Crochet Trade Updates (Nightengale)

13 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

2030 doesn't seem so crazy now.

12 hours ago, baseball_gal_aly said:

2030 seems optimistic. 

According to you guys, delaying Crochet and Robert trades by 3-4 months will set the team back years?  Come on. 

Edited by Nardiwashere

3 minutes ago, Nardiwashere said:

According to you guys, delaying Crochet and Robert trades by 3-4 months will set the team back years?  Come on. 

The farm system is not top tier. This year’s draft did not yield a highly thought of bat. The trade deadline did not yield a high impact bat, nor did it demonstrate competence by this FO group. There is absolutely no reason to be optimistic about the near to mid-range future of this team. I don’t think delaying these trades lowered the value of these players, but how Getz et al did at the TDL certainly lowered my expectations on what they will get for those players. I can never remember a Sox outlook this bleak. Bonemer and Wolkow basically both have to be stars for them to get out of this. Unlikely.

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

14 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

The farm system is not top tier. This year’s draft did not yield a highly thought of bat. The trade deadline did not yield a high impact bat, nor did it demonstrate competence by this FO group. There is absolutely no reason to be optimistic about the near to mid-range future of this team. I don’t think delaying these trades lowered the value of these players, but how Getz et al did at the TDL certainly lowered my expectations on what they will get for those players. I can never remember a Sox outlook this bleak. Bonemer and Wolkow basically both have to be stars for them to get out of this. Unlikely.

Fangraphs has the Sox farm system as #3 in MLB now. After they trade Crochet and Robert this offseason they’ll be #1. Additionally, they’re going to be bad the next couple years so more high draft picks and signing/trading of free agent rentals for additional prospects the next two summers. They’ll be a consistent top 3 farm system for the next few years so that won’t be the issue. The issue is will Jerry allow for high end free agent signings with the payroll sitting well below $100M in the coming seasons and will the Sox be able to develop their top rated prospects at the mlb level once they’re there?

Edited by JUSTgottaBELIEVE

12 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

This. 

6 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

Fedde's expected return by most on this board was one prospect in the back half of the top 100 and another decent prospect outside the top 100.  They got a guy who was in the 30's last year before he graduated and instead of a second piece, they got two single A players they like.  No one expected much from Pham or Kopech deals.  No one was certain we'd even be able to trade Crochet or want to trade Robert.

I don't like the Fedde deal and it was weird and we should have gotten another piece but people need to recalibrate here... the gap between what we expected for Fedde and what we got isn't THAT far off.  And Crochet/Robert deals are just delayed a few months until we can get a better package. 

The trade deadline wasn't some earthshattering even like people are pretending.  They traded some guys, probably should have gotten another player or two, and the two biggest trades got pushed back a few months to avoid taking a weaker package.  In the big scheme of things, nothing has changed in the last 10 days.

4 minutes ago, Nardiwashere said:

Fedde's expected return by most on this board was one prospect in the back half of the top 100 and another decent prospect outside the top 100.  They got a guy who was in the 30's last year before he graduated and instead of a second piece, they got two single A players they like.  No one expected much from Pham or Kopech deals.  No one was certain we'd even be able to trade Crochet or want to trade Robert.

I don't like the Fedde deal and it was weird and we should have gotten another piece but people need to recalibrate here... the gap between what we expected for Fedde and what we got isn't THAT far off.  And Crochet/Robert deals are just delayed a few months until we can get a better package. 

The trade deadline wasn't some earthshattering even like people are pretending.  They traded some guys, probably should have gotten another player or two, and the two biggest trades got pushed back a few months to avoid taking a weaker package.  In the big scheme of things, nothing has changed in the last 10 days.

And if you asked people here what they thought they would get for Fedde back in April/May many didn’t think they’d even get a single 45/50 FV prospect. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Nardiwashere said:

In the big scheme of things, nothing has changed in the last 10 days.

And that is why everyone is so bummed out. On talent, next year’s team could reasonably be worse. (And still have a slightly better record.) The Sox needed a game changer for anyone to start feeling good. Something dramatic in either the draft or the TDL. Instead, they got a draft fronted by a pitcher, and a weird deadline deal that literally no one, including you, likes. Feelings of despair and ongoing doom are not unreasonable. Just cuz you don’t share them doesn’t make them irrational. Betting the under on this current FO team would have been one of the safest bets in world history. You can feel confident in the direction of this franchise. I do not share that feeling.

39 minutes ago, Nardiwashere said:

Nah, the organization will set the team back years, hence my 2030 prediction months ago.

8 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

And if you asked people here what they thought they would get for Fedde back in April/May many didn’t think they’d even get a single 45/50 FV prospect. 

But it's not May, and Fedde is a Frontline pitcher

6 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

And if you asked how much Mike Trout was worth on the day of his birth, people would have said nothing. So what? Fedde outpitched those people’s perceived value. No one believes the Sox got fair value for him except the Sox FO.

Just now, Timmy U said:

And that is why everyone is so bummed out. On talent, next year’s team could reasonably be worse. (And still have a slightly better record.) The Sox needed a game changer for anyone to start feeling good. Something dramatic in either the draft or the TDL. Instead, they got a draft fronted by a pitcher, and a weird deadline deal that literally no one, including you, likes. Feelings of despair and ongoing doom are not unreasonable. Just cuz you don’t share them doesn’t make them irrational. Betting the under on this current FO team would have been one of the safest bets in world history. You can feel confident in the direction of this franchise. I do not share that feeling.

They have a great shot of landing the top draft pick in 2026 if that makes you feel any better? Grady Emerson sounds fun.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

They have a great shot of landing the top draft pick in 2026 if that makes you feel any better? Grady Emerson sounds fun.

Coincidentally, his projected deduct as a high school player? 2030

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

But it's not May, and Fedde is a Frontline pitcher

So all the critiques of Fedde from May were resolved two months later? No mlb track record, one year wonder at age 30+, etc.? Seems like many are playing both sides of the coin here. He returned exactly what I expected him to return. I never believed he was returning a top 100 guy. Just like I didn’t believe Jack Flaherty was either.

• Thanks 1