Crochet Trade Updates (Nightengale)

2 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

They could include Benintendi and actually use him.  

Stop this madness. What would the Sox really do with that extra $17M a year that they can't already do beyond this year?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Stop this madness. What would the Sox really do with that extra $17M a year that they can't already do beyond this year?

This is the same organization that thought Manny Machado would prefer to play one season with his cousin and BFF over 50 million guaranteed dollars. They are not a serious organization at all. There is definte smoke around attaching Beninentdi to a trade for Crochet. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Paper Bag 1

1 minute ago, LittleHurtCG said:

This is the same organization that thought Manny Machado would prefer to play one season with his cousin and BFF over 50 million guaranteed dollars. They are not a serious organization at all. There is definte smoke around attaching Beninentdi to a trade for Crochet. 

What an absolute embarrassment that offseason was.  The “Machado family and friends recruitment strategy.”  Machado basically played Hahn and the Sox to help get Yonder Alonso and Jon Jay a few million dollars.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, LittleHurtCG said:

I can easily see them doing it. I just have no idea why anyone would want them to.

4 minutes ago, LittleHurtCG said:

Smoke from where?  Haven’t seen a single person outside this board suggest the Sox are trying to dump Benintendi by packaging him with someone of value.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Smoke from where?  Haven’t seen a single person outside this board suggest the Sox are trying to dump Benintendi by packaging him with someone of value.

Let's hope that the White Sox aren't more motivated to shed salary vs. get the best prospect return. In a league with no salary cap (and even with the tax, the White Sox are not close to that), they wouldn't value payroll savings. If they did that, Reinsdorf would need to go into hiding for awhile and Chris Getz would have a hard time explaining how freeing up payroll (from a team that can/should add payroll if they chose) was the priority.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Lol... someone here said they heard it on a "white sox discord" and there are pages of the same 10 posters riling each other up over something that is highly unlikely to happen.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, spiderman said:

Let's hope that the White Sox aren't more motivated to shed salary vs. get the best prospect return. In a league with no salary cap (and even with the tax, the White Sox are not close to that), they wouldn't value payroll savings. If they did that, Reinsdorf would need to go into hiding for awhile and Chris Getz would have a hard time explaining how freeing up payroll (from a team that can/should add payroll if they chose) was the priority.

We’re on pace for 120 losses.  We need a talent infusion, not an extra $16M to go buy Santander before he turns into a pumpkin.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

We’re on pace for 120 losses.  We need a talent infusion, not an extra $16M to go buy Santander before he turns into a pumpkin.

That’s funny you think they’re gonna put the saved money back into payroll :)

Edited by fathom
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, fathom said:

lol…but honestly, they’ll have to spend it on something.  I can’t see us rocking a sub $80M payroll even when rebuilding.  And if they dump Benintendi, we’re basically sitting on nothing.  I just don’t see the allure of signing the tier of free agent that will likely fall off a cliff before you can ever be competitive again.

At this point I am already resigned to Gaetz not getting anything to a top 75 ranked prospect. 

I'm ok holding on to Crochet if teams do not want to give up top prospects and I think Robert just killed his value since he has become a strikeout machine in recent slump might as well keep him to see if he figures it out for the remaining of the season

6 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

lol…but honestly, they’ll have to spend it on something.  I can’t see us rocking a sub $80M payroll even when rebuilding.  And if they dump Benintendi, we’re basically sitting on nothing.  I just don’t see the allure of signing the tier of free agent that will likely fall off a cliff before you can ever be competitive again.

If they move Benny without any salary retention they have just over $30 million the books for 2025.  Unless they plan on offering half of a billion dollars to Juan Soto, the idea that they need the cash needs to stop.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, fathom said:

I can see them spending money in 2026, but this off-season would likely look similar to this past one where they sign veteran types to 1 year deals.

Assuming Crochet and Fedde are traded, they may look to add some veteran starter to a 1 year deal who is looking for a rebound type season to go with Thorpe, Cannon, probably Schultz early on and whomever else they promote from the minors.

Offensively, add in 1-2 veterans for cheap money again, maybe they promote Quero/Montgomery during the season, but it will be a season of young players they acquire today/tomorrow, maybe later (for Robert) and what they have.

Next year is probably a step forward though with younger players of value coming more regularly, but it's still possible they lose 100+ games again.

Probably 2-3 years from getting out of the basement, but to your comment, it's not likely they will ever spend on a big free agent with Reinsdorf running the show.  They will bring in veterans, but not elite difference makers, but they have another off-season of development ahead before there's any spending.

9 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Gotta replace Beni somehow.

40 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

What an absolute embarrassment that offseason was.  The “Machado family and friends recruitment strategy.”  Machado basically played Hahn and the Sox to help get Yonder Alonso and Jon Jay a few million dollars.

That's a little inaccurate. Machado had full intentions of going to the White Sox. He thought it would be a done deal, especially with them signing on the Friends and Family plan. With that stated, they played games with the money which you don't do with a HoF in the prime of their career. 

• Like 2

Just now, Romeo_Santiago81 said:

At this point I am already resigned to Gaetz not getting anything to a top 75 ranked prospect. 

I'm ok holding on to Crochet if teams do not want to give up top prospects and I think Robert just killed his value since he has become a strikeout machine in recent slump might as well keep him to see if he figures it out for the remaining of the season

I think trading Robert right now is going to be difficult to pull off. He just hasn't played that well outside of a few hot runs. Stay healthy, finish the season strong and see where thing stand. This could take until next trading deadline given how inconsistent he has been with health concerns.

Same boat on Crochet. Unless you're just focused on trading Crochet now, there's no real reason to do so. He could be the big fish in the off-season with more teams interested if he finishes the year healthy and the contract talk less tied to a playoff run....

If we are this strapped for cash I’d point out Hahn could have easily gotten out of Nicky Lopez after the trade and saved $4.3 million. 

• Like 1

Let's pretend Crochet is serious about an extension that would make sense for both the club and the player.  

The Sox COULD offer an extension along with Garrett controlling precisely how much more he wants to throw this year and next which could theoretically be way less usage than any contending team would push for.  

Sox are about the only team that could justify paying him and babying him for another year (other suitors would presumably be trying to win in 2025).

Maybe there is significant excess value to both parties in that situation.

4 minutes ago, bmags said:

If we are this strapped for cash I’d point out Hahn could have easily gotten out of Nicky Lopez after the trade and saved $4.3 million. 

Gotta draw those Naperville fans somehow

• Haha 1

Just now, GREEDY said:

Let's pretend Crochet is serious about an extension that would make sense for both the club and the player.  

The Sox COULD offer an extension along with Garrett controlling precisely how much more he wants to throw this year and next which could theoretically be way less usage than any contending team would push for.  

Sox are about the only team that could justify paying him and babying him for another year (other suitors would presumably be trying to win in 2025).

Maybe there is significant excess value to both parties in that situation.

Reinsdorf will never extend Crochet after the stunt he just pulled

5 minutes ago, bmags said:

Who else was willing to pay Nicky Lopez $4.3 million?