2024 Official Draft Thread - Day 1

Sox pick #5 tonight.  There are rumors that Travis Bazzana might fall to 5 tonight.....

I rank him and Condon ahead of Griffin (who I want if Bazzana is gone).

Figure we can start a thread of who we want and to talk about the upcoming selections. 

Happy Draft Day!

Let's transition to this thread for today's rumors and the actual selections. There will be spoilers posted in this thread as picks often leak out before they happen on TV. If that's not your jam, don't read the threads. We usually use spoiler tags, but can't always guarantee it.

Day 1 Draft coverage begins with a preview show at 6 p.m. ET Sunday on MLB Network, MLB.TV, MLB.com and on the MLB App, with the Draft beginning at 7 p.m. ET. The first round will also be carried by ESPN. Day 2 (Rounds 3-10) and Day 3 (Rounds 11-20) can be seen beginning at 2 p.m. ET each day on MLB.com.

https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-draft-overview-and-schedule

Edited by DirtySox
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm not going to pretend I know all that much about any of these guys, but I would not be mad if it ends up being Jac. The Sox need more power in their system incredibly bad. And if he turns out to be the real deal, he is a guy they would never get in free agency. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, PaleAleSox said:

I'm not going to pretend I know all that much about any of these guys, but I would not be mad if it ends up being Jac. The Sox need more power in their system incredibly bad. And if he turns out to be the real deal, he is a guy they would never get in free agency. 

And if he's as athletic as everybody's claiming, they can give him a couple of years to learn how to play a corner outfield position. 

Kiley's last mock. He has Cleveland taking Bazzana saying that the chatter about Wetherholt is posturing to get Bazzana's price down.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/insider/story/_/id/40548158/2024-mlb-mock-draft-31-kiley-mcdaniel-predictions-final-picks-update

1.) Guardians - Bazzana

2.) Reds - Condon

3.) Rockies - Burns

4.) Athletics - Wetherholt

5.) Chicago White Sox
Jac Caglianone, 1B, Florida

I think Cags is under consideration at every pick before this to varying degrees and won't get past either here or Kansas City with the next pick. Hagen Smith and Konnor Griffin (likely under slot) are seen as the other likely options for the White Sox and Wetherholt would also be in the mix if he's still on the board.

Edited by DirtySox

Kiley's added through the second round in his mock.

43. Chicago White Sox: Caleb Bonemer, SS, Okemos (Michigan) HS

68. Chicago White Sox: Zack Stewart, RF, Missouri State

Edited by DirtySox