Crochet wants an extension to pitch in the playoffs

1 hour ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

I am curious though.  The Sox supposedly talked to Crochet about an extension which he quickly rejected.  Did the Sox front office then talk to Crochet openly about their plans as a result of an extension not being possible?  Did they say, hey, we will work hard to move you a contender to help you potentially get a ring and also get paid?  Did they advise him on not discussing his innings limit or making a stupid demand like an extension that would kill his trade value?

At least you're asking questions.

6 hours ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Honestly, as a lot of us wanted, they should have started him in the minors THIS SEASON and eased him into the role. Let him build early/get a year of control back. Now they have this mess.

by far the most incompetent franchise in baseball, even worse than the Angels.  

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Honestly, as a lot of us wanted, they should have started him in the minors THIS SEASON and eased him into the role. Let him build early/get a year of control back. Now they have this mess.

Hard to predict but man those people were right haha

20 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

At least you're asking questions.

Yeah, it’s better than trying to come up with countless excuses for a terrible GM.

Perhaps you will see the light once Getz fails this trade deadline but I am sure you will continue making excuses for him once he does indeed fail it.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

I am curious though.  The Sox supposedly talked to Crochet about an extension which he quickly rejected.  Did the Sox front office then talk to Crochet openly about their plans as a result of an extension not being possible?  Did they say, hey, we will work hard to move you a contender to help you potentially get a ring and also get paid?  Did they advise him on not discussing his innings limit or making a stupid demand like an extension that would kill his trade value?

I thought that was the agents job

13 minutes ago, kitekrazy said:

I thought that was the agents job

The Sox have full control over what happens with Crochet over the next two years, prior to 2027 when he becomes a free agent.  That’s when Crochet gets to demand a contract to his suiting from all MLB teams.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

I still can’t believe Crochet went to the media with this s%*# after what the org has done for this year.  Just what an absolute fucking disaster.  Every start from here on out will be watched the greatest angst until if/when he’s traded.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I still can’t believe Crochet went to the media with this s%*# after what the org has done for this year.  Just what an absolute fucking disaster.  Every start from here on out will be watched the greatest angst until if/when he’s traded.

I hope this results in no team offering a legitimate trade package over the next year or so, Crochet pitching like the best pitcher in baseball and staying healthy, and JR finally realizing it’s time to offer him an extension this time next year.

Yes I know, I can dream. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Bob Sacamano said:

That’s certainly what I wanted and It would have made a ton of sense, but what they did sure worked. Sure this situation sucks, but you’re still sitting on a gold mine this winter if he’s not moved next few days. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

That’s certainly what I wanted and It would have made a ton of sense, but what they did sure worked. Sure this situation sucks, but you’re still sitting on a gold mine this winter if he’s not moved next few days. 

It just sucks because had they started him in Charlotte for a month (which would have been completely readable) they would be able to sell him with three years of control this offseason.  I’m just annoyed he didn’t handle this quietly and had his agency leak this to the press.  Probably wouldn’t have changed the outcome, but this comes off real fucking selfish in my mind even if he has every right to be worried about misuse and his health in general.

17 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

It just sucks because had they started him in Charlotte for a month (which would have been completely readable) they would be able to sell him with three years of control this offseason.  I’m just annoyed he didn’t handle this quietly and had his agency leak this to the press.  Probably wouldn’t have changed the outcome, but this comes off real fucking selfish in my mind even if he has every right to be worried about misuse and his health in general.

I’m with ya. I would have sent him to AAA to ramp up for a month. I said it all winter. But I’m also willing to admit what they did has been a smashing success. For all we know, he gets hurt in AAA and he’s basically toast in our mind at this point. Even if he’s not traded before the deadline, the Sox will cash in on him assuming he stays healthy. And honestly, I’d kid glove the hell out of him if he’s not moved. 

• Like 2

Lol During the player lockout fans complained about team owners screwing players over like that. Greedy owners putting profits over players. Players deserve the money. Their careers are short. 

3 minutes ago, Texsox said:

Lol During the player lockout fans complained about team owners screwing players over like that. Greedy owners putting profits over players. Players deserve the money. Their careers are short. 

Crochet received a $4,547,500 signing bonus when he was drafted and his salary this year is $800,000.  He’s has two good seasons out of his 5 years with the Sox.  You act like the poor guy is broke.

• Like 1

At this point I'm starting to think you'll have a better market for him in the winter. If you're a GM and your job is on the line trading for the next two years doesn't help much when you can probably only run him out for 3 innings on his next start. Just baby the s%*# out of him the rest of the year and start taking bids post world series.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Crochet received a $4,547,500 signing bonus when he was drafted and his salary this year is $800,000.  He’s has two good seasons out of his 5 years with the Sox.  You act like the poor guy is broke.

Even though he can play at the MLB level let's keep him down so the team can keep another year of control. Exactly the kind of moves fans said were wrong during the lockout. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Texsox said:

Even though he can play at the MLB level let's keep him down so the team can keep another year of control. Exactly the kind of moves fans said were wrong during the lockout. 

Who are these fans you speak of?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Compared to his peers he is.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Compared to his peers he is.

He’s still in his rookie contract and isn’t getting paid much in 24 because he’s been hurt for a good chunk of his career to this point. In most orgs, Crochet would have spent significant time in the minors and would be making even less, and potentially 2 extra years away from FA. He really doesn’t have much to b**** about. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

True but the extra year of control would also be nice.

But they also probably didn’t expect him to be in a position where he is one of the best trade chips this season.

Edited by Bob Sacamano
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

He’s still in his rookie contract and isn’t getting paid much in 24 because he’s been hurt for a good chunk of his career to this point. In most orgs, Crochet would have spent significant time in the minors and would be making even less, and potentially 2 extra years away from FA. He really doesn’t have much to b**** about. 

He doesn't.  That doesn't mean with his current performance he is getting paid well compared to other pitchers. It's just the nature of the game.

4 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

I would hate for crochet to “win” this and the MLB turn into NFL with players sitting out the contracts they agreed to and signed

NFL contracts are not guaranteed like MLB. It would be very dumb for baseball players to go that route.