White Sox vs Pirates July 12 game thread

10 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Are you like an old man yelling at the kids that ride their scooters past your lawn or something?  Look at the Sox record.  At this point, does it matter if they pitch Crochet for only 2 innings or 9 innings against any opponent?  A win or a loss at this point means jack squat cuz the Sox are trash.

I agree that they set this up so he can get an All-Star Game appearance.  But in the larger scheme of things, I don’t think the Sox are too concerned with his innings count because they know they are trading him soon and he won’t be their problem (innings limit or performance decline) in a couple weeks.

What part don’t you understand?

Are you like a child that doesn't understand that Crochet has a big say in what happens to him ? If Crochet thought the Sox weren't doing what best for him he could say I'd rather do it this way just like Kopech . But since things are working out for Crochet sofar then we have to assume he and the Sox are in sync on his pitch count per game . Why does that make me the old man ? You're the one always yelling at the clouds about how everything sucks . Screw Getz screw Grifol the players are bums as if you didn't know that in the 1st year of a rebuild and with huge budget slashes that things would be ugly.

My approach is level headed, yours is very emotional . You wanted people to stick it to @JUSTgottaBELIEVE because Crochet went 2 innings and you thought it was the start of a permanent workload decrease right around the 100 innings mark until others corrected you that it was workload management for the All Star break and you said yes you guys are probably right.

• Fire 1

7 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Are you like a child that doesn't understand that Crochet has a big say in what happens to him ? If Crochet thought the Sox weren't doing what best for him he could say I'd rather do it this way just like Kopech . But since things are working out for Crochet sofar then we have to assume he and the Sox are in sync on his pitch count per game . Why does that make me the old man ? You're the one always yelling at the clouds about how everything sucks . Screw Getz screw Grifol the players are bums as if you didn't know that in the 1st year of a rebuild and with huge budget slashes that things would be ugly.

My approach is level headed, yours is very emotional . You wanted people to stick it to @JUSTgottaBELIEVE because Crochet went 2 innings and you thought it was the start of a permanent workload decrease right around the 100 innings mark until others corrected you that it was workload management for the All Star break and you said yes you guys are probably right.

Your premise is correct that Crochet should have a say. He has never been a starter and has never learned how to deal with a starters structure and load. He has no idea what he us doing. He is making it up just like the Sox are. He has physical limitations that he has no idea about how to quantify them. What is normal fatigue, what are normal aches? He could he doing long term damage to his body and he thinks it's normal because he's never experienced them.

Edited by ptatc
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Your premise is correct that Crochet should have a say. He has never been a starter and has never learned how to deal with a starters structure and load. He has no idea what he us doing. He is making it up just like the Sox are. He has physical limitations that he has no idea about how to quantify them. What is normal fatigue, what are normal aches? He could he doing long term damage to his body and he thinks it's normal because he's never experienced them.

I agree as I've said many times it's unprecedented what's going on and there is a good possibility it could backfire which is why I don't understand why other posts say that Crochet could be in line for a $200-300M contract. A whole hell of a lot would have to go right for a guy with no track record of starting pitching and poor health to overcome those thingsto be in line with that kind of contract which I said a few posts back.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I agree as I've said many times it's unprecedented what's going on and there is a good possibility it could backfire which is why I don't understand why other posts say that Crochet could be in line for a $200-300M contract. A whole hell of a lot would have to go right for a guy with no track record of starting pitching and poor health to overcome those thingsto be in line with that kind of contract which I said a few posts back.

I agree with this. But that potential is enticing. That's why the Sox have done him somewhat of a disservice by allowing him to throw so many innings already. However it has also showed that he can be a really good starter. 

14 minutes ago, ptatc said:

I agree with this. But that potential is enticing. That's why the Sox have done him somewhat of a disservice by allowing him to throw so many innings already. However it has also showed that he can be a really good starter. 

We all had very different ideas about how he would be handled that for sure when it was 1st announced he would be a SP. I've reread that thread a few times. I was conservative like everyone else.

I understand the line of thought that the Sox have done him a disservice but on the other hand they'd allowed him to stay in the majors rather than in the minors and reduced the time it would take to become a FA. I'm one of a few who thinks if the Sox offered him a conservative extension that bought out a year or of his FA years he would be wise to take it given his history but others say it would take $100M to get him to bite now . But others think I'm crazy because they think in 2027 ( 2  short years) he'll get a big payday while I think 2 years+ is a long time and a lot can go wrong .

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
bad sentences
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

We all had very different ideas about how he would be handled that for sure when it was 1st announced he would be a SP. I've reread that thread a few times. I was conservative like everyone else.

I understand the line of thought that the Sox have done him a disservice but on the other hand they'd allowed him to stay in the majors rather than in the minors and reduced the time it would take to become a FA. I'm one of a few who thinks if the Sox offered him a conservative extension that bought out a year or of his FA years he would be wise to take it given his history but others say it would take $100M to get him to bite now . But others think I'm crazy because they think in 2027 ( 2  short years) he'll get a big payday while I think 2 years+ is a long time and a lot can go wrong .

Sounds like they offered him something but he immediately rejected it so he probably is looking for something big or betting on himself for another year to get the big deal.

6 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I'm naive? I choose to make up my own mind while gathering as much info as I can. Naive is believing one source of information.

Contender's needs starting pitcher who can actually start games in the 2nd half and perhaps another 6 starts in the playoffs. That won't be Crochet . He also has a high asking price. I've always thought him and Robert both have a 50/50 chance of being traded. With that in mind , it's a coin flip and can come up heads twice ,tails twice or once of each. Both traded, neither traded or one of them traded. If Nightingale is right it's not like it was some big revelation once he started pitching really well and if he's wrong I already gave you the reasons why .

Sox luck. The quarter lands in a crack and is not clearly heads or tails.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, ptatc said:

Sounds like they offered him something but he immediately rejected it so he probably is looking for something big or betting on himself for another year to get the big deal.

Another 2 years 2025 and 2026. FA in 2027. Or whatever team he's traded to can give him a better offer on an extension. I'm still not convinced he'll he gone by the deadline, high price plus availability concerns after the deadline. If he gets 2 starts after the AllStar break it all be interesting to see how many pitches he throws.

30 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I agree with you. I think the only real option for a deal would be something like 3/$45m or 3/$50. Guarantee him 5/15 for his 2 arb years, and maybe you get a deal on a third with a buyout in case he gets injured again. But he's young and has little mileage on that arm. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

I agree with you. I think the only real option for a deal would be something like 3/$45m or 3/$50. Guarantee him 5/15 for his 2 arb years, and maybe you get a deal on a third with a buyout in case he gets injured again. But he's young and has little mileage on that arm. 

I wonder if he did accept a conservative offer if the Sox would still trade him and if they decided to keep him would they alter whatever plan they have for how much to pitch him the rest of the season .

23 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Another 2 years 2025 and 2026. FA in 2027. Or whatever team he's traded to can give him a better offer on an extension. I'm still not convinced he'll he gone by the deadline, high price plus availability concerns after the deadline. If he gets 2 starts after the AllStar break it all be interesting to see how many pitches he throws.

The  availability does decrease his value. It may be below what the Sox will take for him.  This is the downside of pitching hom so many onnimgs in the season so far.