Sox to start managing Crochet’s workload

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

I read somewhere where a team would make him a closer, then ramp him up a little at the end of the season so he could start in the postseason.

I think that would make the most sense for a team that trades for him. Basically say he will be used in the bullpen this year, see how the playoffs go, and then be a full fledged starter again next year with no restriction. 

42 minutes ago, PaleAleSox said:

I think that would make the most sense for a team that trades for him. Basically say he will be used in the bullpen this year, see how the playoffs go, and then be a full fledged starter again next year with no restriction. 

I think the plan would be make him an opener for two months and then ramp him back up to a starter before the playoffs.  Two NL GMs that Jim Bowden talked to who have interest in Crochet said as much.  And I think that plan could potentially work, although it certainly comes with risk.  That being said, there is no player available who could have a potentially bigger impact in October than Crochet.  If you’re confident in what you have to make the playoffs, he’s the ultimate World Series swing for GMs with big balls.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, ptatc said:

That will be a key. Do whatever they can to save him for the postseason. He can't have much left.

wouldn't we have seen a decrease in FB velo if he truly was coming to a wall? he was hitting 98 in the 2nd inning, I know he was hitting 98 to 99 in his last start

my question is, are they shutting him down because of something they saw, or is this 100% "preventative maintenance"

Pitching several times a week in relief, often back-to-back days, throwing as hard as you can, is supposed to be easier on his arm and keep him healthy?  Not to mention that he got hurt as a reliever and has stayed health as a starter.

Pitch him every 6 days and cap his pitches/innings.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, joejoesox said:

wouldn't we have seen a decrease in FB velo if he truly was coming to a wall? he was hitting 98 in the 2nd inning, I know he was hitting 98 to 99 in his last start

my question is, are they shutting him down because of something they saw, or is this 100% "preventative maintenance"

This is the big question. Would a decrease in velocity indicate fatigue or that tissue is breaking down.  He could be getting fatigued but working harder to compensate and causing long term issues. How much of a chance do they want to take that it's an injury happening not just fatigue. 

2 hours ago, GreenSox said:

Pitching several times a week in relief, often back-to-back days, throwing as hard as you can, is supposed to be easier on his arm and keep him healthy?  Not to mention that he got hurt as a reliever and has stayed health as a starter.

Pitch him every 6 days and cap his pitches/innings.

It very well be can easier on the arm for some pitchers. Some just don't naturally have that endurance to hold their velocity and stuff with multiple innings.  Everyone is different. For some starting is easier for others it's shorter outing more often.

Either one CAN work. They need to find out what works best for him. Because this role is new to him there is no track record. But the underlying principle is that he has to picltch many fewer innings.

Edited by ptatc

1 hour ago, ptatc said:

It very well be can easier on the arm for some pitchers. Some just don't naturally have that endurance to hold their velocity and stuff with multiple innings.  Everyone is different. For some starting is easier for others it's shorter outing more often.

Either one CAN work. They need to find out what works best for him. Because this role is new to him there is no track record. But the underlying principle is that he has to picltch many fewer innings.

But the relief role is not new to him; we saw how that worked out.  And not just once.

39 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

But the relief role is not new to him; we saw how that worked out.  And not just once.

True. That's why it's a dilemma. How to decrease the innings since he has so many but keep him ready for the post season. Is he more worth the a playoff team as a 1 inning closer or a one inning opener. If he stays with the Sox just do the 1 inning opener as results don't matter.

4 minutes ago, ptatc said:

True. That's why it's a dilemma. How to decrease the innings since he has so many but keep him ready for the post season. Is he more worth the a playoff team as a 1 inning closer or a one inning opener. If he stays with the Sox just do the 1 inning opener as results don't matter.

I would just tone down what they've been doing: 5 or 6 days between starts and limit the pitches to 50-60.  And watch him and communicate with him.  Adjust accordingly.  

I wouldn't automatically assume that 1-2 inning pitching is helpful.

2 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

I would just tone down what they've been doing: 5 or 6 days between starts and limit the pitches to 50-60.  And watch him and communicate with him.  Adjust accordingly.  

I wouldn't automatically assume that 1-2 inning pitching is helpful.

I wouldn't.  They are playing with fire already. Too much talent to take that chance.

1 hour ago, ptatc said:

I wouldn't.  They are playing with fire already. Too much talent to take that chance.

Do you think they probably overused him to this point? Honestly I don't think anyone would say that they've been conservative with his innings thus far.  this is why I feel like they were always going to trade him before the deadline, they were showcasing Crochet

20 minutes ago, joejoesox said:

Do you think they probably overused him to this point? Honestly I don't think anyone would say that they've been conservative with his innings thus far.  this is why I feel like they were always going to trade him before the deadline, they were showcasing Crochet

I would say they overused him in an entire season sense. He has held up to the workload well so its not a short term issue. However he is already double his previous season high. He is already at more innings than conventional philosophy would say he should go or at least close to the high end of it.

They are just pushing it with adding more innings. It's not just this season but what he looks like next year.

Most pitchers that pitch in the post season say they aren't the same the next year just from the extra time and innings with that. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...