Crochet wants an extension to pitch in the playoffs

16 minutes ago, joejoesox said:

you think a team with half the talent is gonna win more games after July 30th? I want what you're smoking.  you realize they're probably trading away everyone who has a pulse, right lol

Depending on who they bring up, I wouldn't be surprised. The ones they can't trade they will cut.

7 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Depending on who they bring up, I wouldn't be surprised. The ones they can't trade they will cut.

I agree, I think Maldonado is probably gone,  I'd imagine a few relievers aren't gonna be here anymore either.

If Moncada manages to come back a couple weeks prior to the deadline, I could see him being dealt assuming the Sox pitch in some cash.  I think a contender would take the gamble on Moncadas upside for 2+ months

13 hours ago, joejoesox said:

I agree, I think Maldonado is probably gone,  I'd imagine a few relievers aren't gonna be here anymore either.

If Moncada manages to come back a couple weeks prior to the deadline, I could see him being dealt assuming the Sox pitch in some cash.  I think a contender would take the gamble on Moncadas upside for 2+ months

My guess is Moncada comes back, isn’t moved, and plays 3B the rest of the year barring another injury. 

44 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Nightengale now saying Chicago is cautiously optimistic that Robert will be moved as they think he has regained some value. 

Regaining some value is fine, but not as far as implying a discount. Get what he’s worth or try again after the season. 

Grifol could have pulled him.
But I'm sure he'll bring in the good relievers now that the game's out of reach.

And like clockwork he did: NOW he brings in Brebbia.  it's ridiculous to let this fool manage this team.

Edited by GreenSox

1 hour ago, GreenSox said:

Grifol could have pulled him.
But I'm sure he'll bring in the good relievers now that the game's out of reach.

And like clockwork he did: NOW he brings in Brebbia.  it's ridiculous to let this fool manage this team.

With this Sox bullpen they really don't have any "good" relief pitchers.

All flotsam and jetsam, dumpster dives save for maybe Leasure who still may have a future.   

4 hours ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Nightengale now saying Chicago is cautiously optimistic that Robert will be moved as they think he has regained some value. 

If his value is actually being gauged based on three game increments, yeah, he ain’t getting moved. That’s so dumb.

5 hours ago, Snopek said:

If his value is actually being gauged based on three game increments, yeah, he ain’t getting moved. That’s so dumb.

There is a clear difference in his play over the past 10 days 2 weeks.

Early on after he came back he wasn't hitting good but was hitting for power and taking walks and being cautious on the bases.

Lately the hit tool has showed up , he's making diving catches, generally being his La Pantera persona defensively and stealing bases. If the Sox get really lucky before the deadline, BA, OBP, and Slg will all show up at once. We may not like it but coming back from another hip injury his progress is under a week by week microscope looking for any signs of permanent damage.

Robert hasn't gotten it all together, yet still has an OPS >.800, 11/11 in Steals and 10 HRs.  He's a major talent.  Some team has got to bite.

One player that hasn't been mentioned much that I would like the Sox to get is the player we should have drafted last year:  Bradfield.  I know he's no cinch to make it, but boy the team could use more speed and athleticism.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, GreenSox said:

Robert hasn't gotten it all together, yet still has an OPS >.800, 11/11 in Steals and 10 HRs.  He's a major talent.  Some team has got to bite.

One player that hasn't been mentioned much that I would like the Sox to get is the player we should have drafted last year:  Bradfield.  I know he's no cinch to make it, but boy the team could use more speed and athleticism.  

Robert to Seattle

Fedde to Baltimore or the Dodgers

Crochet stays or goes to the Dodgers or Yankees

Pham to a wild card contender like Pittsburg or Kansas City

Kopech gets packaged with Fedde or Crochet

If they don’t get their ask for Crochet, keep him and try this rodeo next July. Offer a 6 year deal buying out arb and four free agency years. If he turns it down you get a kings ransom.

9 hours ago, GreenSox said:

As the centerpiece of a trade for Robert or Crochet? Pass. As the second piece for Fedde? Sure. It's good defense but zero impact so far. You'd think he'd run himself into more doubles and triples. The upside comp is Kenny Lofton. So far, there's a lot of Billy Hamilton.

• Like 3

On 7/14/2024 at 9:29 AM, T R U said:

My guess is Moncada comes back, isn’t moved, and plays 3B the rest of the year barring another injury. 

He comes back, goes on an absolute tear for a week and a half, Sox fans dream of actually being able to unload him for a C+ prospect, then he suffers season ending injury a couple days before TDL, is my prediction

If I were the O’s I’d make an offer for Crochet AND Fedde. Strike while the iron is hot. They’ve got a lot of great prospects but I don’t see the pitching depth when they are otherwise in position to win some WS. Holliday, Mayo, Bradfield and Beavers for Crochet and Fedde and any bullpen arms they might find useful. That still leaves them with plenty of young talent on positional side. The relative cheapness of Crochet and Fedde would allow them to put some money into acquiring a bat via free agency if they need one.

obviously that’s a lot to give up, but that’s a lot of high quality starting pitching to receive at a crucial juncture

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, 4OCS said:

If I were the O’s I’d make an offer for Crochet AND Fedde. Strike while the iron is hot. They’ve got a lot of great prospects but I don’t see the pitching depth when they are otherwise in position to win some WS. Holliday, Mayo, Bradfield and Beavers for Crochet and Fedde and any bullpen arms they might find useful. That still leaves them with plenty of young talent on positional side. The relative cheapness of Crochet and Fedde would allow them to put some money into acquiring a bat via free agency if they need one.

obviously that’s a lot to give up, but that’s a lot of high quality starting pitching to receive at a crucial juncture

I like the idea of them acquiring both and thinks it makes sense for them. But you still aren't getting Holliday

49 minutes ago, 4OCS said:

I'm in you crazy son of a b****.

• Like 3

On 7/12/2024 at 9:26 PM, greg775 said:

If the Sox had Witt wouldn't he be on the market as well? Little difference between he and Crochet/Robert.

I think the difference is - Witt was part of a young nucleus all coming together where as the Sox just aren't there, hence you have to hit a hard reset and start getting the depth where it needs to be and guys aligned on timelines....than you can start playing in free agency, etc. 

With that said - a hard reset done right will get them in a good spot - but to really turn the corner they will have to be much better developing from within and managing the roster construction in-line with JR's free agent rules. This means they have to operate at times like the Rays and trade a guy a year early because you know you won't keep them and also be much better where they do play in free agency.  

As a general rule of thumb - I think the Sox front office should spend more money on buying international free agent $$$ and acquire draft picks where they can (basically increase their chances on cheap players), invest in talent development, and than don't assume JR is going to let you go 10yr on some $300M guy, which means don't plan on it - but be ready to jump in if a market isn't there to go big money on shorter-term deals (think of Cody a year ago to the Cubs type of moves) that you might get JR to jump at (and when those deals hit - the club has to be ready to move them a bit early to keep building up capital and maintaining it).  

Best bet at buying guys is going to be in trade market (vs. major free agent deals).  Be smart when you buy, etc - and that also means they have to be successful drafting, international free agency, and on development front.  

I'm not expecting them to make the above all happen - cause I just assume somehow they won't - but I still go back to, as bad as the on field product is (and as much as Getz was at least part of the problem on development where I wouldn't have hired him myself) - thus far I still don't have any major issues with what he has done in a year 1 of a rebuild (with exception that I'm not big on Grifol - but I also get it - sometimes just let the guy run them into the ground).  

• Like 2

Garrett Crochet worth a haul?

After one of his recent outings, a rival evaluator who saw Chicago White Sox starting pitcher Garrett Crochet texted the following:

“Absolutely incredible. Someone should give them what they want. Fastball that explodes, angle, life (on his fastball) just absurd. I’d give them like five prospects for him right now.”

Crochet, 25, is earning only $800,000 this season and isn’t a free agent until 2027. There are no perfect examples of previous trades that could match a potential Crochet trade, but a couple recent moves that have a similar profile include: Zack Greinke being traded to the Houston Astros for four prospects and Tyler Mahle being traded to the Minnesota Twins for three prospects.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Whisox05 said:

Garrett Crochet worth a haul?

After one of his recent outings, a rival evaluator who saw Chicago White Sox starting pitcher Garrett Crochet texted the following:

“Absolutely incredible. Someone should give them what they want. Fastball that explodes, angle, life (on his fastball) just absurd. I’d give them like five prospects for him right now.”

Crochet, 25, is earning only $800,000 this season and isn’t a free agent until 2027. There are no perfect examples of previous trades that could match a potential Crochet trade, but a couple recent moves that have a similar profile include: Zack Greinke being traded to the Houston Astros for four prospects and Tyler Mahle being traded to the Minnesota Twins for three prospects.

I love the scout's evaluation, but neither Greinke nor Mahle (really?) have a "similar profile."  He also seems to use the Phil Rogers approach of judging a trade based on quantity received.

As previously posted, I am all in on Baltimore trading prospects for both Fedde & Crochet. This would not only boost their staff on the cheap for the present but also provide insurance if they can't sign Burnes.

Elias doesn't have the stones to make it happen.  If Dumbrowski was the O's GM he would be flipping the prospects.

Edited by Falstaff