Sox to start managing Crochet’s workload

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

I thought maybe they would do this. It’s close to 2 weeks off, with an inning probably in All Star game.

And after tonight’s start, it would give Crochet only two more starts before the trade deadline.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

Really?  They pitch him tonight on regular rest.  They let him throw in the all star game off of short 3 day rest.

That's quite the workload management.   There's no reason for him to pitch tonight.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

And after tonight’s start, it would give Crochet only two more starts before the trade deadline.

Fewer chances to get hurt and or crater his trade value.

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

Really?  They pitch him tonight on regular rest.  They let him throw in the all star game off of short 3 day rest.

That's quite the workload management.   There's no reason for him to pitch tonight.  

They will probably treat the All-Star Game as his side session and it will be one inning max.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

Fewer chances to get hurt and or crater his trade value.

Would u guys prefer I stop whining about the sadness I feel in trading Crochet. Serious question, not a troll. I'll try if u suggest I do that. Other option is to let greg mourn when I read posts like this.

29 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Would u guys prefer I stop whining about the sadness I feel in trading Crochet. Serious question, not a troll. I'll try if u suggest I do that. Other option is to let greg mourn when I read posts like this.

With respect we understand your point of view, now it is time to accept the reality of things. If he isn't traded in the next two weeks it will be this off season because an extension will not be forthcoming. 

1 hour ago, GreenSox said:

You're nuts. Pitch him. It's his turn. I want to watch him. Maybe he gets an inning in ASG, maybe not.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, joejoesox said:

this move absolutely decreased his value 

I don't think so. It probably helped. Everyone knew he was going to get bullpen number innings in the second half. This shows other teams that the Sox are protecting him for the next team.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, ptatc said:

I don't think so. It probably helped. Everyone knew he was going to get bullpen number innings in the second half. This shows other teams that the Sox are protecting him for the next team.

I wonder if the team that trades for Crochet can find some balance of keeping him stretched out to start while giving him a lot of rest to have him as a postseason starter?  6-man rotation along with skipping Crochet’s starts where they can.

13 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

I wonder if the team that trades for Crochet can find some balance of keeping him stretched out to start while giving him a lot of rest to have him as a postseason starter?  6-man rotation along with skipping Crochet’s starts where they can.

They will need to be creative that's for sure. 

1 minute ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

If that is possible, he makes perfect sense for a team with a big division lead that doesn’t necessarily need him to win their division.

That will be a key. Do whatever they can to save him for the postseason. He can't have much left.

10 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Well, I know one poster who disagrees with us.  ?

I've already been wrong with how much they would pitch him so what do I know. 

9 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

If that is possible, he makes perfect sense for a team with a big division lead that doesn’t necessarily need him to win their division.

I read somewhere where a team would make him a closer, then ramp him up a little at the end of the season so he could start in the postseason.

45 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I read somewhere where a team would make him a closer, then ramp him up a little at the end of the season so he could start in the postseason.

Crochet doesn't want to pitch in relief. He feels being a starter puts him on a routine that best helps his arm.

If it was relief pitcher every 5 days then maybe but then why not just be an opener for an inning or 2 through August and Sept. Or lower his pitch count to 40 pitches or 2 inning whichever come 1st for 6 starts then back up to 60 75 ,90 in the last 3 starts of the season. How that would alter his between starts routine I don't know. Maybe Crochet tells the new team through Getz what he prefers before a trade can be completed. How all of that affects his arm or gets him to pitch higher innings in the playoff  I have no idea.Its all unprecedented.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

Just now, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Crochet doesn't want to pitch in relief. He feels being a starter puts him on a routine that best helps his arm.

If it was relief pitcher every 5 days then maybe but then why not just be an opener for an inning or 2 through August and Sept. Or lower his pitch count to 40 pitches or 2 inning whichever come 1st for 6 starts then back up to 60 75 ,90 in the last 3 starts of the season. How that would alter his between starts routine I don't know. Maybe Crochet tells the new team through Getz what he prefers before a trade can be completed.

Yeah, I think that’s what a team would prob do. Either have a 6-man rotation or keep him on schedule every 5th day and have him pitch an inning or two with a long reliever. How many teams could do that though? It would have to be a team that is basically a lock for the post-season but I don’t know if there is ever such a thing. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

If it was relief pitcher every 5 days then maybe but then why not just be an opener for an inning or 2 through August and Sept. Or lower his pitch count to 40 pitches or 2 inning whichever come 1st for 6 starts then back up to 60 75 ,90 in the last 3 starts of the season. How that would alter his between starts routine I don't know. Maybe Crochet tells the new team through Getz what he prefers before a trade can be completed. How all of that affects his arm or gets him to pitch higher innings in the playoff  I have no idea.Its all unprecedented.

I think crochet will value his health over his preference for the rest if this year. He has proven he can start and will be a starter next year. For the rest of this year he needs to decrease to bullpen level innings otherwise he won't have a next year.