Crochet Trade Updates (Nightengale)

Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, baseball_gal_aly said:

I think they're a bigger deal than most want to admit. 

You literally do no research and just spit out pessimistic bullshit.  Go look at what free agents are signing for.  Jorge Soler got 3/$42M this offseason….if you think a $20M option for Luis Robert is negative value then you are totally lost.

Edited by Chicago White Sox
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

You literally do no research and just spit out pessimistic bullshit.  Go look at what free agents are signing for.  Jorge Soler got 3/$42M this offseason….if you think a $20M option for Luis Robert is negative value then you are totally lost.

I don't think it's negative value. I don't think it's a bargain. I am well aware of what FA sign for. 

I think there is hesitancy of other teams to spend that money if he can't play >100 games, which he has only done once in his career. 

Also Ken Rosenthal reported that other teams consider Robert's options more of a negative than a positive so idk why you'd have any reason not to believe him. 

I wouldn't have even considered it a possibility until Rosenthal's report. 

Edited by baseball_gal_aly

2 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

You think those two additional players would have accounted for 25 to 30 more wins to make this awful team competitive?

Thank God JR stopped responding to your letters with your offer to be the Sox GM.  You would be worse than Hahn and Getz combined.

II was just hoping to be interviewed for the GM job. JR would have never forgotten it.

55 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

II was just hoping to be interviewed for the GM job. JR would have never forgotten it.

I'm positive he wouldn't have.

One good thing though, it may have been the factor that drove him out of the game. 

I would demand at least 1 FV60 guy for Crochet, I'm getting Dominguez from the Yanks, some of their fans seem to be okay with giving up Jones, but I want the higher upside guy in Dominguez

sucks that he's hurt though, again. oblique. and he had TJ last Sept.  I feel like this is a guy who you could fairly argue as a center piece for Crochet

1 hour ago, joejoesox said:

I would demand at least 1 FV60 guy for Crochet, I'm getting Dominguez from the Yanks, some of their fans seem to be okay with giving up Jones, but I want the higher upside guy in Dominguez

sucks that he's hurt though, again. oblique. and he had TJ last Sept.  I feel like this is a guy who you could fairly argue as a center piece for Crochet

Im personally not enamored with a guy that has 1.2 years of service already as a return for Crochet. I’d want both Dominguez and Jones to even get the Yanks to the table. 

3 minutes ago, GGajewski18 said:

Bob mentioned that Boston could explore a Crochet trade.  

They have some hitters that the Sox would love. 

If they are willing to start with Roman Anthony or Marcelo Meyer, they could make a case.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

If they are willing to start with Roman Anthony, they could make a case.

I would assume they would.  And I know Sox loved Roman Anthony when he got drafted.

Anthony, Yorke, and Cespedes might be able to do it.  I would want Teel in the package too though

• Fire 1

1 minute ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

They could do it and i imagine will be aggressive at the deadline due to missing the playoffs last year.

And the more bidders  we have, especially from the AL East, the better it is for the White Sox.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

Good. Boston matches up well with position player prospects. Meyer/Anthony/Teel. I believe the Sox were fans of Anthony in the draft.

Agreeed.  They may lack a 2nd piece, but I wouldn't argue leading with Meyer or Anthony.

• Like 1

Would be awesome if Boston jumped into the Crochet sweepstakes, could end up increasing the package from Baltimore, this is one scenario where having a stacked AL East benefits us greatly.  

1 hour ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Agreeed.  They may lack a 2nd piece, but I wouldn't argue leading with Meyer or Anthony.

Anthony's star has dimmed a little bit this year and Mayer's rebound year has been high BABIP fueled to an extent. I would still take either as a headliner, but there's a need for a 2nd piece and they won't agree to give you one of those guys plus Teel.

17 minutes ago, joejoesox said:

Would be awesome if Boston jumped into the Crochet sweepstakes, could end up increasing the package from Baltimore, this is one scenario where having a stacked AL East benefits us greatly.  

Neither Boston nor NYY will have any effect on Elias. 

21 hours ago, baseball_gal_aly said:

I don't think it's negative value. I don't think it's a bargain. I am well aware of what FA sign for. 

I think there is hesitancy of other teams to spend that money if he can't play >100 games, which he has only done once in his career. 

Also Ken Rosenthal reported that other teams consider Robert's options more of a negative than a positive so idk why you'd have any reason not to believe him. 

So you're basing your opinion on a guy that is a well known sounding board for GMs in exchange for access? Come on. Think critically. These are simply feelers to try and drive down Robert's value. Robert is a star. The 100 games thing is a canard as he played almost every game in the covid season, almost hit 100 the next, then played 145 last year and should hit 100 again this year. He's been hurt closer to 20% of the time than 40% and any team trading for him has to think they can do a better job than the Sox preventing soft tissue injuries.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

So you're basing your opinion on a guy that is a well known sounding board for GMs in exchange for access? Come on. Think critically. These are simply feelers to try and drive down Robert's value. Robert is a star. The 100 games thing is a canard as he played almost every game in the covid season, almost hit 100 the next, then played 145 last year and should hit 100 again this year. He's been hurt closer to 20% of the time than 40% and any team trading for him has to think they can do a better job than the Sox preventing soft tissue injuries.

I would caution everyone that Nightingale is no longer connected to the White Sox like he was once upon a time with KW and RH.  He now tends to throw s%*# against the wall..... 

On 7/14/2024 at 9:53 AM, GreenSox said:

The Orioles have 3 top 30 prospects that they, understandably, don't want to move.  No one does.  But that's it for the top 100 in Birdland.  We could do a volume trade with them but it would take 3 or 4 of their 4-8s.

But really, these lists are so fluid that I just hope that the Sox are really just scouting these players and make a deal accordingly, regardless of what the lists say.  Last year at this time, Diego Cartaya as the #14 prospect in baseball and Dodgers #2.  Great headliner!   One year later, he's unranked and Dodgers #7, and that's after the Dodgers moved several players on their 2023 list.
DePaula was Dodgers #12 last year, behind of our very own #10 Nick Nastrini.  Now he's Dodgers #2 and #64 in baseball.

Yeah once you get beyond the top 40-50, the next 150+ are pretty much arbitrary. The 202nd guy could be every bit as good as the 86th guy , or vice versa, in reality

• Like 1

9 hours ago, 2Deep said:

I would caution everyone that Nightingale is no longer connected to the White Sox like he was once upon a time with KW and RH.  He now tends to throw s%*# against the wall..... 

That’s a good point.  But do we know for sure that it was either Hahn and/or Kenny going to Nightengale, rather than JR?

Edited by WhiteSox2023

On 7/14/2024 at 4:37 PM, baseball_gal_aly said:

How can this possibly make sense? They're team options. The team can decline them. Someone please frame for me the argument that these could be seen as "negative value." The buyouts are $2M lol

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
  • Love 1
  • Fire 1

41 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

That’s a good point.  But do we know for sure that it was either Hahn and/or Kenny going to Nightengale, rather than JR?

There’s zero shot that Jerry Reinsdorf has any clue who a Spencer Jones is.