Crochet Trade Updates (Nightengale)

26 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

How can this possibly make sense? They're team options. The team can decline them. Someone please frame for me the argument that these could be seen as "negative value." The buyouts are $2M lol

You already answered it, but the only way team options are a negative is if the buyouts are very expensive.  $2 million is not expensive at all, and if Robert actually does stay healthy and puts up the numbers he is capable of, no team is going to find a guy like that for only $20 million in 2026 and 2027.

If Rosenthal truly said this, he and his bow tie are dead wrong.  This isn’t difficult.  Tell me one player a team can acquire next offseason like Robert for 3/$55 million.  Not happening.  And the buyouts are actually an out for any team that acquires him just in case Robert suffers some horrible long-term injury.

2024:  $12.5M

2025:  $15M

2026:  $20M club option ($2M buyout)

2027:  $20M club option ($2M buyout)

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Thanks 3

On 7/14/2024 at 4:37 PM, baseball_gal_aly said:

I don't think it's negative value. I don't think it's a bargain. I am well aware of what FA sign for. 

I think there is hesitancy of other teams to spend that money if he can't play >100 games, which he has only done once in his career. 

Also Ken Rosenthal reported that other teams consider Robert's options more of a negative than a positive so idk why you'd have any reason not to believe him. 

I wouldn't have even considered it a possibility until Rosenthal's report. 

2020   Almost played that entire Covid season, so shouldn't be penalized for a sixty game season. 

1 minute ago, DirtySox said:

Yankee prospect hype is the absolute worst. Spencer Jones isn't a worthy headliner for either player.

I'll take him for Kopech.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

Yankee prospect hype is the absolute worst. Spencer Jones isn't a worthy headliner for either player.

He's had an awful year, and has never really has had a year which screams untouchable anyway 

• Like 1

Just thinking in regards to Crochett and the Orioles as a potential landing spot. Kind of cool that Mike Elias is getting some really advanced scouting with Adley catching all three of Skubal, Crochett, and Mason Miller. 

• Like 2

On 7/14/2024 at 1:25 PM, WBWSF said:

Obviously not good. I would rather add good players to the team and keep Crochet and Robert Jr.

Sox have been too impatient and too happy dumping salary.  We could have had one of the best pitching rotation in MLB with a little patience.  Crochet, Cease, ReyLo, Fedde and Bummer in the bullpen.  Crochet and Cease are 1-2 in strikeouts in MLB.  150 and 149 respectively today.

22 minutes ago, hankchifan said:

Sox have been too impatient and too happy dumping salary.  We could have had one of the best pitching rotation in MLB with a little patience.  Crochet, Cease, ReyLo, Fedde and Bummer in the bullpen.  Crochet and Cease are 1-2 in strikeouts in MLB.  150 and 149 respectively today.

Lopez was a free agent last year.  It was either dump him or lose him for nothing.  They also did really well in that trade with another pending free agent in Giolito who was way more likely to be signed than Lopez as he had actually been dependable... up until his arm fell off.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, hankchifan said:

Well the problem was that our position players, other than Robert, either never developed (Vaughn) or turned to crap overnight (Eloy, Anderson, Benintendi, Moncada).

We just signed our best infielder:  Senzel.  

We didn't have to do it in 2016.  But in 2024, we really don't have a choice. 

On 7/15/2024 at 9:14 PM, Eminor3rd said:

How can this possibly make sense? They're team options. The team can decline them. Someone please frame for me the argument that these could be seen as "negative value." The buyouts are $2M lol

Makes zero sense. Teams have tons of flexibility and he has outplayed the value of those options every year (and even in his down year this season is on track to do so again this year). 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

He's had an awful year, and has never really has had a year which screams untouchable anyway 

He is like the outfielder Sox got for one of our relievers a few years back. Sox bought on hype of Yankees prospect whose star was fading. 

Name escapes me but he was a top 100 guy so he fit Hahns mo of winning the headline in a trade. 

1 hour ago, Chisoxfn said:

He is like the outfielder Sox got for one of our relievers a few years back. Sox bought on hype of Yankees prospect whose star was fading. 

Name escapes me but he was a top 100 guy so he fit Hahns mo of winning the headline in a trade. 

Blake Rutherford.  Zero power.

4 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Blake Rutherford.  Zero power.

Right.  We gave up Robertson for him, I believe.  Maybe Kahnle?? Didn't work.

46 minutes ago, oldsox said:

Right.  We gave up Robertson for him, I believe.  Maybe Kahnle?? Didn't work.

Yes. Sox got a package back from NY centered around Blake Rutherford for Frazier, Kahnle and Robertson. 
I liked the trade at the time. Rutherford was one of those up and coming prospects. He just never panned out. It could have been a combo of the typical Yankee overhype mixed with the fact that the Sox can’t develop for crap. 

When the Sox trade for prospects, I immediately hope they are triple-a players, close to the big leagues. Other organizations tend to do a much better job developing the younger players than the Sox do. Perhaps Barfield can change this everlasting trend?
If the Sox do trade Crochet, I want 2 high end triple-a prospects ready for the show. Can’t afford to trade for young projects that will inevitably fail like Blake Rutherford did. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, DirtySox said:

I would prefer Baltimore, LAD, or Boston prospects for Crochet 

13 hours ago, GreenSox said:

Well the problem was that our position players, other than Robert, either never developed (Vaughn) or turned to crap overnight (Eloy, Anderson, Benintendi, Moncada).

They are plenty around here who will argue that the Sox didn't have a choice back in 2016 either. We had to tear it down and tank back then and we have to do it again now. There is no other way! s/

4 hours ago, GreatScott82 said:

Yes. Sox got a package back from NY centered around Blake Rutherford for Frazier, Kahnle and Robertson. 
I liked the trade at the time. Rutherford was one of those up and coming prospects. He just never panned out. It could have been a combo of the typical Yankee overhype mixed with the fact that the Sox can’t develop for crap. 

When the Sox trade for prospects, I immediately hope they are triple-a players, close to the big leagues. Other organizations tend to do a much better job developing the younger players than the Sox do. Perhaps Barfield can change this everlasting trend?
If the Sox do trade Crochet, I want 2 high end triple-a prospects ready for the show. Can’t afford to trade for young projects that will inevitably fail like Blake Rutherford did. 

It was a big mistake to put all 3 of those players together.  All had at least another year on the contract.  Frazier was having his typical year (which never excited me, but a lot people really liked him).   Robertson and Kahnle were absolutely lights out, each with a WHIP < 1.  They would have done much better splitting those 3 up.  But, it's easier on Hahn to package them up and move on.

Just have to be really careful with any of them AAA or not.  Always AAAA risk.  I want players who are improving.

Just now, GreenSox said:

It was a big mistake to put all 3 of those players together.  All had at least another year on the contract.  Frazier was having his typical year (which never excited me, but a lot people really liked him).   Robertson and Kahnle were absolutely lights out, each with a WHIP < 1.  They would have done much better splitting those 3 up.  But, it's easier on Hahn to package them up and move on.

Just have to be really careful with any of them AAA or not.  Always AAAA risk.  I want players who are improving.

This was the deal - the issue was Rutherford already had his helium going out. Sox made the deal based upon intelligence from a year earlier and ignored more recent data which was indicating cracks in the armor / glaring weaknesses that would hinder his ultimate long term path (unless of course the Sox knew this and thought they had developmental solutions -> but given how Hahn structured most of his deals, I just don't think that is the case.  

I think given the lack of scouts they have / had (maybe it has grown) - they just aren't well positioned for those sort of things. I'm hoping they are doing a better job now with their scouting of other teams so they have the right intelligence to pick / acquire the rigtht players - given where the franchise is (i.e we are going to be selling more than buying) this is almost, if not more important than having the right draft scouts as Sox could get 15+ guys and more high profile talent via trades in the next few weeks than they got on the entire draft (in fact my expectation is they absolutely should get more value in next 2-3 weeks than they did in their draft). So how they have right process in place to maximize and target right guys is huge.  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

Yep. No more old dudes with no upside like Charlie Tilson, Ryan Cordell, Zach Deloach. Let's get some young dudes with helium. 

• Like 1

On 7/16/2024 at 11:34 PM, GreenSox said:

7 names? 

Trying to catch me?  C'mon now. 

On 7/16/2024 at 9:14 PM, WhiteSox2023 said:

Heyman thinks the Yankees should only trade Spencer Jones for Tarik Skubal, not for Crochet.  ?

They can keep him, and he can flop in their system. He's 23 in AA and his K rate has done nothing but get worse each year and/or each time he has advanced a league. To date this year in AA (a league he should be expected to perform well in at his age) his K rate is almost 40% (37.1% as of when I checked last night). He also has a sub 10% walk rate. I don't think any organization outside of the Yankees would consider Jones a headliner piece at this point, but I'd be happy to see the Tigers trade Skubal for a package headlined by him.

• Thanks 1

On 7/16/2024 at 9:14 PM, WhiteSox2023 said:

Heyman thinks the Yankees should only trade Spencer Jones for Tarik Skubal, not for Crochet.  ?

why laughing emoji, Skubal is more valuable and not on an innings limit