Crochet wants an extension to pitch in the playoffs

1 minute ago, greg775 said:

I was talking to a second non biased baseball expert today and they agreed with me that a team the White Sox market size should not be trading stars for prospects in any tank maneuver. He said the lure of the unknown dominates sports fans. Here's an example. Royals SPENT a little bit of cash to acquire two starters Lugo and some other guy who turned out good. And one hitter, Witt, is basically carrying the lineup. Robert is our Witt conceivably. He also agreed with me a pitching staff of Crochet, Cease, Fedde, Thorpe and Kopech should be fine if we had it. ... By the way somebody like Beni and Eloy, by all means trade 'em.

27 wins.  That what this roster has. 

27 wins.

It is one a pace to win 45 games with your precious stars.

You give me a JR proof path to putting 50 wins on the field in the next 2 years while Crochet and Fedde are here and I will listen.  Otherwise, you are asking the Sox to commit baseball gross negligence by sucking and not getting anything for their players the same way the Bulls just did.

• Thanks 1

On 7/11/2024 at 12:39 PM, baseball_gal_aly said:

I think they got a fair deal. 

I did not think that Thorpe's fastball would play in mlb and it's still early. He only had 1 strikeout yesterday and he's not missing enough bats.

The contact allowed will eventually catch up with him. 

I saw my mlb.com highlight video (free) in the game summary and I coulda sworn Thorpe threw a screwball. I know what a screwball does cause I used to throw one and the ball swooped in to a hitter as a screwball would. Am I seeing things?

37 minutes ago, greg775 said:

I was talking to a second non biased baseball expert today and they agreed with me that a team the White Sox market size should not be trading stars for prospects in any tank maneuver. He said the lure of the unknown dominates sports fans. Here's an example. Royals SPENT a little bit of cash to acquire two starters Lugo and some other guy who turned out good. And one hitter, Witt, is basically carrying the lineup. Robert is our Witt conceivably. He also agreed with me a pitching staff of Crochet, Rodon, Cease, Fedde, Thorpe and Kopech should be fine if we had it. ... By the way somebody like Beni and Eloy, by all means trade 'em.

There is absolutely no reason to go to 2025 spring training with a 40-win team!! A city the size of Chicago with two consecutive tank jobs is SAD IMO.

Again with respect I'd like to know who these "baseball experts" are so I can determine if they really know what they are supposedly talking about.  

6 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Again with respect I'd like to know who these "baseball experts" are so I can determine if they really know what they are supposedly talking about.  

His waitress at the Lawrence KS Applebee's 

• Haha 2

54 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Lip: I understand your position that JR won't do the things I want. But with the Sox payroll as high as it is it's simply ridiculous they can't build the same way the Royals have. The Royals have a lot of bad players as do the Sox. But they are putting it together riding one superstar and a couple pitchers they've spliced together into a decent staff. I do realize they lost 105 games or whatever last year and now are good. But the way the Sox allegedly are going to do it is this year is ridiculously bad but not even close to how bad it's gonna be the next two seasons. After the previous tank, that's just unacceptable and the commish should protect us fans and fine Jerry mercilessly and reprimand him or even contract the team. It's unacceptable to put this kind of product out there the next two seasons minimum, prolly more if our minor leaguers like Monte stink.

9 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Lip: I understand your position that JR won't do the things I want. But with the Sox payroll as high as it is it's simply ridiculous they can't build the same way the Royals have. The Royals have a lot of bad players as do the Sox. But they are putting it together riding one superstar and a couple pitchers they've spliced together into a decent staff. I do realize they lost 105 games or whatever last year and now are good. But the way the Sox allegedly are going to do it is this year is ridiculously bad but not even close to how bad it's gonna be the next two seasons. After the previous tank, that's just unacceptable and the commish should protect us fans and fine Jerry mercilessly and reprimand him or even contract the team. It's unacceptable to put this kind of product out there the next two seasons minimum, prolly more if our minor leaguers like Monte stink.

You want to immitate the Royals? The Royals spent half a decade tanking to get their franchise player before they had enough of a team to spend a minimal amount around.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

You want to immitate the Royals? The Royals spent half a decade tanking to get their franchise player before they had enough of a team to spend a minimal amount around.

For real, the only reason the Sox don't have Witt is cause the Royals were slightly worse.

• Fire 1

2 hours ago, greg775 said:

Again...whom are these "baseball experts" that are giving you the advice of what the Sox should be doing.

3 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Stay in the present. I told ya how they built this winner. Bought 2 pitchers in the offseason for pennies who are excelling and have one phenom in Witt and a steady leader in Salvy. Yeah I'd like to be 9 over .500 like they are. Plus Witt was No 2 in the draft; they could easily have not gotten him so they weren't planning on him being savior.

3 hours ago, Quin said:

For real, the only reason the Sox don't have Witt is cause the Royals were slightly worse.

If the Sox had Witt wouldn't he be on the market as well? Little difference between he and Crochet/Robert.

45 minutes ago, greg775 said:

If the Sox had Witt wouldn't he be on the market as well? Little difference between he and Crochet/Robert.

If Witt was on the Sox, yes, he would be traded in about 1 or 2 years from now for sure.  Getz/Jerry wouldn’t have given him an 11/$288.7 million dollar extension like the Royals did.

Instead, Witt would have turned down Getz/Jerry’s offer of 10/$200 million with the possibility of earning $300 million if Witt won the Triple Crown in both of the last two years of the deal when Witt is in his mid-30’s.  ?

Edited by WhiteSox2023

23 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

If Witt was on the Sox, yes, he would be traded in about 1 or 2 years from now for sure.  Getz/Jerry wouldn’t have given him an 11/$288.7 million dollar extension like the Royals did.

Instead, Witt would have turned down Getz/Jerry’s offer of 10/$200 million with the possibility of earning $300 million if Witt won the Triple Crown in both of the last two years of the deal when Witt is in his mid-30’s.  ?

What you are telling me is there's no reason to be a loyal fan of this team. The team deserves our scorn over and over and over again and if somehow they actually win the division some year then we cheer a bit for them. What you all are basically is saying is the Sox are not allowed to have any 'great' players again. Our pennant hopes rest on somehow a batch of young guys clicking some year cause this franchise will not pay a 'great' player. Case closed on that. ... I don't even see why at Jerry's age it'd be worth having a team if it's never going to be good. He's that loyal to his offspring that he wants to leave them a team when he dies instead of just a huge check after he sells the team now? Weird. If I were his kids I'd want the money now.

13 minutes ago, greg775 said:

What you are telling me is there's no reason to be a loyal fan of this team. The team deserves our scorn over and over and over again and if somehow they actually win the division some year then we cheer a bit for them. What you all are basically is saying is the Sox are not allowed to have any 'great' players again. Our pennant hopes rest on somehow a batch of young guys clicking some year cause this franchise will not pay a 'great' player. Case closed on that. ... I don't even see why at Jerry's age it'd be worth having a team if it's never going to be good. He's that loyal to his offspring that he wants to leave them a team when he dies instead of just a huge check after he sells the team now? Weird. If I were his kids I'd want the money now.

Yes - this franchise sucks but we’re addicted… and one day, maybe while we’re grey and dying… we will bask in glory as a blind squirrel finding a nut.

11 hours ago, greg775 said:

No, that is not what I am saying.

Your expectations are understandable but too high considering the current Sox owner.  I understand being upset about not extending a stud like Witt in the hypothetical scenario in which the Sox drafted him but you are the same guy that wanted to bring back the decaying corpses of Abreu and Anderson so you can watch them attempt to play .490 baseball.

The fact of the matter is that there are some teams with cheap owners like JR that don’t want to and won’t spend on all facets of their organization to win.  But obviously that is no excuse.

There are other ways to win, even with a low MLB payroll.  Look at the Rays for example.  They are competitive almost every year because they have a good front office, good scouting, and good development.

Instead of being upset about not extending players that may or may not be past their prime, you should be wishing we had a team like the Rays that know how to:

1.)  Draft the right players and develop them.

2.)  Trade away their MLB players as they get more expensive via arbitration and approach free agency for promising prospects.

3.)  Don’t waste a combined $20+ million dollars on garbage veteran bench players year after year like the Sox when your own developed prospects would be better for a fraction of the cost.

Instead of championing a wise change like this, you wish we would sign over-the-hill nostalgic vets like Abreu and Anderson because you are apparently happy watching .490 baseball.

The question is, why are you happy to watch .490 baseball that leads to absolutely nothing?

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

understand

1 hour ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

The question is, why are you happy to watch .490 baseball that leads to absolutely jack sh1t?  No playoffs and no shot at a World Series.  It’s literally like splooging in a Kleenex rather than having sex and finishing in your partner.

Cause we've lost for too long and the idea of two seasons after this worse than this one saddens/disgusts me.

7 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Cause we've lost for too long and the idea of two seasons after this worse than this one saddens/disgusts me.

We’ll be better next year. Hell - we will probably be better in the second half.

It would be miraculous to be as bad or worse in the second half as they’ve been in the first half.

8 hours ago, greg775 said:

Nah, that’s a weak excuse.  The Sox have sucked for years.  What does a .490 baseball get anyone?  No playoffs, no chance at a WS, so what does that do for you?

You may as well just be excited about every win the Sox get in a losing season cuz .490 doesn’t get them anything better.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, greg775 said:

Here is the reason he's not selling:

https://www.southsidesox.com/2022/8/29/23325369/jerry-reinsdorf-selling-chicago-white-sox-not-on-his-life

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, greg775 said:

If your Fandom is based on winning, you picked poorly.

• Haha 1

There is no reason whatsoever, to even consider holding Fedde beyond the trade deadline. The Sox finally hit on one of the bargain basement signings, now convert it into something that may be of use, long term.

And I read someone say this team might be better in the 2nd half....I can't see any world in which that is true. Once Pham, Fedde, Brebbia, Flexen, DeJong, maybe Robert and Crochet, are all gone, it will be even worse as the growing pains kick in.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Capn12 said:

And I read someone say this team might be better in the 2nd half....I can't see any world in which that is true.

A lot of players are already returning to the mean. The production we saw in other cases will be replaced at a higher level with people from the minors. I really think we’ll be better in the second half regardless but don’t get me wrong: we are still going to suck ass.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, hi8is said:

A lot of players are already returning to the mean. The production we saw in other cases will be replaced at a higher level with people from the minors. I really think we’ll be better in the second half regardless but don’t get me wrong: we are still going to suck ass.

If we finally get through our front office rock heads, that seeing what we have in our own system is a better plan than shopping for options at Goodwill, I agree. It may not show in the record, but we're setting ourselves up better for a more realistic view of the near future.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, hi8is said:

Bryan Ramos and DeLoach/Colas could probably out-perform Paul DeJong's mundane output since the middle of  June (.207/.250/.293), or Tommy Pham's pedestrian (.238/.340/.310) in the same time period. While it would be hard to replace Crochet's and Fedde's production, maybe Davis Martin, Sean Burke or Ky Bush can just be solid like Jonathan Cannon. 

15 hours ago, hi8is said:

We’ll be better next year. Hell - we will probably be better in the second half.

It would be miraculous to be as bad or worse in the second half as they’ve been in the first half.

you think a team with half the talent is gonna win more games after July 30th? I want what you're smoking.  you realize they're probably trading away everyone who has a pulse, right lol

• Like 2