New Colon Rumor

Chisoxfn

I guess the Expos don't want Brad Penny, that or their just wasn't much truth to the rumor.  It doesn't make sense to me.

I think the rumor is true, just waiting on the health reports. Once again I will state that nobody knows what is goign on except for the GM's.

I'm with ya on that Ian.

I'd make that trade if I were KW.

I think the Expos would too. That's the good thing...if they didn't, they'd definately make it if we took Tatis.

We'll never take on Tatis contract. I can't blame the Sox either cause he makes way too much although he is a very talented player.

According to mlb.com it does not look like Colon will be heading to Florida. So we still have a chance. Even if we are very LUCKY and get Colon, I would also look at sigining Rick Helling. Nobody seems to talk about him, but he is a pretty decent pitcher who eats up alot of innings.

Helling would be a sweet pickup if the Sox were to deal Wright in the Colon deal, then they'd be able to pick up another back of the end guy.

I guess the Expos don't want Brad Penny, that or their just wasn't much truth to the rumor. It doesn't make sense to me.

Its freakin hard to just sit and wait for anything to happen. Its so hard not to visit Soxnet and Soxtalk bcoz I dont want to disappoint myself again and again. But here I am just like you guys, true WhiteSox fans. Right now, I am just happy to see teams giving up on Colon trades bcoz I am really hoping we get him. I definitely want Colon on our team bcoz that gives us two 20 game winners(possible) and thats 40 wins-almost half way to a winning season.

Helling is a great pick up. How much would it cost us if we sign him? I would be happy to get Colon/Vazquez and add in Helling. The upcoming season seems promising with our starters already on hand and add in 2 veteran pitchers.

Helling wouldn't be too expensive. Realisticly we could add Colon and Helling for roughly 8-9 million for this year.

Vazquez and Helling would be a bit cheaper. I love hearing so many teams fall out of the Colon sweepstakes, but the Marlins are still their and that deal may go through if the Reds like Penny's track record.

The Marlins are offering up quite a bit, meaning it will likely cost the Sox more, but I'm more then willing to give up good players to get an ace in return, especially if they signed him longterm.

Helling wouldn't be too expensive.  Realisticly we could add Colon and Helling for roughly 8-9 million for this year. 

Vazquez and Helling would be a bit cheaper.  I love hearing so many teams fall out of the Colon sweepstakes, but the Marlins are still their and that deal may go through if the Reds like Penny's track record.

The Marlins are offering up quite a bit, meaning it will likely cost the Sox more, but I'm more then willing to give up good players to get an ace in return, especially if they signed him longterm.

Wouldnt it sound nice to have 2 ACE pitchers on our SOX rotation. Heck, I would rather have a controversy on who is our real #1 starter if we have Colon and Buerhle rather than going without anybody added in our rotation. I hope we still have a shot on Colon or Vazquez bcoz any one of them will fill a huge hole in our team. Hope KW do something soon.

Well if Colon goes to Florida then Vazquez still has to be moved and the Expos don't have any trading partners for him, so the Sox still are in excellent positon.

Simply Supply and demand, if their are only 2 suitors out their for 2 pitchers, your not going to be able to talk up the price.

I just laugh because when I glance at this thread I read Colon rumour and in my head pronounces it Col Un.

.................s*** OR GET OFF THE POT ALREADY YOU f***ING WEIRD HAIRED MOTHER f***ER!!!!!!!

A message from J.D. Jacobsen (Me) to KW.

Please don't tell me the "J" stands for Jacob :lol:

Am I mistaken, didn't Helling totally suck for the D-Backs last year?

Here are his numbers

He made 30 starts for the diamondbacks last season.

He went 10-12 with a 4.51 era and threw 175.2 innings. He held opponents to at .264 batting avg. He's currently 32 years old and turns 33 next December.

If I'm not mistaken that was his first year back after having some arm troubles, but I could be wrong. Helling was very sucessful in the past with the Rangers, but he's always had era's in the mid 4's and thats what you should expect.

Still, he can pitch innings, 4 of the past 5 seasons he's thrown 200 plus innings. Last season was his first where he didn't. In 1998 he won 20 games but had a 4.41 era.

apparently the marlins are out of the colon running according to MLB.com.

I can tell you that at this time, we are not optimistic, nor should we anticipate Bartolo Colon becoming a Marlin.

this is larry beinfest GM of the marlins.

the article can be found here

Thats good news. I love hearing all these teams drop out. Don't ask me why, cause I'm just getting my hopes up, but man, I'm just so stinking optimistic about getting Colon and having a shot at going to the series.

This is going to be the most I'd be willing to give up for Colon though.

Corwin Malone, Brian West, and Tim Hummell.

I'd also consider Corwin Malone, Felix Diaz, and Tim Hummell.

I'd hold off on giving them Hummell, but whatever it takes to get this deal done without giving up top prospects.

I can tell you that at this time, we are not optimistic, nor should we anticipate Bartolo Colon becoming a Marlin.

Thats good news. I love hearing all these teams drop out. Don't ask me why, cause I'm just getting my hopes up, but man, I'm just so stinking optimistic about getting Colon and having a shot at going to the series.

I'd hold off on giving them Hummell, but whatever it takes to get this deal done without giving up top prospects.

why not the superstar in the making by the name of jon adkins?

but here is what i was and am willing to give up, under the consideration of us sign him to a long term and in addition if the article was right about maybe getting vasquez.

rauch, malone, west, wing, mike morse, j reed and marte.

if they insist on a crede for taitis deal, then they need to throw in jose contreras, their slick ss, and rob caputo.

There's no way the Expos would take that. To get him, the Sox will have to give up one of the following: Rauch, Borchard, Honel, Crede, Garland, or Wright, unless we package up a huge quanity of our other good, but not great, prospects (e.g., Malone, Munoz, Webster, Ring, and Almonte, or something like that).

Well if Colon goes to Florida then Vazquez still has to be moved and the Expos don't have any trading partners for him, so the Sox still are in excellent positon. 

Simply Supply and demand, if their are only 2 suitors out their for 2 pitchers, your not going to be able to talk up the price.

I don't think they have to trade both of them; I thought if Minaya unloaded Colon he would either be at his budget, or just a little above (which he could then meet by dealing Barret, or whatever their catcher's name is or someone else in the $2 million/year range).

I don't think they have to trade both of them; I thought if Minaya unloaded Colon he would either be at his budget, or just a little above (which he could then meet by dealing Barret, or whatever their catcher's name is or someone else in the $2 million/year range).

but if colon is gone, he might be willing to let vasquez for more prospect and getting rid of taitis in the same trade. thus having a payroll way under what they may be wanting.