Crochet wants an extension to pitch in the playoffs

21 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I agree with Boob (for once) and have been saying exactly this since this silly news came out. Crochet doesn’t have the ability to dictate this stuff. 

I agree its not an obstacle but not because of what boob said. In fact, nearly every player in the game would understand why he was resting. These guys are professionals and this is their job. Garrett is basically on the league minimum. 

Wouldn’t shock me in the least if Jerry mandates they trade Crochet.  Have heard in the past that one thing the organization hates is letting agents dictate when a player is “hurt”

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Ultimately, this is what it comes down to.

No, I'm waiting to make judgements. The people you were screaming for him to sign were even worse than the ones he did, so I'm confident you have no idea what a competent GM would do. 

• Fire 1

8 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Of course it's not, why wouldn't a team with money be willing to lock up one of the games elite arms?

Good point.  Look no further than Glasnow.  The Dodgers traded for him and immediately extended him, even with his injury history.

18 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

You still won't answer the question. 

And all the "bats" the people were screaming for the Sox to sign - Michael A. Taylor, Adam Duvall, Nick Ahmed, Hunter Renfroe - Pham is better than any of them. 

I await your answer. 

Profar?  Winker? 

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

Just now, caulfield12 said:

Profar?  Winker? 

Winker's a left-fielder. They would have needed to plan on benching, cutting or trading Benintendi or Eloy coming into the season to play him.

And you have knowledge these players were totally open to signing with the White Sox for the same amount they'd sign elsewhere? 

Winker has also played RF in his career and as recently as this year and the Sox have no problem playing guys not exactly in their best defensive positions (see Gavin Sheets).

But the “this guy wouldn’t have agreed to play for the Sox” excuse could be used for anyone.  However, money talks and bullshit walks when it comes to free agency.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

I saw someone mention the Mets for Crochet.  Just saw the news that Senga is done for the year, and that puts them at an interesting in or out decision point.  If IN Crochet makes a ton of sense, and they are usually willing to make a big move, and definitely able to.

9 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I saw someone mention the Mets for Crochet.  Just saw the news that Senga is done for the year, and that puts them at an interesting in or out decision point.  If IN Crochet makes a ton of sense, and they are usually willing to make a big move, and definitely able to.

I would think they have to be IN.  They aren’t catching up to the Phillies but leading the WC with an aggressive owner?

They definitely have the position player prospects to get a trade done.  Their top four rated prospects are all positions players and in MLB’s top 100.

IMG-1240.jpg

Edited by WhiteSox2023

3 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

I’m not the one who thinks some sports writer is actually stealing my thoughts from a Sox message board.  That’s even more ludicrous.  ?

Lol totallymisrepresenting what I said when you can quote  my posts on any subject.

I said Joel Sherman echoed my thoughts on Crochet. That means we came to the same conclusions not that he stole his idea from me. He's a major sportswriter who makes pretty regular appearances on MLB baseball discussions panels who been around baseball for years. He used sound analysis and baseball logic to reach his conclusions just like I did. I just said before he did. It's all right here on Soxtalk.

Now Rosenthal and Nightingale are saying the same thing. Crochet market still active. Still will be hard to trade him like it's always been and the Dodgers were one team I also mentioned the most as the most likely to still have interest in him.

Most of the stuff following Heymans report was negative with one GM reported as saying why would you want him if he can't pitch in the post season which was always pretty unlikely to happen. But some teams could be willing to accept that risk.

Instead of telling hey you were spot on you chose to fabricate the intent of my post.

Anyone can read what Sherman wrote and what I wrote about that article. I even gave the link to it. All my posts on the subject are also easy to find starting with the poll of who we thought would be traded.

Saw an interesting take today speculating that if he would be traded to the Dodgers he wouldn't dare go into a locker room with guys like Otani, Betts, Freeman et al and say "I'm not pitching in October."

If he's traded to a real contender I'm thinking he'll pitch contract extension or not. 

17 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Saw an interesting take today speculating that if he would be traded to the Dodgers he wouldn't dare go into a locker room with guys like Otani, Betts, Freeman et al and say "I'm not pitching in October."

If he's traded to a real contender I'm thinking he'll pitch contract extension or not. 

Depends on what his agents say.

On 7/26/2024 at 11:24 AM, fathom said:

It sure as hell seems to have scared off teams, as he went from almost definitely getting traded to very unlikely.

My my my how things have changed since the Heyman report. It's still looking to me and our esteemed Soxtalk owner that while what Heyman wrote was true may have successfully manipulated the market enough to scare off some GMs. Heyman sat on the info for days. The closer to the deadline you release that info the less time it may give the Sox time to complete a trade with another team and may have effectively lowered offers and delayed things for a day.

Of course now Joel Sherman says hey there's still a market out there for Crochet. Of course Rosenthal and Nightingale followed suit. Even Passan in his initial lengthy report analyzing the impact of the Heyman report said it's caused some damage to the attempts to trade him but still not impossible. However he did not implicate Heyman in any way. Dude just doing his job right ? He just happened to sit on the info for 4 or 5 days.

Crochet trade market effectively manipulated for a day and more than likely offers reduced by any remaining interested teams, supposedly still the Dodgers and Padres. No East Coast teams involved .

I really hope the Dodgers get Crochet and the Yankees get eliminated .

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Holding a guy down for non-baseball reasons. 

What I find possible is that Getz has no idea what he's doing here and teams are moving on.

If teams are moving on it’s because they aren’t giving a forced extension to a guy who has been a starter for four months. Not everything needs to fit into this one narrative. 

• Like 1

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Holding a guy down for non-baseball reasons. 

What I find possible is that Getz has no idea what he's doing here and teams are moving on.

I wouldn’t send him down now as punishment for leaking this to the media, but I don’t think there was anything unreasonable to kicking off his transition to SP in Charlotte and reclaiming a year of control back.

But yes, it’s very possible that Getz is in over his head.  He’s got a lot of players he should be moving and he should probably be one more of the proactive GMs so he doesn’t handcuff himself a bit at the end.

• Thanks 1