Crochet wants an extension to pitch in the playoffs

4 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Youre trying to have it both ways. Youtold us 3 guys who always get hurt getting hurt at the same time was the big reason they were so bad. Now these are guys he was stuck with is the reason. Getz is bad. Any other team would have fired him by now. Of course, they never would have hired him in the first place.

He was stuck with 3 guys who get injured. They got injured, and their absence added to the horrible start. I don't see two different ways I'm trying to have it. He had to roster Eloy, Yoan and Robert, make them bench pieces, cut them, or trade them. Please tell me how a "competent" GM would have handled that situation, coming in. 

Now will you own up to the both ways you want to have it, of declaring that Getz "should have known" that all three would be injured at the same time that would magically put players the equal of or better than them when the thing he "should have known" happened?

In the middle of a run so not posting a link or quote. But Rosenthal just put out a piece saying Crochet's extension demand shouldn't be a huge obstacle in moving him. Mentions the Dodgers and Padres still interested.

• Like 1

There’s not one baseball person that could say with a straight face that Getz has done a good job.  Absolutely ludicrous.

Fedde doesn’t make up for an otherwise terrible offseason in which Getz didn’t improve the team defense as was his stated goal or make up for a historically bad season for the franchise.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

14 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

He was stuck with 3 guys who get injured. They got injured, and their absence added to the horrible start. I don't see two different ways I'm trying to have it. He had to roster Eloy, Yoan and Robert, make them bench pieces, cut them, or trade them. Please tell me how a "competent" GM would have handled that situation, coming in. 

Now will you own up to the both ways you want to have it, of declaring that Getz "should have known" that all three would be injured at the same time that would magically put players the equal of or better than them when the thing he "should have known" happened?

Other than you and Getz and some others in the White Sox organization,  no one is shocked they all got hurt, and at the same time. Chris told us the AL Cenral was going to help for a quick bounce back. Check the standings.  23.5 out of 4th place.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Other than you and Getz and some others in the White Sox organization,  no one is shocked they all got hurt, and at the same time. Chris told us the AL Cenral was going to help for a quick bounce back. Check the standings. 

That’s why Jerry promoted him.  He knew the organization, the team, and what they needed to improve.  It would be a quick turnaround and not take a GM from outside the organization a full year to assess things.  Getz’s solution — defense and leadership!

Oops, wait no.  They actually still need those things, along with an entirely new offense.  On pace for 42 wins.  Excellent job, Chris.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

46 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

In the middle of a run so not posting a link or quote. But Rosenthal just put out a piece saying Crochet's extension demand shouldn't be a huge obstacle in moving him. Mentions the Dodgers and Padres still interested.

It's the usual backwash from the backlash. It's kind of is a big obstacle , but so was trading him while expecting a big return for a guy not likely to have enough left in the tank to be the same pitcher he's been up to this point. Rosenthal is just echoing what Joel Sherman of the NY Post wrote this morning which echos almost exactly what I've been posting for at least a week.

Sherman's NY Post article

https://nypost.com/2024/07/26/sports/dodgers-best-positioned-at-trade-deadline-to-meet-garrett-crochets-demands/

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
Joel Sherman

4 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Other than you and Getz and some others in the White Sox organization,  no one is shocked they all got hurt, and at the same time. Chris told us the AL Cenral was going to help for a quick bounce back. Check the standings.  23.5 out of 4th place.

Joke's on you for listening to a new hire press conference, and believing all the happy talk. I think it's way sillier to know this team sucked in a bad way, they had to blow it up and rebuild again, then be "shocked" that they blew it up and rebuild. Does this happen to you often? Are you shocked every morning when you go to the bathroom because you thought this bathroom business was taken care of yesterday?

I wasn't "shocked" they got hurt. You've even admitted their record would be better if all three didn't go down. I'm not sure what the point is. 

Again, my question to you is what should Getz have done? DFA all three in the winter? Pay down their contracts or send prospects along to trade them? Bench them? It's a silly strawman to pretend that I was "surprised" that injuries happen. 

10 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

There’s not one baseball person that could say with a straight face that Getz has done a good job.  Absolutely ludicrous.

Fedde doesn’t make up for an otherwise terrible offseason in which Getz didn’t improve the team defense as was his stated goal or make up for a historically bad season for the franchise.

What's a baseball person and you have polled them ? Let's at the very least stop projecting your thoughts into competent baseball people as if you are one of them.

Your hyperbole is ludicrous.

• Fire 1

7 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

That’s why Jerry promoted him.  He knew the organization, the team, and what they needed to improve.  It would be a quick turnaround and not take a GM from outside the organization a full year to assess things.  Getz’s solution — defense and leadership!

Oops, wait no.  They actually still need those things, along with an entirely new offense.  On pace for 42 wins.  Excellent job, Chris.

I'm confident you have no idea how long this organization would take to turn around.

Again, the people who "knew" this team sucked, and that they would have to rebuild sound like idiots when they pretend to have been fooled by a press conference. If you're comfortable telling the world you're that stupid, have at it. We already knew, though. 

Just now, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

What's a baseball person and you have polled them ? Let's at the very least stop projecting your thoughts into competent baseball people as if you are one of them.

Your hyperbole is ludicrous.

I’m not the one who thinks some sports writer is actually stealing my thoughts from a Sox message board.  That’s even more ludicrous.  ?

1 minute ago, WestEddy said:

Joke's on you for listening to a new hire press conference, and believing all the happy talk. I think it's way sillier to know this team sucked in a bad way, they had to blow it up and rebuild again, then be "shocked" that they blew it up and rebuild. Does this happen to you often? Are you shocked every morning when you go to the bathroom because you thought this bathroom business was taken care of yesterday?

I wasn't "shocked" they got hurt. You've even admitted their record would be better if all three didn't go down. I'm not sure what the point is. 

Again, my question to you is what should Getz have done? DFA all three in the winter? Pay down their contracts or send prospects along to trade them? Bench them? It's a silly strawman to pretend that I was "surprised" that injuries happen. 

No he should have acquired someone who can hit. I said during spring training I would have my pitchers throw Robert sliders off the plate, and if you walk him a few times, so what? It was obvious from the get go this team scoring more than 2 or 3 runs would be a challenge. 

3 minutes ago, Whisox05 said:

I agree with Boob (for once) and have been saying exactly this since this silly news came out. Crochet doesn’t have the ability to dictate this stuff. 

7 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

No he should have acquired someone who can hit. I said during spring training I would have my pitchers throw Robert sliders off the plate, and if you walk him a few times, so what? It was obvious from the get go this team scoring more than 2 or 3 runs would be a challenge. 

Oh, he should have signed all the good players? Great idea!!

You're evading the question. So the entire world knew that Robert, Yoan and Eloy would be injured 11 games in. Tell me, what was Getz supposed to do with this knowledge?

A) Cut them
B) Bench them
C) Pay money or prospects to trade them
D) Overpay other players to sit on the bench and eventually replace them

A, B and C would be ludicrous wastes of value, and I'd love you to tell me all the 4 WAR players who were clamoring to sit on the Sox bench, and watch them lose until somebody got hurt. Oh, you can't give me a list of players who would sign for $2 million dollars and then put up 4 WAR? God, what a shitty GM you would make. 

Just now, WestEddy said:

Oh, he should have signed all the good players? Great idea!!

You're evading the question. So the entire world knew that Robert, Yoan and Eloy would be injured 11 games in. Tell me, what was Getz supposed to do with this knowledge?

A) Cut them
B) Bench them
C) Pay money or prospects to trade them
D) Overpay other players to sit on the bench and eventually replace them

A, B and C would be ludicrous wastes of value, and I'd love you to tell me all the 4 WAR players who were clamoring to sit on the Sox bench, and watch them lose until somebody got hurt. Oh, you can't give me a list of players who would sign for $2 million dollars and then put up 4 WAR? God, what a shitty GM you would make. 

I'm glad you're happy with Getz. You abd JR. 27-79.

There are plenty of teams still interested in Crochet, to think this “bombshell report” completely dries up his market is wild to me. He’s still one of the 10 best pitcher in all of baseball this year, him wanting to get paid more than $800k per doesn’t change that fact. I think he still gets moved and if he doesn’t I’m hopeful that he finishes the season strong and gets a potentially even bigger haul in the offseason. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Rey21 said:

There are plenty of teams still interested in Crochet, to think this “bombshell report” completely dries up his market is wild to me. He’s still one of the 10 best pitcher in all of baseball this year, him wanting to get paid more than $800k per doesn’t change that fact. I think he still gets moved and if he doesn’t I’m hopeful that he finishes the season strong and gets a potentially even bigger haul in the offseason. 

I just find it hard to believe Crochet would actually refuse to pitch in the playoffs.

Just now, Dick Allen said:

I'm glad you're happy with Getz. You abd JR. 27-79.

You still won't answer the question. 

And all the "bats" the people were screaming for the Sox to sign - Michael A. Taylor, Adam Duvall, Nick Ahmed, Hunter Renfroe - Pham is better than any of them. 

I await your answer. 

41 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

Of course it's not, why wouldn't a team with money be willing to lock up one of the games elite arms?

4 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Chris Getz was the director of player development. The White Sox have less talent than any team in baseball. It doesn't matter who you want to blame, those outcomes are his responsibility.

Great post.  Where are the results from Getz’s previous role before his promotion to GM?

Edited by WhiteSox2023