Crochet Trade Updates (Nightengale)

32 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Based on what I've read about Bannister, he wouldn't even want crochet to do that. They want to keep him throwing, just not a lot and at high stress (gtg there). Slowly Deload him without ever fully stopping. 

That means risk of injury and/or some arm fatigue and outcome regression. He's at the top right now, there's no where else for him to go. He can sustain it and continue to build value, but reality is he's gonna be innings capped ROY so not like he's going to establish himself as a work horse.

They could shut hom down from games and do side sessions.

4 minutes ago, supernuke said:

I don't see any way Crochet is available to pitch in October. Why would a team give up a haul for him now? 

Because when you have a precious asset, you dictate when it goes to market and teams either participate in the bidding process or risk missing out on it altogether.

After yesterday, holding on to your reasonably priced ace who can be an example to other, younger pitchers is not a terrible outcome. Manage the innings and get him ready for Spring.

Some notable names starting pitcher free agents: Gerrit Cole (opt-out), Blake Snell (opt-out), Justin Verlander (vesting option), Max Scherzer, Corbin Burnes, Clayton Kershaw (player option), Max Fried, Shane Bieber, Jordan Montgomery (vesting option), Walker Buehler, Nathan Eovaldi (vesting option), Robbie Ray (opt-out), Alex Cobb, Kyle Hendricks, Charlie Morton, Freddy Peralta (club option), Merrill Kelly (club option), Lucas Giolito (player option), Sean Manaea (opt-out), Michael Wacha (player option), Wade Miley (mutual option), Michael Lorenzen, Lance Lynn (club option), Kyle Gibson (club option), Luis Severino, Frankie Montas (mutual option), James Paxton, Jack Flaherty
-depending on opt outs could still be a good sellers market. Will probably have to wait until February again

Outside of the Orioles who seem to be done, there was really no logical partner for me.  I need a top 20 guy back if I'm trading Crochet, he's too good and has too much potential.  Unless Boston wants to try to make a run and hand over some combination of a Mayer/Anthony headliner plus lower level guys, I'm fine keeping Crochet.

Edited by JoeCredeYes
clarity

3 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

You got teams like the Cubs buying for next year right now. You could think your chances are better next year and try to acquire him.

That's the only thing I can see making sense. If there is a team that feels better about there chances next year and the year after and want to get him early. But if you have a chance this year you need your trading chips for immediate help.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Who are the fringe insiders you refer to?  Please don’t tell me it’s that footlongcomiskeydog clown.

He's one but there are a few others with different screen names. They did say paul dejong to the royals before it was reported

4 minutes ago, JoeCredeYes said:

Outside of the Orioles who seem to be done, there was really no logical partner for me.  I need a top 20 guy back if I'm trading Crochet, he's too good and has too much potential.  Unless Boston wants to try to make a run and hand over some combination of a Mayer/Anthony headliner plus lower level guys, I'm fine keeping Crochet.

Redsox and Padres certainly were logical

10 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Because when you have a precious asset, you dictate when it goes to market and teams either participate in the bidding process or risk missing out on it altogether.

True, but at the deadline teams are going to be more concerned with immediate help. Crochet likey won't be available for the playoffs this year.

7 minutes ago, JoeCredeYes said:

Well, there's very little chance of that. Aside from very few teams willing to trade a top 20 for anyone, we have Chris Getz who lacks the skills to execute such a trade (he let Mozeliak lead him around by the nose). 
We can keep him, but we're 50 below with him.    Hard to see a path to improving the team without trading him.