season starting from whenever he was starting.  And he could well be thinking that his next contract would have been $400 million instead of $150 million, or whatever pile of s%*# contract the Sox offered him.  It might not have been more today, but it would have been a ton more in the long run done right.

He also might be in the exact same spot he is right now, except a rookie.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, peanut33tillman said:

Morosi seems pretty confident crochet isnt moving and thinks it could push Skubal to go instead as lone big lefty arm now on market .

Doesn’t seem to think Robert will go moreso now after Phillies and Ms getting their guys 

Seems to think Fedde will get moved 

The only person that seems to think Skubal is on the market is him. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

He also might be in the exact same spot he is right now, except a rookie.

It only matters what he thinks, and he obviously has a major problem with how he has been handled.

• Fire 1

5 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

It only matters what he thinks, and he obviously has a major problem with how he has been handled.

Do we know this? Or is it reading between the lines of his comments on relieving?

• Haha 1

So, Crochet essentially just (potentially) doomed himself to being stuck on the Sox for the remainder of the year, as opposed to actually playing for something meaningful? 

Who the hell is giving this guy advice? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Sox72 said:

So, Crochet essentially just (potentially) doomed himself to being stuck on the Sox for the remainder of the year, as opposed to actually playing for something meaningful? 

Who the hell is giving this guy advice? 

yes.

Whoever said it above - they brought up a real interesting point. If Sox wanted to play hard ball, they really could send him to the minors and start to mess with his arb clock while they manage his arm.  I don't think the PR / benefit of doing it is worth it - cause other clubs and players notice those things, but than again, Sox aren't already a lost cause there.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

Why is everyone so shocked. I don't get it. Strasburg did this year(s) ago. I'm not saying he is Strasburg but at some point you need to monitor innings and load. I think the bigger piece here is he is making clear he doesn't want to pitch out of the pen. In his mind (whether he is right or wrong) - he believes pitching out of the pen causes all of his injury issues and he wants to continue pitching on 5 days rest.  

Its unfortunate for the White Sox - and my hope is there is still a team that will pay very high value to get him and can work with him on that plan. The key is - Sox need to kind of get those parameters dialed in enough so he can have that dialogue. It could be starting every 7 days from here on out or some other approach - I don't know. Everything is experimental and that was always the concern all of us had around Crochet.  

The real hope was - teams would look the other way a bit given how cheap he is for the next few years, how thin the overall pitching market is at the deadline, and how elite he has been thus far.  Basically put - hoping the premium for the lack of supply would make up for the other concerns.

If it doesn't happen - than the Sox absolutely need to be careful how they handle him so that they can ideally do right by Crochet and have him in a spot where they can deal him in the off-season.  I still think he gets traded because of the lack of supply -> but this absolutely throws a wrench but I don't blame him for trying to be careful (I do think it is interesting how this came out - and I suspect it is driven by a few high market teams trying to push some leaks that try to remove some of the smaller market teams from the bidding). So I think there are some angles in the equation.  

This sounds exactly like what I posted .At least I'm not the only one who thinks there's some questionable tactics from high markets teams involved here.

I'm hoping to eventually hear or read a statement from Crochet or the Sox.

Just now, Chisoxfn said:

Whoever said it above - they brought up a real interesting point. If Sox wanted to play hard ball, they really could send him to the minors and start to mess with his arb clock while they manage his arm.  I don't think the PR / benefit of doing it is worth it - cause other clubs and players notice those things, but than again, Sox aren't already a lost cause there.  

The problem is he isn't refusing to do something for the Sox.  He's refusing to do it for other teams.  I don't think you can punish someone for something they can't do with you anyway.  I mean they could try to say there were sending him down for conditioning purposes or something, but it would be one helluva complaint being filed against them.

1 minute ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

This sounds exactly like what I posted .At least I'm not the only one who thinks there's some questionable tactics from high markets teams involved here.

I'm hoping to eventually hear or read a statement from Crochet or the Sox.

It’s been confirmed by a variety of sources.  If it wasn’t true, there definitely would have been something said by now.

The problem is he isn't refusing to do something for the Sox.  He's refusing to do it for other teams.  I don't think you can punish someone for something they can't do with you anyway.  I mean they could try to say there were sending him down for conditioning purposes or something, but it would be one helluva complaint being filed against them.

What do you mean - he said he won't pitch in the playoffs - we are not going to lose another game from here on out....LOL.  I really wonder if Crochet is doing all of this to try and navigate a transaction to a team he wants to go to.  So basically scare off the masses so his agency and him can try and get him to a preferred spot...whatever that is. Maybe he wants to end up on a team like Dodgers or Yankees (or has some other preference) but I could very well see this as a creative strategy to try and make sure he doesn't end up on the Pirates or something.

1 minute ago, Chisoxfn said:

What do you mean - he said he won't pitch in the playoffs - we are not going to lose another game from here on out....LOL.  I really wonder if Crochet is doing all of this to try and navigate a transaction to a team he wants to go to.  So basically scare off the masses so his agency and him can try and get him to a preferred spot...whatever that is. Maybe he wants to end up on a team like Dodgers or Yankees (or has some other preference) but I could very well see this as a creative strategy to try and make sure he doesn't end up on the Pirates or something.

Quite the play for a guy who has pitched very well for 5 months. 

4 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I am 100% this is a combination of frustration over the way he has been handled, but also trying to cash in on his status since the White Sox don't seem to want do pay him.  He might well have a target team, but I think this is mostly trying to pick his destination and make some money in the process.

7 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

"Recently, Garrett expressed concern about his innings, workload, and desire to not move to the bullpen.  To accommodate him, we want to send him to the minors so he can continue to pitch according to the plan that Garrett and his agents have said they want to stick to.  Unfortunately, winning games is the number one priority at the major league level and we want to make sure Garrett feels comfortable with his role."

Then send his ass down to pitch to blocked Orioles prospects in Norfolk.

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

Just now, Nardiwashere said:

"Recently, Garrett expressed concern about his innings, workload, and desire to not move to the bullpen.  To accommodate him, we want to send him to the minors so he can continue to pitch according to the plan that Garrett and his agents have said they want to stick to.  Unfortunately, winning games is the number one priority at the major league level and we want to make sure Garrett feels comfortable with his role."

Then send his ass down to pitch to blocked Orioles prospects in Norfolk.

He's never said he wanted his workload in the regular season altered, only that he didn't want to add to it with the post season if he didn't have insurance for if he was hurt.

He's never said he wanted his workload in the regular season altered, only that he didn't want to add to it with the post season if he didn't have insurance for if he was hurt.

Well he did say - he doesn't want to be used as a reliever or opener or stuff like that. Part of me wonders is part of this him very upset that the Sox used him as an opener in that role.  Its interesting because I Just assumed when Sox had him go short that one game and manage him to 75 that was in conjunction and alignment with Crochet but maybe it hasn't been and this is part of him kind of sending a message.  

2 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Well he did say - he doesn't want to be used as a reliever or opener or stuff like that. Part of me wonders is part of this him very upset that the Sox used him as an opener in that role.  Its interesting because I Just assumed when Sox had him go short that one game and manage him to 75 that was in conjunction and alignment with Crochet but maybe it hasn't been and this is part of him kind of sending a message.  

It's certain that the timing isn't a coincidence.

• Like 1