White Sox vs Pirates July 12 game thread

6 minutes ago, fathom said:

It seems very obvious that Eloy isn’t close to being healthy, and it’s completely ruined his swing

It was obvious his first game back when he could barely jog to first base.  Like SS2K5 said, the Sox will do the same stupid s%*# with Moncada.  Basically blow any chance of these two bums getting healthy to deal them for anything by the trade deadline.  The Sox rehab their players in the majors and just tell them to home run trot to first base on any contact.

Even Sox apologist Chuck Garfien has been wondering in the postgame shows why Eloy is playing when he can barely jog to first base.  Getz’s roster management has been absolute clown shoes this season.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

2 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

That All-Star Game appearance is more important to the Sox than anything else, haha.  They get a chance to showcase Crochet on the big stage.

Has it ever once crossed your mind it might be important to Crochet also ? He could certainly turn it down like some players do who might have minor injuries or don't want to pitch if it messes with their routine.

The All-Star break is a logical place to give him rest in a plan to curtail his innings in the 2nd half and still let him pitch in the All-Star game if he would like to.

I think the Sox are handling him as if he will still pitch with them.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Has it ever once crossed your mind it might be important to Crochet also ? He could certainly turn it down like some players do who might have minor injuries or don't want to pitch if it messes with their routine.

The All-Star break is a logical place to give him rest in a plan to curtail his innings in the 2nd half and still let him pitch in the All-Star game if he would like to.

I think the Sox are handling him as if he will still pitch with them.

Sure it did, and of course he wants to pitch in the All-Star Game.

Your last sentence is a bit naive however.  Jerry’s mouthpiece has already spoken, and he gawn.  In general, outside of this All-Star Game appearance, the Sox have been pitching Crochet like they know they won’t own the risk of him throwing too many innings going forward.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/columnist/bob-nightengale/2024/06/30/mlb-awards-first-half-all-star-game/74258656007/

– The Chicago White Sox quietly engaged in brief contract extension talks with ace Garrett Crochet, but with no optimism towards reaching an agreement, the White Sox intend to trade him by the July 30 trade deadline.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

Anyone “complaining” just wanted to see more of Crochet, selfishly or not.  I’m sure they realize it was the right move.

So basically you're saying the Sox are damned if they do and damned if they don't so they can't do anything with Crochet that isn't met with scorn by the fanbase.

So you have carte blanche to rip them to shreds either way.

Pitch him and they are abusing poor stupid Garrett Crochet who surely is just a mindless boob doing everything the Sox want with no regard to his health.

Or they rest him at the perfect time to rest him and suddenly it's the Sox wanting to showcase him for the big upcoming trade with no regard to poor stupid Garrett Crochet.

You know Crochet has been fine with what's happened this year don't you ? He was involved with how they  constructed a plan and it was because of that plan by Crochet, Bannister,Katz and Getz that he has the opportunity to be an All Star and possibly become a very wealthy young man if he can manage to stay healthy enough and pitch well enough for over 2 more years.

• Like 1
  • TLR 1

23 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

So basically you're saying the Sox are damned if they do and damned if they don't so they can't do anything with Crochet that isn't met with scorn by the fanbase.

Pitch him and they are abusing poor stupid Garrett Crochet who surely is just a mindless boob doing everything the Sox want with no regard to his health.

Or they rest him at the perfect time to rest him and suddenly it's the Sox wanting to showcase him for the big upcoming trade with no regard to poor stupid Garrett Crochet.

You know Crochet has been fine with what's happened this year don't you ? He was involved with how they  constructed a plan and it was because of that plan by Crochet, Bannister,Katz and Getz that he has the opportunity to be an All Star and possibly become a very wealthy young man if he can manage to stay healthy enough and pitch well enough for over 2 more years.

Are you like an old man yelling at the kids that ride their scooters past your lawn or something?  Look at the Sox record.  At this point, does it matter if they pitch Crochet for only 2 innings or 9 innings against any opponent?  A win or a loss at this point means jack squat cuz the Sox are trash.

I agree that they set this up so he can get an All-Star Game appearance.  But in the larger scheme of things, I don’t think the Sox are too concerned with his innings count because they know they are trading him soon and he won’t be their problem (innings limit or performance decline) in a couple weeks.

What part don’t you understand?

Edited by WhiteSox2023

16 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

I wonder what the MLB record is for the most losses by a team at the All-Star break?

I just took a guess and looked up the 2003 Detroit Tigers schedule.  The 2003 Detroit Tigers went 25-67 prior to the All-Star Game, which coincidentally was held at U.S. Cellular Field on July 15th that year.  I’m not sure if this is the worst record prior to the All-Star break in a 162 game season but it has to be close if it isn’t.  So our Sox have currently “bested” that terrible Detroit team by 2 games so far, depending on what happens in the next 2 games before the All-Star break.

https://www.baseball-almanac.com/teamstats/schedule.php?y=2003&t=DET

Edited by WhiteSox2023

15 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

I just took a guess and looked up the 2003 Detroit Tigers schedule.  The 2003 Detroit Tigers went 25-67 prior to the All-Star Game, which coincidentally was held at U.S. Cellular Field on July 15th that year.  I’m not sure if this is the worst record prior to the All-Star break in a 162 game season but it has to be close if it isn’t.  So our Sox have currently “bested” that terrible Detroit team by 2 games so far, depending on what happens in the next 2 games before the All-Star break.

Thank you.

2 hours ago, fathom said:

Crazy how bad this team will be after the deadline.

Commish needs to hit the Sox with the biggest fine in history in the best interests of baseball. Or demand they let fans in free.

• Fire 1

Schriffen is talking up the NBA Summer League and how excited he is for it.  Anyone else think he took the Sox gig to grease the wheels with Reinsdorf for a future Bulls commentator gig?  He sure seems to love basketball more than baseball.  He does have SlamBall experience after all…

Not to be debbie downer again but who are the Bulls kidding with that pick of Buzelis? According to yahoo, "Buzelis shot the ball under 30% from 3-point range during his one season with the Ignite."

Good luck waiting on him to be ready.

29 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

The 1962 Mets were 23-59 before the first of the two All-Star games played that season. The first one was on July 10 at Washington.

So it looks like the Sox do indeed hold the record! 

5 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Commish needs to hit the Sox with the biggest fine in history in the best interests of baseball. Or demand they let fans in free.

?

3 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Unless you are willing to pay him 200 or 300 million in a couple of years, there really isn't much of a choice. 

Someone's gonna pay him, might as well be Jerry and the partners.

48 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

WS23 isn't part of the fanbase. 

Apparently on the Mets broadcast tonight the announcers said that no team has ever had 69 losses before the All-Star break.

The All-Star Game as many know started in July 1933 at Comiskey Park.

Record setting! ?

6 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Once he showed how good he could be, the Sox let him throw without any concern for his innings cuz they knew they would be trading him.

There was at least some level of concern considering the majority of his starts he was limited to less than 90 pitches. If you go by pitch count, he’s thrown like 75-80 Cease innings

Just now, 4OCS said:

There was at least some level of concern considering the majority of his starts he was limited to less than 90 pitches. If you go by pitch count, he’s thrown like 75-80 Cease innings

Great point.  This is true.

I just looked it up. I was off slightly. Crochet was at about 1680 total pitches at 105.1 IP. Last year, Cease was at 1662 after 90.1 innings. So roughly, 105 Crochet innings equals 91 Cease innings

5 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Sure it did, and of course he wants to pitch in the All-Star Game.

Your last sentence is a bit naive however.  Jerry’s mouthpiece has already spoken, and he gawn.  In general, outside of this All-Star Game appearance, the Sox have been pitching Crochet like they know they won’t own the risk of him throwing too many innings going forward.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/columnist/bob-nightengale/2024/06/30/mlb-awards-first-half-all-star-game/74258656007/

I'm naive? I choose to make up my own mind while gathering as much info as I can. Naive is believing one source of information.

Contender's needs starting pitcher who can actually start games in the 2nd half and perhaps another 6 starts in the playoffs. That won't be Crochet . He also has a high asking price. I've always thought him and Robert both have a 50/50 chance of being traded. With that in mind , it's a coin flip and can come up heads twice ,tails twice or once of each. Both traded, neither traded or one of them traded. If Nightingale is right it's not like it was some big revelation once he started pitching really well and if he's wrong I already gave you the reasons why .

4 hours ago, greg775 said:

Someone's gonna pay him, might as well be Jerry and the partners.

I can say with 75% conviction that Crochet will never get a $200M+ contract. Too many things have to go exactly right for a pitcher who has no track record of pitching one full season yet and no track record of health. Why anyone would hyperbolize to that degree is insanity with so much working against him . Remove the fanaticism and give it odds like Vegas does. Vegas might give you 2-1 odds against him ever getting a contract like that.

As much as I think he's much bigger and stronger than he's ever been , he's got to be great and healthy for the rest of this year and  2 more years in 2025 and 2026.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, greg775 said:

Boring loss. Poor fans. Not worth the price of admission/parking tonite.

This team has no clue when they have a bat in their hands, it is extremely boring watching these guys try to hit, it’s a damn shame because the pitching deserves some support as they have been pretty good especially the last 2 months.

Edited by The Mighty Mite