Crochet Trade Updates (Nightengale)

Figured this would be a fun one to discuss, so splitting out from the other miscellaneous threads.  Couple quotes from Bob on a potential Crochet trade:

While rival GMs are uncertain now whether Crochet will be dealt, the White Sox still fully intend to move him.

The White Sox are insisting on Yankees prized prospect Spencer Jones in a deal for Crochet.

Jones says that he’s flattered the White Sox and other teams keep asking him for him.

“Things happen that are outside of our control,’’ Jones said. “We’ll see.’’

The San Diego Padres recently made an offer for Chicago White Sox ace Garrett Crochet, but it was quickly dismissed.

Edited by Chicago White Sox
  • Like 1

I will say that Jones’ lack of hit tool development this year has tanked him value some and he would not be an appropriate headliner for Crochet.  While Arias is not mentioned, he is another guy many here wanted and he’s currently striking out at a +30% rate in Low A, so another guy unfit to headline a Crochet trade.  Feels like we’d Dominguez as a centerpiece and there is no chance in hell that the Yankees would do that.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I will say that Jones’ lack of hit tool development this year has tanked him value some and he would not be an appropriate headliner for Crochet.  While Arias is not mentioned, he is another guy many here wanted and he’s currently striking out at a +30% rate in Low A, so another guy unfit to headline a Crochet trade.  Feels like we’d Dominguez as a centerpiece and there is no chance in hell that the Yankees would do that.

I'm with you. The Yankees don't match up well at all.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

As for the Padres, I just don’t see a good fit even if they were willing to give up De Vries.  Baltimore remains the best theoretical fit, but obviously doesn’t feel very practical with how Elias operates.

I know Snelling has had a rough year but he’s only 20. I think a deal centered around Snelling and De Vries could get it done.

The Orioles have 3 top 30 prospects that they, understandably, don't want to move.  No one does.  But that's it for the top 100 in Birdland.  We could do a volume trade with them but it would take 3 or 4 of their 4-8s.

But really, these lists are so fluid that I just hope that the Sox are really just scouting these players and make a deal accordingly, regardless of what the lists say.  Last year at this time, Diego Cartaya as the #14 prospect in baseball and Dodgers #2.  Great headliner!   One year later, he's unranked and Dodgers #7, and that's after the Dodgers moved several players on their 2023 list.
DePaula was Dodgers #12 last year, behind of our very own #10 Nick Nastrini.  Now he's Dodgers #2 and #64 in baseball.

38 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

The Yankees top position players mostly flopped this year.

3 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

The Orioles have 3 top 30 prospects that they, understandably, don't want to move.  No one does.  But that's it for the top 100 in Birdland.  We could do a volume trade with them but it would take 3 or 4 of their 4-8s.

But really, these lists are so fluid that I just hope that the Sox are really just scouting these players and make a deal accordingly, regardless of what the lists say.  Last year at this time, Diego Cartaya as the #14 prospect in baseball and Dodgers #2.  Great headliner!   One year later, he's unranked and Dodgers #7, and that's after the Dodgers moved several players on their 2023 list.
DePaula was Dodgers #12 last year, behind of our very own #10 Nick Nastrini.  Now he's Dodgers #2 and #64 in baseball.

Still needs to be either Basallo or Mayo for me, if neither are involved then move on and I’m not giving them Fedde either 

• Like 6

29 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

I know Snelling has had a rough year but he’s only 20. I think a deal centered around Snelling and De Vries could get it done.

I’d be super nervous building a trade around Snelling right now.  Without having all the facts admittedly, I’d worry there could be some sort of injury contributing to his problems.  Too risky in my mind to be a co headliner.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’d be super nervous building a trade around Snelling right now.  Without having all the facts admittedly, I’d worry there could be some sort of injury contributing to his problems.  Too risky in my mind to be a co headliner.

The Padres prospect took a big step back this year too Lesko, Snelling and Mazur have all had bad seasons. Salas is hitting under .200, and DeVries has been meh.

2 hours ago, GreenSox said:

Outside of those 3, there is a steep drop off. I guess the next tier is Norby, Bradfield, and Beavers. But they are all 50FV types with a lot of warts. For Fedde, I could see Beavers and somebody. Personally, I like Horvath a little bit, but hard to see a trade for Crochet built on the middle of the Orioles system.

• Like 3

Just now, Timmy U said:

Outside of those 3, there is a steep drop off. I guess the next tier is Norby, Bradfield, and Beavers. But they are all 50FV types with a lot of warts. For Fedde, I could see Beavers and somebody. Personally, I like Horvath a little bit, but hard to see a trade for Crochet built on the middle of the Orioles system.

A combo of 2-3 of those next tier guys makes sense for Fedde.

It would take three Spencer Jones level prospects to even think about getting a deal done with the Yankees. Yanks doesn't have the farm to get this deal done.

edited to as not to disrespect the Metropolitans.

Edited by chitownsportsfan
  • Like 5

I'm afraid that both Crochet and Robert Jr are going to be traded for prospects. This will leave the team  without any good players. This will be like the last 3 years of the second Bill Veeck ownership (1978-1980). There was no hope in those years and i see the same thing happening  here.

• Thanks 1
  • TLR 1

4 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

I'm afraid that both Crochet and Robert Jr are going to be traded for prospects. This will leave the team  without any good players. This will be like the last 3 years of the second Bill Veeck ownership (1978-1980). There was no hope in those years and i see the same thing happening  here.

How were we this year with 2 good players?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1

9 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

How were we this year with 2 good players?

Obviously not good. I would rather add good players to the team and keep Crochet and Robert Jr.

• Thanks 1
  • TLR 1

10 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

Obviously not good. I would rather add good players to the team and keep Crochet and Robert Jr.

Who is going to add 50 wins that this team will spend to add next year?

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Who is going to add 50 wins that this team will spread to add next year?

The White Sox could have traded for Luis Arraez and Jorge Lopez. It would not have cost  them that much and the team would have been better off.

Just now, WBWSF said:

The White Sox could have traded for Luis Arraez and Jorge Lopez. It would not have cost  them that much and the team would have been better off.

5 wins?  Maybe 10?  So now we lose 110 games instead of 120, and gave up a ton of prospect capital to do it. You also now lost Lopez to free agency.

5 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

5 wins?  Maybe 10?  So now we lose 110 games instead of 120, and gave up a ton of prospect capital to do it. You also now lost Lopez to free agency.

Getting Arraez for 2 years is well worth it to me. I would rather have Lopez coming out of the bullpen  now than  most present White Sox relievers. Keep in mind both of these payers were acquired for next to nothing.

When the 2023 collapse happened, it was clear that they were going to have to get rid of EVERYONE. Replacing an entire failed roster is easier said than done. Given the fact that they got rid of their entire starting rotation and 90% of their bullpen, the pitching has been reasonable. With the lingering injuries and the bad approaches that have been exposed in the last three seasons, this team simply can't score. I guess getting someone like Soto might have made them closer to a .500 team, otherwise, it was always going to be some version of this.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

Getting Arraez for 2 years is well worth it to me. I would rather have Lopez coming out of the bullpen  now than  most present White Sox relievers. Keep in mind both of these payers were acquired for next to nothing.

Two players make almost no difference.   This team needs to make up 50 wins.  50.  Arraez at his mid season price means you still miss him for 2 months.

13 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

Neither of whom would have moved the needle when the rest of the roster is this bad.