Crochet Trade Updates (Nightengale)

21 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Sometimes you are denser than peanut butter. I outlined why way before that happened why he was least likely to be traded than Robert. Sure that hurt but there were reports he wanted an extension from the Sox already out there. Wanting one from a team he'd be traded to with no guarantee they'd treat him like the Sox did was him protecting himself from being exploited.

There wasn't going to be many serious suitors for him regardless because they already knew he'd be unlikely to pitch in the off-season and he didn't want to pitch in relief. Pretty simple. Don't blame me that you couldn't follow that train of thought.

IMO, Crochet primarily wasn’t traded because of the extension demand.  That news came out six days ago on July 25th.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/40640468/white-sox-pitcher-garrett-crochet-wants-start-get-extension-traded

If you want to continue to believe you knew why Crochet wouldn’t be traded three weeks ago, and two weeks prior to this extension demand news coming out, go ahead.  You do you.  I disagree and think it was the extension demand.

Also, the report was that the Sox had preliminary talks with him about an extension which Crochet quickly rebuffed.  The more recent news from a week ago was that he was demanding an extension to pitch in the postseason.  At least get the story straight.  Those are not the same tidbits of news at all.

Being up close to an innings limit is not the same thing as demanding an extension to pitch in the playoffs.  A team acquiring Crochet could work around the innings limit, but may be scared away from acquiring him due to an extension demand.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

1 minute ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

IMO, Crochet primarily wasn’t traded because of the extension demand.  That news came out six days ago on July 25th.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/40640468/white-sox-pitcher-garrett-crochet-wants-start-get-extension-traded

If you want to continue to believe you knew why Crochet wouldn’t be traded three weeks ago, and two weeks prior to this extension demand news coming out, go ahead.  You do you.  I disagree and think it was the extension demand.

I think it was always a coin flip that he would be moved.

46 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Also, the report was that the Sox had preliminary talks with him about an extension which Crochet quickly rebuffed.  The more recent news from a week ago was that he was demanding an extension to pitch in the postseason.  At least get the story straight.  Those are not the same tidbits of news at all.

Being up close to an innings limit is not the same thing as demanding an extension to pitch in the playoffs.  A team acquiring Crochet could work around the innings limit, but may be scared away from acquiring him due to an extension demand.

@Bob Sacamano said the same thing I just said in his answer to your post and you gave him a thank you emoji.  How is what he said any different than what I said ?

And I did get the story straight . I acknowledged that when I started one sentence with "Sure that hurt.."

I guess he didn't call you peanut butter :huh
??

Maybe I need longer posts explaining step by step because you seem to interpret everything I say wrong or flat out falsely misrepresent it purposefully.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

53 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

@Bob Sacamano said the same thing I just said in his answer to your post and you gave him a thank you emoji.  How is what he said any different than what I said ?

And I did get the story straight . I acknowledged that when I started one sentence with "Sure that hurt.."

I guess he didn't call you peanut butter :huh
??

Maybe I need longer posts explaining step by step because you seem to interpret everything I say wrong or flat out falsely misrepresent it purposefully.

Bob said that Crochet being traded was a coin flip.  He isn’t acting like he knew exactly what would happen like Nostradamus three weeks ago.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

6 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Well the extension demand was certainly part of it but we also got reports from some of our people here saying the Sox insisted that anyone wanting to trade for him also take Beni's contract too and obviously no one was going to give up good prospects plus pay Crochet plus also eat Beni's money too.

That was never going to happen. At most, a very rich team might be willing to give Crochet a long term but team friendly deal and maybe pay most of Beni's remaining money too too but they prolly wouldn't offer anything prospect wise and it would be a Chernobyl level nuclear catastrophe if the bat starved Sox basically gave away an elite LH SP for just salary relief. 

The only thing that will change between now and the offseason is the extension demand. Crochet's agents will no longer have October as leverage and so the offers presumably should be more robust with that problem removed, so long as we aren't dumb enough to insist on Beni being attached again. 

3 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Well the extension demand was certainly part of it but we also got reports from some of our people here saying the Sox insisted that anyone wanting to trade for him also take Beni's contract too and obviously no one was going to give up good prospects plus pay Crochet plus also eat Beni's money too.

That was never going to happen. At most, a very rich team might be willing to give Crochet a long term but team friendly deal and maybe pay most of Beni's remaining money too too but they prolly wouldn't offer anything prospect wise and it would be a Chernobyl level nuclear catastrophe if the bat starved Sox basically gave away an elite LH SP for just salary relief. 

The only thing that will change between now and the offseason is the extension demand. Crochet's agents will no longer have October as leverage and so the offers presumably should be more robust with that problem removed, so long as we aren't dumb enough to insist on Beni being attached again. 

And if all rumors are true we have

-Demand for extension by Crochet

-Crochet turned down a Sox extension 

-Sox asked for 3 top 10s

-Sox were requiring Benny to go with.

It adds up easily to why he isn't here.

Apparently there’s openness to discuss an extension, but:

"Everything happens for a reason," Crochet said. "Ultimately, the right move was made, and here I am."

sounds like he’s disappointed in the outcome of being here. When you involve yourself in the process, regardless if you feel like you’re right or not, you reap what you sow. 

6 minutes ago, SkokieSox said:

"Everything happens for a reason," Crochet said. "Ultimately, the right move was made, and here I am."

sounds like he’s disappointed in the outcome of being here. When you involve yourself in the process, regardless if you feel like you’re right or not, you reap what you sow. 

He had a better chance of getting out of here if he didn’t talk about the extension and completely close off post season pitching. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, SkokieSox said:

Like I said, the punishment of staying with the White Sox fits the crime.

• Haha 2

47 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

He had a better chance of getting out of here if he didn’t talk about the extension and completely close off post season pitching. 

Im pretty sure that’s why he wasn’t moved. I can’t imagine a team willing to pony up for a pitcher in uncharted waters who most likely is going to need to be shut down soon, so probably not getting him for the playoffs anyways, and oh yeah you’ll need to extend him as well. It just wasn’t realistic especially after his stupid comments. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Agreed, except if the rumor of the Sox insisting on including Benintendi in any Crochet trade was true.  No team probably wanted Crochet unless he came almost free.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

1 hour ago, SkokieSox said:

Between Jerry’s lack of desire to spend a lot of money on starting pitchers and Crochet somewhat burning a bridge with Getz and the Sox by opening his mouth, I think it’s almost certain the Sox are going to trade him in the offseason.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Boopa1219 said:

Crochet for Bazzana. Who says no?

MLB, at least until after the World Series.  After that, I can't imagine the Sox, nor Cleveland being willing to make a deal like that with each other.  Past that, the Sox would need more guys that just Bazzana to make a deal in theory with anyone else.

• Like 2

On 8/1/2024 at 9:47 AM, SoCalChiSox said:

Hopefully Chicago.

We need at least a pair of Top 100 bats plus another decent prospect.

If the Sox (had it to give) had given up that much to acquire Crochet with his injury history every fan here would be outraged. Except my buddy @greg775 who always finds the hidden rational of a contrary point of view. 

If if if Crochet can pull off pitching the rest of the season without a huge drop off then his value might come close to the haul. I don't think anyone in their right mind last week would give up that much for a guy with his history. That's the number one reason he wasn't moved. The rest just added to the problem. 

• Thanks 1

On 7/31/2024 at 10:18 AM, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

It doesn’t matter. ?

On 7/31/2024 at 11:02 AM, WhiteSox2023 said:

Bob said that Crochet being traded was a coin flip.  He isn’t acting like he knew exactly what would happen like Nostradamus three weeks ago.

My post history shows what I predicted over and over and that was the end result . Predicting an exact sequence of events is impossible so why would you think I would know EXACTLY what would happen ? I'm acting like I had an opinion on that the original poll question asked about who would be traded and the ensuing reasons that I felt that way.

The discussion has always been would Crochet and Robert be traded ? My answer was consistently no for both even when you insisted I was naive because I still believed Crochet wouldn't be traded even after Nightingale said he most certainly would be. You were dead wrong aligning yourself with Nightengale and are pissed that through it all I stuck to my guns . You have consistently pushed back against my opinions by failing to understand  that the likelihood of him or Robert being traded was slim from the start because of major red flags and asking price.

The extension announcement never changed that calculus .

The only thing that changed was Crochet driving home this point :

If I stay healthy enough to make it through a full season I will have pitched way more innings than most have expected. Frankly I am already past that point. I attribute this to the routine I am on. Expecting me to go even further beyond that point and pitch in the post season and possibly change my routine is extremely risky not only to my health and ability to bounce back next year but also to my career earnings ability. I will not be forced into a position that compromises those things without compensation. 

It's real easy to understand that side of his argument . He was already above and beyond limits not many expected him to reach . He would rather stick to his routine rather than alter it and risk his whole career .

Essentially without an extension a team would be telling him to do things that could cost him $100,000,000M+ .Would you do that ?

Staying with the Sox at least insured that he can continue to do things his way.

44 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

My post history shows what I predicted over and over and that was the end result . Predicting an exact sequence of events is impossible so why would you think I would know EXACTLY what would happen ? I'm acting like I had an opinion on that the original poll question asked about who would be traded and the ensuing reasons that I felt that way.

The discussion has always been would Crochet and Robert be traded ? My answer was consistently no for both even when you insisted I was naive because I still believed Crochet wouldn't be traded even after Nightingale said he most certainly would be. You were dead wrong aligning yourself with Nightengale and are pissed that through it all I stuck to my guns . You have consistently pushed back against my opinions by failing to understand  that the likelihood of him or Robert being traded was slim from the start because of major red flags and asking price.

The extension announcement never changed that calculus .

The only thing that changed was Crochet driving home this point :

If I stay healthy enough to make it through a full season I will have pitched way more innings than most have expected. Frankly I am already past that point. I attribute this to the routine I am on. Expecting me to go even further beyond that point and pitch in the post season and possibly change my routine is extremely risky not only to my health and ability to bounce back next year but also to my career earnings ability. I will not be forced into a position that compromises those things without compensation. 

It's real easy to understand that side of his argument . He was already above and beyond limits not many expected him to reach . He would rather stick to his routine rather than alter it and risk his whole career .

Essentially without an extension a team would be telling him to do things that could cost him $100,000,000M+ .Would you do that ?

Staying with the Sox at least insured that he can continue to do things his way.

Crochet just threw 4 innings and 77 pitches and gave up only 1 run against the Twins yesterday.  A contending team with a big division lead could likely have managed his innings/pitches better than the Sox and get him to pitch in the playoffs.  Teams knew about his innings count, yet were still interested.  Crochet then made his demand for an extension to pitch in the postseason six days before the trade deadline.  That is what truly turned teams off.  You did not know about Crochet’s extension demand when you made your claim that he would not be traded, three weeks before the trade deadline.  You predicted he wouldn’t be traded without the very news/update that caused him not to be traded.  The end.  ? ? 

Edited by WhiteSox2023

Per Bob:

The White Sox were never going to trade Garrett Crochet, or even Erick Fedde in the division unless completely overwhelmed.

While Fedde wound up with the Cardinals, Crochet will definitely be traded this winter.

The White Sox are expected to completely shut down Crochet at some point to help assure teams that he’s healthy and will be dominant again in 2025. Chicago believes his trade value will be much higher this winter.

2 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Being unwilling to trade in the division is madness. Doesn’t make sense when you’re going to be bad anyway. 

Especially when it’s a guy with only one year left. I’m sure it’s a Jerry thing where he thinks trading within the division is bad for baseball.

22 minutes ago, fathom said:

Especially when it’s a guy with only one year left. I’m sure it’s a Jerry thing where he thinks trading within the division is bad for baseball.

Yep, that is the kicker.  If it isn’t some stupid rule invoked by Jerry like you say, it means Getz thinks they will be competitive next year, lol!

If there is any truth to the Twins offer for Fedde, choosing Vargas over a young prospect like Luke Keaschall who can play 2B and CF with a full six years of control is a deplorable decision.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Fire 1

27 minutes ago, fathom said:

I don’t think it’s Jerry as we have traded in the division before and we just traded DeJong to the Royals.  This reeks of Getz thinking he can win a “weak” AL Central in 2025 with a couple moves and some added youth.

• Like 1
  • Paper Bag 1

3 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Crochet just threw 4 innings and 77 pitches and gave up only 1 run against the Twins yesterday.  A contending team with a big division lead could likely have managed his innings/pitches better than the Sox and get him to pitch in the playoffs.  Teams knew about his innings count, yet were still interested.  Crochet then made his demand for an extension to pitch in the postseason six days before the trade deadline.  That is what truly turned teams off.  You did not know about Crochet’s extension demand when you made your claim that he would not be traded, three weeks before the trade deadline.  You predicted he wouldn’t be traded without the very news/update that caused him not to be traded.  The end.  ? ? 

You do not know that he would traded without the extension demand.

Beside why you even upset ? If I picked a 100-1 horse to win a race and he won only because the horse leading the pack broke his leg down the stretch , I still win don't I ? Am I now required to know the exact reason why he won to cash my ticket ?

There were already plenty of reasons why he wouldn't be traded. The extension demand just made one more. I played the odds. I won you lost. Rationalize it all you want .