Kopech expected to moved by the deadline

47 minutes ago, T R U said:

I would bet that the return for Kopech is going to be much better than people think.

Agreed.  With a 1.5 years of control and an arm like that, you can get a pretty good prospect imo. 

1 hour ago, T R U said:

I would bet that the return for Kopech is going to be much better than people think.

If he does a little more of what he did yesterday for the next 3 weeks, I can see him being his own substantial trade piece. 

• Like 1

It’s wild how much he’s decreased the usage of the slider and how much less effective it has been this year.  A big part of that looks to be command driven because in 2021 it was a very productive pitch and he consistently hit the bottom corner of the zone.  This year he’s all over the place and it shows.  If a teams think they can fix that pitch, then he may a little more value than most of us our thinking.  2021 Kopech with a year of control would be one of the most valuable players on the market right now.

On 7/11/2024 at 9:24 AM, T R U said:

Eh, I’m not so sure.  Probably a better return than the people who think he will only return a PTBNL.  He has failed as both a starter and a reliever.  The team that acquires him will likely be in love with his stuff and think they can get more innings out of him like his immaculate one.  But that is all potential.  I think teams will want to pay the price for his past and current performance, not for what he could possibly do.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

On 7/11/2024 at 9:24 AM, T R U said:

I think we get a piece out of someone's top 10.  You can't teach that arm 

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Eh, I’m not so sure.  Probably a better return than the people who think he will only return a PTBNL.  He has failed as both a starter and a reliever.  The team that acquires him will likely be in love with his stuff and think they can get more inning out of him like his immaculate inning.  But that is all potential.  I think teams will want to pay the price for his past and current performance, not for what he could possibly do.

If Lance Lynn and Joe Kelly can return two young controllable MLB ready arms then Michael Kopech with an extra year of control should bring back something useful as well.

A big help here is competition between other teams trying to get him, and much like last year you know teams are thinking if they can get the talented player they can adjust what the White Sox couldn't.

• Like 1

On 7/11/2024 at 7:24 AM, T R U said:

I doubt it. He's has a couple good appearances recently but overall has not been good in high leverage situations. 

I dont see much value there.

6 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

I doubt it. He's has a couple good appearances recently but overall has not been good in high leverage situations. 

All it takes is for one team to see a talented player that can throw 100 MPH with control beyond this season. Guess we will find out soon.

1 hour ago, SoCalChiSox said:

He was awesome in 2021 as a reliever and the stuff is still there…need a couple of teams that think they can fix him and we can something interesting.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

He was awesome in 2021 as a reliever and the stuff is still there…need a couple of teams that think they can fix him and we can something interesting.

Or can just make him listen on pitch selection. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Hell, he had success starting in 2022.

Then he died.

On 7/12/2024 at 10:39 AM, southsider2k5 said:

I think we get a piece out of someone's top 10.  You can't teach that arm 

That and a draft pick works for me. (Or international bonus money). ? 

He may need to be reinvented by his new team. He needs a good pitching coach and a move back to being a starter. Change his windup, change everything, make it simple and bowl people over with the fastball.

If some team thinks they can help Kopech get out of his own head, I could see the Sox getting a nice return.  Maybe him going to a contender that uses him appropriately will help.  The guy has an electric arm and throws nothing straight.  A 100+ mph fastball that moves is a hell of a weapon.  We saw the best of Kopech in his immaculate inning, but we've seen the worst of Kopech often enough.  One mistake, by him or the defense, and he melts down.  I like Kopech, but I'm ready for him to move on.

Kopech is the one pitcher I'd try to get out there as often as is reasonable.  Show he can do a back-to-back and pitch well; show he can handle 2 innings.  Pedro needs to forget this one inning every-other day stuff for the next few weeks.  I think the upside reward is greater than the downside risk.  

Fedde and Crochet, on the other hand,  have shown all that they need to show; use them judiciously, a little extra rest, etc.  

11 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

That and a draft pick works for me. (Or international bonus money). ? 

I like the draft pick more to add money to the #10 pick next year and pay insane money to a prep kid at 10 to ease the burden of sucking and not being rewarded for it this year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

Kopech is the one pitcher I'd try to get out there as often as is reasonable.  Show he can do a back-to-back and pitch well; show he can handle 2 innings.  Pedro needs to forget this one inning every-other day stuff for the next few weeks.  I think the upside reward is greater than the downside risk.  

Fedde and Crochet, on the other hand,  have shown all that they need to show; use them judiciously, a little extra rest, etc.  

Fedde should not throw another pitch for the Chicago White Sox 

• Like 1